Friday, April 23, 2010
"the red shoes"

"THE RED SHOES"



"....TIME RUSHES BY....
......LOVE RUSHES BY....
......LIFE, RUSHES BY......."

I wrote this Post back in early February, 2006. This Masterpiece of a film was on Turner Classic Movies, yesterday, Thursday, April 22, 2010. They showed the "RESTORED" version, which was thrilling to see.....I just had to post this again, because I want to share the great beauty of this film with those of you who may not be familiar with it. If you have never seen this stunning beautiful film, do rent it or buy it....It was released in 1948 but nothing about it is 62 years old. This is ART that inspires.....!

"The Red Shoes"
One of the GREATEST films ever made, and certainly the greatest film ever made about Ballet....THIS is a piece of 'art'. Truly, as if it were a Rembrandt, or a Michelangelo, or a Calder.....This film is GREAT GREAT "ART".

If you do not know it...RUN, do not walk, to the nearest rental place...But you better call them first....this is not a new film..it is old, well.....1948 was the release date...and ye it is 'new' in every way one would want a new movie to be 'new'.....

I've probably seen this film at least 20 times...actually, more like 30 times. It is never 'old hat'...never 'been there, done that'.....NEVER! And believe it or not, each time I see this film, I see something I haven't seen before...or, if I have seen it, it seems completely fresh and 'new' to me. How many films can you say that about?

It is as fresh and surprising and authentic as the first time I ever saw it, over sixty years ago. It is as current as human feelings are, and is so beautifully filmed that it puts to shame most of the films around today.

It is about passion. It is about obsession. It is about love...the love of creating. It is about creating 'art' and in this case the creating of a ballet and a ballet star, as well. If you do not like ballet at all...then move on right now, unless...unless you have a passion for creating, ...whether it be a ballet or a symphony or a play or a song or a poem or anything that holds you in the grip of this incredible process.

And if you love ballet, then you have probably seen "The Red Shoes" more than once. But, if you have not then you are in for a magical treat and very very moving magical treat at that...nothing like it before or since...nothing!

I recently saw this film again, and was so moved once again by everything about it, that I just had to share my enthusiasm with you...

So....I urge you with every fiber of my being to rent this film...(Netflix has it....I checked) or, if you are flush, this film might be one you would like to own...The Criterion Collection is the definitive DVD....

I began writing about this film a few weeks ago, (early 2006) and had no idea that it's beautiful star Moira Shearer, was about to die. She passed away a few days ago, at the age of 80. She was a Great Great Ballet star and one of the stars of this film, along with Marius Goring and the beyond-memorable Anton Walbrook...(who's line "....The Red Shoes will not be danced tonight...." stays with anyone who has seen this beautiful film...this speech and Anton Walbrooks performance, stays etched into one's brain, forever)....Miss Shearer played the leading role of the young woman who becomes a very successful Ballet Star. She was very well known in the ballet world for her special talents as a dancer, particularly with the Royal Ballet of England, originally called the Sadler Wells Ballet before changing it's name in 1956. She made a number of wonderful films and appeared in quite a few stage plays, as well. But most audiences today never had the opportunity to see her dance on the stage and know her only from this film "The Red Shoes".

Moira Shearer had this very beautiful red hair and a luminous presence both on the stage and in film and her acting and dancing were impeccable. So even after almost 60 years "The Red Shoes" has a magic to it that one rarely sees in films today, and certainly, this Masterpiece by the great C0-Directors Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, who's body of work would make a whole blog essay in itself....(Miss Shearer appeared in another film of there's as well, "Tales Of Hoffman"...) will live on for another 60 years if not 600, and beyond that...,

I know I recommend a lot of films, and it is because in my opinion I really think they are superb, and of course my opinion is very subjective and comes from what moves me and touches my heart or tickles my funny bone or means something special to me. So with that in mind, this film, in my book gets 8 stars...yes....8!

A love story that goes beyond the love of two people for one another...a love story that transcends into the love of creating 'art' with music and dance and illusion.

Every Actor in this film is superb...All the dancers are truly fantastic....Many of them famous as Dancers and Choreographers back when this film was made....The "restoration" is a true gift to us and to our children and for all future generations who value the importance of film and it's place in our lives......

As I said, it's Beautiful in every way, and is a true work of Art.


I just had to share this, but know, I will resume my "Ladies Who Lunch - Part 3, shortly....

More To Come........











32 Comments:
had this to say:

sounds like a delightful film. Perhaps we will add it to our queue. Thanks for the review.

here by way of michele today.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 3:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger were great film makers. Love 'The Red Shoes' & 'A Matter of Life & Death'.

Didn't they also do 'Black Narsisis'?

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 5:53:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, I will have to see it!! thanks for a wonderful review.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 7:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I never heard of it but it does sound great to me! I'll have to check it out. Thanks Naomi!

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've never seen it, but it sounds like a story I would love. And since I trust your judgment on films, I will surely watch.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 8:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I have seen this film more than once. It tends to be put on TV between Xmas and New Year here. My daughter got glued to it one year when she was quite little (7 or 8??) we watched some of it again this year... unfortunately we could not see it all. It is a sad powerful story

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 9:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Cyberkitten--Yes, imdeed, They did do "Black Narcisis"...Such GREAT Filmakers!

Rachel & Dena--it is definitely woryh seeing! Let me know, if you do see it.

Sandy--It is not a 'Oh we're so happy' type film...but it is a film that is like a painting...

Mar-- Hope you like it!

Fizzy--Yes..it is a sad but powerful story, as you said, and the ballet sequences are pretty extraordinary, aren't they?

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 10:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

OY the spelling!!!
"Black NARCISSUS" and I gelieve you are correct on the other one, too CB.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 10:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well I was a ballet dancer and now have a mini ballerina so you KNOW I know this movie and have seen it more then once.
Just another reason I think you are probably really my long lost aunt LOL.
My mother used to call me Isadora Duncan :)

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 1:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the suggestion! It sounds like a wonderful film, well worth the time it takes to sit still and watch a movie.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I've never heard of this film. I'm glad you're here to let me know about these lost gems. I'll have to see if my daughter has heard of it. It sounds wonderful.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 10:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 10:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 10:11:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow I never heard of this film. There are some "red shoes" in Hans Christian Anderson's "Snow Queen" which made quite an impression on me as a child and so the words "red shoes" just stirs up something.

Floyd's population is around 14,000 but it's a rural county and spread out. I can't see my closest neighbors house!

Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at 6:23:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The Red Shoes is in my top-five list of All Time Favorites, and one of the few movies that I own. Despite owning it, I still watch it whenever it's on TCM, too, most recently just a few weeks ago. It's just luminous.

Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at 9:42:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I saw The Red Shoes about 2 years ago and absolutely fell in love with the film! Thank you for reminding me about it as I had forgotten quite how much I'd enjoyed it!

Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at 11:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ah, I remember it well....

cyberkitten has reminded me I must get a copy of Black Narcissus too - and The Nun's Story.......

so many wonderful films, so many strong actresses...[sigh]

Goodbye Moira - I will always remember your flaming red hair :-)

cq

Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at 12:25:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

i have not seen these films. now i want to!
here from michele's again! i love this m&g!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 4:29:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Don't forget "The Story of Three Loves" which permanantly enshrined Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody On a Theme of Pagannini" in the consciousness of audiences everywhere. Moira Shearer trumped herself in that one. The plot addresses the same conflict as "Red Shoes", but without the distractions of marriage etc.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 4:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Do I love this glorious film? Is the Pope Catholic? Is a shamrock green? Is my daughter's first name Moira? The answer to all is yes!!!!

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 12:53:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'll write it on my list. I didn't know that Hans Christian Andersen wrote a lovely story like that. All I remembered was the Little Mermaid, Ugly Duckling and etc.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 1:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'll check it out then. If it's as good as you make it sound Naomi then it sounds like I'm in for a real treat!

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 1:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have never steered me wrong so I am off to Netfliz. Thanks for checking that they had it and thanks for the recommendation.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 5:38:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sounds like a good stay-at-home-date night movie. My wife will appreciate it if I bring this one home.

Of course, I'll take all the credit.

:)

Cheers.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 5:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm adding it to my Netflix queue. Thanks! I watched "The September Issue" last weekend upon your recommendation - fascinating and loved every minute of it.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 6:37:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

The film was unforgettable - everything about it. Moira and Margot were heroes of mine and it was great when Moira married the handsome Ludovic Kennedy - so romantic.
My agent once sent me for an interview with a producer and after we chatted for a while he said,
'Actually we think Moira Shearer is going to do it.' No contest:)

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 7:16:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I saw this listed, and thought it was another movie, that have seen several times, but will look for it again, and watch, sounds like it is worth the viewing.
Thanks for the review.
Hope this finds you doing well.
Pat from NY

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 10:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey Naomi! Sounds like a story I need to see... Thanks for the overview!

How are you? You are sure missed over at the MEET n' GREET!

Sounds like life is treating you great!

Hugs,
T.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 3:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A great review Naomi of a movie ahead of it's time that would not be made today.

NerChick sent me here.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 6:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

With a line like, "the red shoes will not be danced tonight," how could I not want to see this film? Of course, your review makes it a must-see! I have yet to be disappointed by one of your recommendations because I find that what "moves" you happens to move me as well.

Great post, my friend. You know I'll be looking for it on Netflix!

Have a wonderful weekend!! xo

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 6:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh wow - that is one of the 'Big Films' from my childhood (along with classics like Black Narcissus, High Society, Nun's Tale and so on) that we would sit as a family and watch.

Just caught up with your Ladies Wot Lunch and you all look so marvellous! Definitely a great time for you all, lots of good friends, lovely food, cakes, flowers, toys! :-)

Tanya sent me to see you this Saturday night, Nay, but I was coming over anyway! :-)

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 1:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It sounds like a great film Naomi. I especially love the title!!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 7:29:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.