Saturday, January 21, 2006


"MARCH OF THE PENGUINS"

So I finally saw this BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL film...I found the struggle of the Penguins inspiring, heart warming, depressing, and tragic..ALL at the same time....What a hard hard life they have...in every respect! The adversity. Those 'Winters'...(My Lord...). The devotion of the fathers to their egg and then to the baby.... The devotion of the mothers...walking those 70 miles, 3 times....Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.....A beautiful and amazing film....the devotion of the filmakers to these dear sweet huggable creatures and the artful cinematography....absolutely brilliant!
These filmakers deserve any and all Awards given this year for Best Documentary...(It should also get an Award for Best Love Story...)


I've always loved Penguins and I'm not sure why exactly...but as a tiny little girl, maybe 4 years old, I had a stuffed penquin...he was so adorable and I LOVED him with all my heart...His beak and his wings and his feet where all made of black leather...his eyes were those little buttons type-eyes...and his shape was truly 'classic' Penguin...

I have one semi-vivid memory of being in some theatre somewhere...I don't remember if it was an Opera or a Broadway play or musical...or a Concert....(my family were always going to all of these wonderful things ) And I know, whatever it was, I either wasn't feeling well or I was kind of bored with it...and my memory is walking around a sort of lobby like place, with my dear Penguin and some grown-up BIG person, holding my other hand, (the one that didn't have my Penguin in it..) walking with me so that I wasn't just wandering around alone at four years old in this strange building....

My poor Penguin got relagated to the attic in our house in Great Neck, at some point...He wasn't put away carefully with paper around him or anything like that, but he was not thrown out, either...And he got moved around a lot and shoved here and there and somewhere along the way, he lost one of his wings...I have no memory of how or where or even of what happened...but no matter how tattered or torn he got....he never got thrown out...

My mother did a MAJOR cleaning out of everything in that house after all of us were living our lives elsewhere and after she had a very serious bout with Breast Cancer...She got rid of all sorts of things that..well...I sure wish she hadn't... My entire collection of Comic Books...(A Priceless collection...I cannot imagine what they might have gone for on Ebay, eventually...) My entire collection of Movie Magazines....the
Photoplay's and Modern Screen's all of which were collector's items and were worth...God Knows What...(more Ebay stuff...Good Lord....) But no, they went out with the garbage!


But, she didn't throw out my Penguin...(or my Giraffe, either)!
My sweet Penguin got put in boxes, shoved in corners, pushed and squeezed and pretty badly abused, but...she never threw him out...

After she died, a few years later....my siblings and myself had to do all those things that one has to do...my mother had lived in that house for 40 years. It was the house where we all grew up....and the attic, though much cleaned out and organized, was still very very full...other magazines---Life, Look, National Georgraphic, The New Yorker, Fortune Magazine, Esquire Magazine....and sooooo many more, plus all sorts of other stuff...a lifetime of living and four children, all of whom were and are 'collectors' of stuff and things...

My sister Gene and I spent most of the late spring of that year, plus the entire summer, getting everything sorted and given away and everything that needed to be decided on--furniture, paintings, silverware, china, etc., etc., etc., WAS decided on and though each one of us had to give up things we didn't think we could part with...we were giving it up to each other, so that it was still going to stay in the family...and our personal childhood things, if we didn't have them with us already, we got them that summer....that house would be sold since no one in the family really could or would live there...everyone's life established in other city's and states....

As I'm sure you can imagine, this was a very difficult and emotional time for all of us....but, we did it, and I think we did it well...
And so, finally, I had my few stuffed animals from my childhood in my personal possession...packed away once again for shipping to Los Angeles...and then...finally unpacked and put in a rather dear place by my way of thinking...out in my garage, in a Basket that I hung up right near the door that goes to the inside of my house, so that I see them at least once a day if not much more...and I feel like my Penguin and the others guard that door and me....protecting me from....whatever.




And here he is....tatterted and torn...older 'than dirt', as they say, but still with me.....

My dear little Penguin who has been through the mill...maybe not quite the mill that the Penguin's in that wonderful film went through, but, in his own way, he has survived evrything...and mostly, he survived neglect.

But he didn't get thrown out...and I'm deeply grateful for that...







47 Comments:
had this to say:

how wonderful to still be able to retain such a treasure from your childhood, naomi! my toys either got thrown out or were given away eventually. am making sure my little froggies never go the same way...:)

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 5:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love penguins too. But don't have a toy like yours. It's nice to still have him after so many years. Have you considered bringing him to the laundry for dry cleaning?

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 6:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I say let the penguin stay dirty. That's history on him! Neat story. Thanks for sharing.

And I just adored that movie too.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 6:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Isn't he a wonderful penguin; how lucky you are to still have him, Naomi.

I share everything you said about the movie. I saw it twice (took a grandchild to see it, and once with a friend) and it was better the second time. The sweeping expanses of scenery are mind-boggling and the devotion to each other and to the eggs/babies is priceless!

I have a new site map. Come and mark your spot, please?

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 8:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have been wanting to see that movie but haven't. Now I know I must!!

Oh, your penguin still looks pretty good considering his age and what's he been through!! How great that you still have him Naomi!!

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 10:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hi naomi! am back via michele's this time. have been trying to look for the dvd. hope it gets to our shores soon. :)

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 10:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've wanted to see that movie for awhile. I'm going to have to catch it now.

Here via Michele's. Have a lovely weekend.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

i really just love stopping by here.
so much so I forgot to post the post at the other Michele's before I came over.
ahahah

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I want to see that movie so bad!! I love your little been through the mill guy!

Here via Michele's

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 12:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This story is beautiful, Naomi!
What a vivid and emotional your penguin's saga. It's wonderful that you have your penguin, till then. Love his photo. He looks a survival. This penguin represent a lovely piece of your childhood.

I have a lovely toy from my childwood, too. It's a horse ( by leather) and my father brought it from the USA, when I was four. Till then I keep this horse in my bookcase.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 12:19:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You are so completely right about synchronicity! You celebrated National Penguin Awareness Day and you didn't even know it ;) lol

I've been wanting to watch March of the Penguins myself, but haven't had the chance yet. I think I would love it if I saw it though. You've certainly made me want to watch it!

And what an incredible remnant of your childhood there. It is so amazing the things that stay with us!

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 12:56:00 PM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

I loved the film "March of the Penguins." I'm so glad that you still have yours. I don't have a thing from my childhood.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 1:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Cool story........

I was reading it thinking 'did the penguin survive?' :-D

thank you, my dear.....wonderful story.

oh and watch my space tomorrow for a ski update...

cq

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 1:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have a Rubbermaid container in our basement with all of my stuffed animals from my childhood. There was a select group of stuffed animals I was not allowed to play with that were on shelves in my room. Those are the ones. I am sure that they probably have microscopic critters in them...but I love them.

Your penguin looks well loved too!

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 4:55:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That is just a beautiful story. *sigh* So great!
I've been dying to see the penguin movie, but I have a hard time watching animals have bad things happen to them, and I've heard that the whole movie isn't happy. I'm afraid I'll end up bawling. I'm glad to hear that the movie is worth it though.
Here from Michele's but I love your blog.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 4:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That was an awesome movie, and I'm glad that you still have your penguin...

Here via Michele.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 5:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

your very own velveltine rabbit.

great post.

cheers

from lower down the hill

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 6:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Reminds me of the Velteen Rabbit. You've got yourself a 'real' pengiun there. :)

Michele sent me over tonight.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 7:42:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

nice blog, here from micheles

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 7:55:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That is absolutely wild synchronicity that you posted this on penguin day...thanks for telling me...I'm still laughing about my pink post.

I'm having trouble with my template code and posting...the blog landlord is going to look at it tomorrow. I hope!

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 8:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Aww look at your penguin. So many of my friends have seen the documentary and have loved it. I can't wait to see it. Here from Micheles

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 8:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Isn't that an AMAZING movie? I saw it in the theaters twice, and on video once so far... and I bawl like a baby every time. It simply unbelieveable what they go through to have one single solitary egg.

And I love your little Penguin. He looks so loved. :-)

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 8:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I haven't seen "March of the Penguins" yet, but I plan on it...if you liked, I'm sure I will!

I love that you still have your childhood stuffed penguin! I have my bunny, but it's so tattered and worn that I don't even move it for I'm afraid it will just fall to pieces one day.

Thanks for the movie tips about cruises, I'll check those out!

Here via Michele's, but I'd be by anyhow! ;)

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 10:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Almost as if your mom thought you would need him again someday.

I saw the movie too. I didn't think I would like it, but I did!

btw, Michele sent me!

Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 10:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Your comic books would indded have been valuable on EBay.

That penguin film sounds beautiful.

Michele sent me here.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 2:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well I already wanted to see this film, but now I have to...

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 2:19:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I need to see that movie. I have heard a ton about it, and I love how 'loved' your penguin looks. He reminds me of my own stuffed animal love. I have misplaced him since the move from the west coast to the east coast.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 2:38:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh WOW!!! What an adorable penguin! I too, *heart* penguins and have a toy one too! My young daughter LOVES Mr. Penguin and likes to give him lots of hugs and kisses. She too must *heart* penguins. I have a little collection of all things penguins. There is just something adorable about them.

I do recommend seeing one of the worlds only zoo which houses King Penguins and that is Edinburgh's. Just brilliant. I was mesmerised there for ages... (And took many many photos). That was 10 years ago now but I am guessing they are still there.

I have heard about this film and I really must see it when it comes out here.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 3:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, this is an amazing story. I look at our kids' treasures - my daughter has a tattered bunny that goes everywhere with her - and I hope that they will somehow survive indefinitely. What touchstones that shall be.

You've tugged at our hearts yet again.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 8:54:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

how lucky you still have that lovely penguin! keep him the way he is. Michele sent me this time!

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me your way OOLH.

Your childhood penguin has certainly been through the wringer. The poor dear.

I've not seen the documentary. I bought two copies as Xmas presents and was hoping to watch one or the other before leaving--but to no avail. I guess I'll just have to buy my own copy.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

that is cool that she kept that all these years ..I have heard nothing but great thinks about that film ..I guess it is abouttime I break down and watch it ... :) Thanks for sharing the great story.

Michele sent me :)

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

ooops ..*things* sorry ...should have read it before I posted..lol

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by my place for a visit. I always welcome new friends!
I think that penguin you have is awesome and I would never get rid of it. I too, posted about an old toy of mine that I kept. You can see it here:
http://itsallaboutmeithink.blogspot.com/2006/01/peek-boo.html#links
have a great day!

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:32:00 AM PST 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

And that's why truth is always better than fiction...

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 11:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

what a beautiful post!

Here via Michele and me!

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 1:11:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I have one toy from my childhood that I keep tucked away in a special little box (to keep it safe from the dog!). This was a wonderful entry.

Kestrel

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 3:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Here I am again, and I still love your penguin...

Here via Michele.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 5:54:00 PM PST 

Blogger Joe
had this to say:

What a great post!

I will have to rent that movie, Have you seen Grizzly Man about Timothy Treadwell?

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 6:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Dropping by again via Michele's. Still lovin' the penguins :) Wish our Pittsburgh Penguins were worth mentioning.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 6:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i really want to see this movie.

i love your penguin! isn't it great to find a childhood friend like that! i still have my monkey from when i was two, but maybe you've read that post.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 6:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have always LOVED penguins. That is one of the coollest penguins I think I have ever seen. He is really and truly quite incredible.

This is one of favorite posts that you've written.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 6:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I cam via Michele toniht. We posted at the same time, so I didn't want you to get skipped.
Hope you had a good weekend!

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:10:00 PM PST 

Blogger Joe
had this to say:

Thanks for visiting my blog.

You should check out Grizzly Man. It is about a guy who spent 13 summers with grizzly bears...until one ate him (they do not show footage of that).

Really look into a man who was both compassionate and conflicted. Execellent documentary.

Monday, January 23, 2006 at 2:11:00 AM PST 

Blogger Joy
had this to say:

Love your blog and found it from Michele's. March of the Penguins made me realize that I never want to be an Emperor penguin. What a hard life!

I had a stuffed elephant I called Elbow. Unfortunately he didn't survive a bath with me from what my mother told me.

Monday, January 23, 2006 at 2:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love that movie as well. How cool that you have such a special childhood remembrance!

Michele sent me!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 3:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful story!

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.