Saturday, November 26, 2005



THE COTSWOLDS-PART 6


Here are a few more photo's of our journey through some of the villages in The Cotswolds, and some of the things we saw, as we drove around......




This is so very English, at least, we thought so!



And so...it was now time to go to Oxford...Ray drove us around quite a bit
to see the very very beautiful buildings...many photo's were taken by one and all...and as we went down one very quaint beautiful street filled with ancient buildings, we saw something else that all of us see all the time in Los Angeles, and in fact have worked around....but seeing 'The Modern" things we saw, suddenly there in Oxford, was a very bizarre and strange thing.....What we saw were these......








And anbody that has ever worked in film or in television, recognizes these wagons and dressing rooms; it means that there is a film being shot 'on location' and these truck like Dressing Rooms and Honey Wagons line the streets wherever they are filming, All of us were laughing because, here we were in this very special and very English part of Britain, and what do we see? A Movie shoot! So of course, we all wanted to know what was filming there in Oxford. Ray stopped and ran back to where 'the company' was settled in, to find out.
When he returned moments later, he told us that it was a movie about C.S. Lewis called "Shadowlands" with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger
and was being Directed by Sir Richard Attenborough....Betty immediately said, 'Oh, I know him...Larry (Betty's late husband) and I met him many many years ago....
let me write him a note just to tell him we were near by....' So she did write him a little note and it began, 'Dear Dickie....'. We all loved that!!! Dear Dickie...


Ray took the note over to the Company Manager or someone like that, and then, we were on our way to our 'Pub Lunch'.


Ray decided that a wonderful place to take us was to The Eagle & Child,
which he told us was a famous haunt of C.S. Lewis and his fellow professors and writer's
....and that was really special to us for so many reasons, not the least of which was this Pub was filled with so much history. I don't remember what we ate, but whatever it was was very 'Pub Like' according to Ray....A few words about Ray....He wasn't just a 'driver', he was an expert guide....Without him, our Cotswold expeience would not have been the very very rich and wonderful 'happening' that it was....He was knowledgeable about evey place we went and was extremely helpful in aiding us in our decisions about where to go...He was and I assume still is, A Prince of a fellow!






We certainly were a lot of picture taking shutter-bugs, and all of us are so very glad that we have all these wonderful pictures that continually stir the memories....(even if some of them weren't the greatest photo's ever taken....still, they were our photo's).....So, here are a few more of Oxford....





This building was extrordinarily beautiful, and I'm ashamed to say, I don't remember it's name. But it was a part of one of the many colleges...of that much I'm pretty sure....












By the time we left "The Eagle & Child" the sun had gone down, and the overall look we were confronted with as we stepped outside the Pub, was not Sunlight anymore, but it was definitely still 'Daylight'.....Ray then said that we still had time to go to at least one more village, and he thought we would very much enjoy Henley. And he was correct in his thoughts!

Henley was famous, even to us, because of the Regatta's...(we all were also aware of 'the shirt' named for Henley...
called, in fact....."The Henley". A classic three button shirt, manufactured by just about every casual shirtmaker in the world....)

And here in Henley, we saw some beautiful sights of the water and some boats, as well..... this was a particularly beautiful place, and especially so, as the light was slowly fading....These photo's were taken while standing on a Bridge, overlooking The Thames....





It was very impressive to see the Thames with all these boats that were just passing through at that hour of the night....this was not a Regatta.....this was just life, happening in this famous village....


On the other side of the that bridge, was this startling picture....many many people, still sitting outdoors, at approximately 9:30pm, having a bite to eat and a pint, and all enjoying the lovely balmy evening with one another.....

Beautiful, Beautiful!

(Just a little bit more to come, shortly, my lovely's......)


Support World AIDS Day







36 Comments:
had this to say:

I have always wanted to live in a castle! Though cold in the winter and a fortune to heat it would be a great place for playing hide and seek!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 5:32:00 AM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

This was a brilliant post! I loved it all.

I never saw "dressing room trucks" before. Pretty amazing.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 7:31:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love Oxford. It's probably one of my favorite places I've ever been. Some day I'd like to see Cambridge as well! Looking forward to more of the story!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 8:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful!

Here via Michele...

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 9:37:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thank you again for a quick trip!!! Michele sent me this time, we posted at the same time (lol)

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 9:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

So many memories.....we used to live just 10 miles or so north of Oxford. Nice photos, sweetheart.

And my elder brother rowed at Henley Regatta (one of the poshest days of my young life!) - he was a Cambridge Blue (waits while OOL looks up that particular English phrase! :-))

More, more :-)

cq

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 9:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That was a great tour of Oxford. You were lucky to catch the film crew. I've been there. It is beautiful.

Michele sent me here.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 10:01:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love the pictures! Loved the story about finding the movie set. It's been fun going on this adventure with you. You've definitely made me feel like I was "there with you."

visiting from michele's.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 10:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a journey! Thanks for taking us along with you. It was most enjoyable: I hope to see it first-hand someday.

Visiting from Michele's this aft.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 11:08:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm visiting you from Michele's today (I'm going out of turn, hehe)

I love these pictures. I particularly enjoyed the "doggie poop" sign - I thought it was so eloquent.

Cheers! I'm going to poke around here a bit more, if ya don't mind!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 11:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! Looks like a fabulous trip you had. My hubby and I recently found out that there is a hotel/inn/mansion in Oxford that bears our family name...not sure if there is any distant relation or not, but pretty cool.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out the meme. Interesting bit of Janis trivia!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 2:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The story continues to be great! Love the pictures! I had never seen the dressing room trucks before, either. I liked the doggie sign! I think we need some of those around here!

I just love all the beautiful pictures, and it sounds like such a great group to be traveling with! Looking forward to the next part!!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 2:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You write and describe your trip beautifully, enabling the reader to feel the trip themselves. You also make me realise how much we take places for granted when they are only a very short drive away.
The only problem I have is I can only see from part three onwards can I find parts 1 and 2 somewhere else?

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 2:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great photos. Would you believe at our new housr there is a path next to the fence. On that path there is a sign that says "Dogs not allowed to deficate" Very similar tyo the one you snapped.

Too funny!!!

I'm going to pull it down in the middle of the night cause I hate it!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 2:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm reading C.S. Lewis now, to sit at a pub that he frequented would be quite remarkable!

I so love reading about your travels! The pictures are wonderful! And to happen upon "Dickie" and his shoot....who would have thought! LOL

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 4:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Dickie lol I love it.
I adore CS Lewis's work ( adult works and childrens)
I have really enjoyed your trip "report"

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 4:29:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love the top two pictures! Just gorgeous.

Michele sent me.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 4:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful pics! Shadowlands is one of my faves!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 4:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

ps - Michele sent me!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 4:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks so much for visiting "Leaves of Grass" and for the nice and enthusiastic compliments!
I made a visit to your blog some days ago. What a coincidence! I will return soon. Love your text and pictures! Glad to meet you!

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 5:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Good evening from Michele's, OOL of the Hills

That sounds like a nice getaway for all of you, OOL. And to find a little slice of home while in England made it even more memorable, I'm sure. I'd never seen trailers like that before. Shadowlands was a pretty decent film.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 5:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

greetings! michele sent me today, but im glad because i hadnt been by and didnt know a new part was up! the pictures are beautiful!!

(i love the sign at the beginning but i think we couldnt do that sign here because too many of the people who live near me are too close to illiterate!)

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 8:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The photos are wonderful OOLOTH, and I am glad you posted them for us. I am still hoping to go there one day.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 9:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

was thinking about the movie shoot... maybe they were just trying to make you feel more at home!?! michele sent me again

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at 10:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi I'm visiting from Michele's and that was a lovely post.I'm glad that you had such a great time. The round building that you were not sure about is the Radcliffe Camera.
The circular dome and drum of the Radcliffe Camera is one of the most distinctive landmarks in a city full of distinctive buildings. The camera (the word means simply "room") was built 1737-1749 with £40,000 bequeathed by Dr John Radcliffe, the royal physician.

The Radcliffe Camera was intended to house a new library, and designs were called for from several leading architects, including Nicholas Hawksmoor (responsible for much of All Soul's College) and James Gibbs.

It was Gibbs who won the competition, with his elegant Palladian design, though his final plans drew heavily on earlier work by Hawksmoor. Gibbs was also responsible for the Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, in Trafalgar Square, London.

Originally the library in the Radcliffe Camera held both scientific and general books, but those collections were gradually moved to other University libraries, so that today the Camera functions as the main reading room of the Bodleian Library. The finished building holds some 600,000 books in underground rooms beneath Radcliffe Square.

Sadly, the Radcliffe Camera is not open to the public.

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 1:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Did you get a chance to take a look in teh covered Market in Oford City Centre...I love browsing in there.

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 5:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for that wonderful trip
It was AWESOME.Oxford takes your breath away ,Thanks for the smiles!:)

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 8:02:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great pictures. I love Anthony Hopkins (except for his scary Hannibal Lecter stuff). I just watched "Howard's End" a few days ago, and it reminded me what a fantasic actor he is. Shadowlands was good...

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 10:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love Oxford - not just the beautiful architecture, but the vibrant & varied culture that permeates throughout the city. For a short while I considered applying to uni there, but then I found out how much it costs!!!! But I love to visit the colleges, and the town (and the bookshops).

Nearly everywhere in the UK doesn't allow poop in public areas now - I thought it came over from the uS? obviously not. It's something that had very little dissention when first brought in - of course the stories of babies with toxoplasmosis may have helped.

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 11:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I saw the movie Shadowlands. It was so good.
C.S. Lewis's book, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has been made into a movie and is coming out early Dec. I am excited to see it.
I hope you did not witness any British dogs fouling up the grounds where you were walking.

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 3:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; I think a bad picture is quite often worth double that. Really though, most of them are spectacular.

I really dig blog posts that take the reader on a journey, and in that M'lady you were most succesful. Well done.

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 8:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

those were lovely pictures Naomi.

Monday, November 28, 2005 at 11:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi OOL, Michelle sent me, but I'd have been along anyway....looking forward to part 7 :o)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 at 1:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

OLOTH said: one very quaint beautiful street filled with ancient buildings

Oh, I don't think that they're ancient buildings... old maybe but not ancient....

A friend & I bumped into an American couple on the jetfoil over to Capri in the Med some years ago... The Husband was looking rather depressed so I asked him what the problem was.

He said: 'Everything is SO old here. The US has no history compared to this.'

'But you've got your history in front of you' I said - which cheered him up a bit.

I think he was bothered by an obolisk he saw in Rome... which was already 2 1/2 thousand years old when the Romans stole it - 2 thousand years ago - Now THAT'S ancient... (grin).

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 at 8:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Loving it, give me more :)

BTW thankyou for the lovely comments about my view. If you'd like to see more I have another (now dead blog) that was attempting to document the seasonal changes of that very view. It's at www.yearfrombalcony.blogspot.com. There's even some piccies of it under snow from Feb.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 at 12:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hi! just wanted to say thanks for your comment on my post about my mom. :)

Friday, December 2, 2005 at 3:41:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.