Wednesday, May 31, 2006
another flower or two!

So on May 25th George had another flower that opened! I took this picture about 10am and the flower was open just about as wide as it ever opens...About an hour later (see the next photograph)....the flower was already starting to close up.... If you aren't on top of this...you miss the whole thing, so I've become a "George's Flower Stalker"! Yes...I realized that I am stalking George and I may need an intervention, or at the very least I may need to be restrained (lol). Though in all honesty I don't think George minds, at all. And besides that, if I don't watch all this very very carefully I will miss a lot of what is going on with these flowers and seeing as how the metamorphasis is such a long s-l-o-w process, and if and when a flower opens is such a very very small and short window of opportunity, I would not get these pictures if I didn't stalk dear George.

An update on another one of George's flowers that 'was'...Here is a picture of the progression towards the next step in the metamorphasis from 'flower' to 'fruit'. Look at those two little drops of necter...Mmmmm, yum yum...And see how this is getting more bulbous as the days progress...eventually this will pretty much be completely round like a ball....

And then, two days later (5/28), there was another open flower! Hooray! And once again, in a very difficult position to photograph, but...I got it! And then I got a slightly-to-the-side- view which had the bonus of having the bulbous flower just to it's right, showing a few necter drops just at the top of that pod...More yum yum.... Oh, how I wish just one flower would open on George where I would not have to become a contortionist to get a really good picture! (I know that passers-by, if they see me, must wonder 'what the hell is that woman doing?') If I'm lucky there might be one or two where I only have to get up on a small ladder, again!

Other flowers are bursting forth in my garden, too...these are such incredibly colorful flowers...I love watching this progression, too.... The above was a few days ago (5/27, I think)...all these buds looking like they are going to burst forth any moment....and they are doing just that... This was on 5/28, in the morning, and they are beginning to truly burst forth as you can see....and then, later that afternoon...5/28, this is what I saw, below. And then on 5/29...some of these gorgeous flowers have opened even more than the day before as you can see in this next picture below...the size of these flowers are somewhere between a nickel and a quarter...and they are perfection.... Now, that's a beautiful creation of nature....such a shocking pink and yet more delicate a color once they are wide open as they are, above.... And here they are, above, the afternoon of 5/30....All Open. All Beautiful. All Extrorinary. Nature just knocks me out.


In the early days of my Cactus & Succulant addiction, I met some really wonderful people who raised cactus and succulants and sold them to the public. I began this Cactus journey 20 years ago and most of those people that I met back then in those first 6 years or so are dead now.
One of the things I learned from all of them is that everything flowers. Everything. One has to be aware and really look or you might just miss the flowers. At first, you might not even recognize that they are flowers because often they do not look like flowers as we have known them---well, that is before becoming acquainted with these kinds of plants. The above is a Euphorbia...and the plant arms themselves are about as big around as a thick cigar...the arms can get two feet high before branching with new arms on the arms, all of which grow straight up....Beautiful little flowers, aren't they?

And another beautiful plant with exquisite little flowers is just below...I've posted this plant and it's flowers before, but I hadn't gotten as close as I got just the other day... The size of these flowers is no bigger than a small child's pinky nail....but the are perfectly formed even though they are sooooo very small...I am aware that I am repeating certain information and I do this for the new readers who might not be familiar with any of this...

And does anyone remember this little new baby which I posted some time in March, I think? Well, the picture was taken March 24th...and this dear little baby was not even an inch long at that time.... Well, now, exactly two months later, it has grown to look like this...! It is between three and four inches long in this photograph and growing pretty fast now...No, this is not a flower, but it is further evidence of this glorious hopeful time of year....flowers, flowers, flowers and new growth, new growth, new growth. It is everywhere in my garden....and I truly love it! (I guess you all know that by now, huh?)

More will be forthcoming, as always...



















36 Comments:
had this to say:

oooooo am I first??
I love the pictures, you are so clever. When you mention ladders (even small ones)I worry -be careful.
However you have shown me a whole new side to cacti -I love reading about thier "escapades"

Have a good day

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 3:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi. I just love your photos. I have one or two cacti as well, though being in the UK mine are indoors! They often flower though which is nice. BTW, Wendy snet me here adn I got to Wendy via CQ. Bye :-)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 4:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous cactus blossoms. I love their colors, so rich. (And I even see one with a Christmas light nearby!!!)

Great photos.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 4:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, totally breath taking photos. Congrats on being Wendy's Spotlight Blog. Check out my blog...rumors are being spread about you.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 4:28:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Oh, just wonderful!! following your example I am carefully observing my Opuntia with its bright orange flowers. But your shocking pink is absolutely gorgeous!! There are so many games going, on but this time I am here on my own :)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 6:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What an amazing series of photos, Naomi! They are all just stunning, wonderful! The #6 photo looks like a nest with eggs! I love so much to seeing the new growth and blooming of your cactus.
Have a good day and enjoy your beautiful garden!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Poor George. It must be hard to perform under such scrutiny. :-)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 7:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW! As far from my Nordic garden as you can come :-) You take very good photographs.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 8:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, how exciting! This post made me smile big time. Those flowers are so amazing. They looked like a nest with eggs and then they opened to those brilliant flowers.
Nature is so wonderful.

I got a small cacti. It had a beautiful bloom about to open and I took a picture. The next day it opened and I didn't take a picture thinking I would the next day. But the next day it was dead or closed up rather! Just that one day of a flower! I was so mad at myself for not getting the picture when it was open.

You be careful on the ladder please dear Naomi!

Another outstanding post!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've gotta say....this is fascinating! My 14-year-old son has opened my eyes to the wonders of nature, but we don't live in "cactus country," so this has been all new to me. Wonderful photos!

I'm here via Wendy, of course.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

God blesses us all if we just take the time to look...I love your pictures, keep posting them.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sure George loves the attention. Most cacti--and many people don't realize this--crave company and eat up admiration. That cacti must love you by now, Naomi.

Your best option regarding getting the pictures might be a small mirror on a stick, Naomi. You can photograph the flower in the mirror. Of course you'll probably have to manually focus if you explore this method.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As always, lovely photos!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 12:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

COoool Pics. PS--Wendy sent me.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the new photos, Naomi. I love the way you stay on top of it, so to speak, and get there at the peak of freshness (for the flowers, anyway). You are teaching us so much good info about cacti; I might even buy one for my windowsill now!!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 3:21:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Beautiful pictures and lovely flowers. The Euphorbia look like a delicate ballerina dancing round on a small stage, like the ones in little girls music boxes. OK, maybe it's a stretch for some, but can't you just imagine that little tutu?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 3:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As always, beautiful pictures!! I love the shocking pink blooms!! Gorgeous!


Now you be careful while you are climbing on ladders trying to get these photos....I don't want you to get hurt, ok?!

*hugs*

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 4:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful shots!

I love this time of year, everything is in bloom, and rejuvenated. It makes me hoepful

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I forgot to add that Wendy sent me today, and thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, I love those pictures. Makes you stop and realize how delicate yet beautiful something can be.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 5:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I tyhink that Golden Lucy sent the animal pics to quite a few people, and I decided to share them on the blog. I will do the dogs later this week.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 8:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi friend, Wendy directed me your way tonight....I am thinking your George is just a big showoff, what do you think? lol

*hugs*

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 8:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well - I have to say George is beautiful. Incredible shots you are sharing here. :)
Thanks for stoppinb by My Lighter Side.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 8:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These I may say are beautiful. You take good pictures. Thanks for dropping by my Wordless Wednesday.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 9:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Back again from Wendy's auditions. These pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 10:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW... I haven't been here in a bit, I love your new look. I'm working on a "blog makeover" myself.

As always, beautiful photos.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 11:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've been here this morning and commented on your beautiful flowers nevertheless I'm back again to say hello. Wendy directed me here.

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 5:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George's flowers have those white tendril thingies coming from the center. Very cool!
A few of those pics reminded me of that movie,
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers." The pods!!!
The pics are great!
It is neat how some of those flowers are so tiny that someone like me would not notice them... if it weren't for YOU!!

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 3:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are amazing pictures!!
As always, thank you for sharing them. :)

What I think would be hilarious is if one of your neighbors kept a blog of pictures of the plant photographer and the angles she (you) go to for your pictures. :)

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 7:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh those are just beautiful!!

I love flowers

My grandma always told me that flowers are a sign of "God's perfection" and it always stuck with me even though I am not religious.

They are a sign of the world being perfect though huh

:)

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 7:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What breathtaking photos again. Hope you don't mind, but I saved all your cactus photos in my folder. Can't help but envy you for the beautiful blooms.

Btw, thanks for the birthday greetings.(((Hugs)))

God Bless You Always!!!

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 8:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Here from Michele this time.
I planted wild flower mix and am so excited to see what kind of flowers actually come up. They do not have the sturdy stems that other "domesticated" flowers do but the colors are quite exciting.
Do these cacti flower mostly in the spring or are blooms popping up year round?

Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 9:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi from Michele's this morning, Naomi! That pink IS shocking...amazing that it comes from a desert plant! I was thinking the same thing as some of the others...that those flowers looked like a nest of eggs...too bad I've never seen a bird that color! Thanks for the visit!

Friday, June 2, 2006 at 1:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just dont have the time to enjoy nature like I used to. sigh.

here from micheles

Friday, June 2, 2006 at 5:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

it's amazing those ugly prickly things produce such vibrant artful blossoms.

here from michele's

Saturday, June 3, 2006 at 11:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Always love your cactus pictures, Naomi! Just beautiful.

Here by way of michele again!

Saturday, June 3, 2006 at 3:00:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.