Thursday, May 25, 2006
day after the birthday, "birthday lunch"

Today we had a little Birthday Lunch here at me home for Betty G. The lovely and wonderful Seemah Wilder prepared most of the food and brought it with her....I set the table with some of 'The Good China', and everything was perfect, even though we got a late start.

There were just 5 of us because the always sweet Lee Meriwether is out of town, working. And the lovely, Dianne Travis had to work today too...(she is a wonderful actress, btw...). So it was me, Seemah, Betty of course, Bridget Hanley,(another lovely actress) and a very dear woman named Jo Gorman, who is an old neighbor of Betty's and a friend as well...(And to me, too...). All of us have known each other a very long time....and everyone except Jo, are members of Theatre West! And we have all worked together many many times on many different projects, over many many years, so....there is a comfort level that is truly special.

Bridget, Betty and Jo Gorman....Seemah was in the kitchen putting this

beautiful
Chinese Chicken Salad together...(Yummmm!). As a starter, she had made some Bruschetta and she had a special cheese that was gorgeous...I had made a yummy veggie dip that people seemed to like very much and we had Croissants with The Chinese Chicken Salad. It was a huge salad and we all ate like piglets! Then of course there was the Birthday Cake! (Another yummmmm!) With Hagen Das Vanilla Bean Ice Cream on the side....(be still my heart....)...You can just
see a little bit of Seemah way over to the left of the picture. I wasn't able to get a really good photo of her in the kitchen. Too dark.


After dessert, Betty opened her gifts and then I showed them all my blog. And Betty was truly moved by all the Birthday wishes from all of you. I think what amazed her was that there you all were from all over the world, wishing her a very happy birthday. I had to read the comments to her because she has Macular Degeneration and really couldn't see them well enough to read them herself.


It was a lovely lovely afternoon and the last of these ladies, Betty & Seemah left about 6:30pm, having arrived at 1pm.
It was wonderful for me to be able to celebrate with these terrific women since I could not join Betty and her family last night at the birthday dinner at La Boheme...a fabulous restaurant here in West Hollywood.
The most important thing, Betty had a wonderful time and so did all of us. (Even Sweetie felt safe enough to come out of the closet to spend some time with Betty and Seemah and me...he knows them, you know?)...

I am tired, but very happy that Seemah came up with this idea and so generously offered to bring and make the lunch. So, Betty's 87th Birthday is here and now the celebrations are over and she can get back to work. Bridget, Betty, Lee, and Dianne are all doing a show called "Nunsense" at a theatre here in L.A., for two weeks starting on June 8th through June 18th. Eighty-Seven years old and still working! God Bless Her!




***NOTE: With my new Template, the links to things are very subtle. You pass your curser over things you think might have a link and you will see a shadow behind it and then you know it does have a link. And on a another note of interest, Betty's book is available in paperback at Amazon.com...the link was on the word 'book' on yesterdays birthday post. It is a wonderful book...and I think you will enjoy it.***

***UPDATE NOTE: Danny Miller has written a lovely tribute to Betty Garrett today and has written a lot about her career...go take a look if you have time...it is very informative...(remember, pass your curser over his name...the link will be there...)***6pm







35 Comments:
had this to say:

The food looks delicious, the company looks delightful. I am glad you all had such a lovely time yet again I come and read and my mouth dropped open. Holy catwoman you know Lee too !! ROTFL
You are the best cyber aunty a girl could wish for.
I am glad Sweetie came out of hiding for the fun as well.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 3:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, it's easy to see what a fun time you ladies had!! As we grow older Birthday's are not what they used to be, (personally, I curse them lol) but they will remain a darn good "excuse" to get together and party!!! I'm glad Betty and everyone had a good time!! Thank you for sharing the photo's!! Betty looks wonderful!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 4:25:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Oh, thank you so much for including this on your blog. Is there anything more special and warm than dear old friends? It sounded like an ideal afternoon. We all need to take more time out of our daily lives to spend time with those we love and those who have made the long journey through life with us, sharing all the ups and downs. You are so blessed.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 5:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like you all had a great time, I'm so pleased. Is there any cake left for me?

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely party of beautiful women - thanks for letting us attend in spirit - the food and company look fabulous.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

That salad looks delicious. What a wonderful and intimate party.
I've seen Nunsense elsewhere and it is an absolute hoot.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 8:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely birthday lunch, Naomi. Love all those photos! Sounds you all had a great and joyful time. The Birthday Cake looks yummy! It's so nice to have such a lovely friends!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 8:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh what a lovely party! Thank you for letting me "be there." Happy Birthday again Betty!

C

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 9:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely record of a great time. I wish that I had a piece of that cake right now. :-)

I really like your site redesign.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 9:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

isoIt sounds like you had a fabulous time! That cake looks so yummy I want to reach into my computer and eat it...lol! Thank you for sharing that with us :)

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 1:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

She looks GREAT!! Wow. Actually, so does the food too! LOL

Excellent job! Well done!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 2:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fine time you all had! And how nice that Sweetie came out to see the fun.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 7:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful day! The food looks great! I was sorry to hear Betty has macular degeneration. My husband has that also.

But she is doing well for her age though! I hope next year you can all have another wonderful get together to celebrate!

Great post again Naomi!!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 7:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That's so great!!! I'm so glad you got to spend time with your friends! AND that you shared pictures with us!

Isn't the blog world amazing? I just love the different perspectives I get on things from everyone. :)

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 9:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The play Nunsense is so funny. I've seen it and enjoyed it. I'm sure they are having a ball doing it!

What a nice afternoon. Food and friendship and smiles.

Betty's smile is so lovely. I'm glad she enjoyed our blogged best wishes to her.

That Chinese chicken salad looks so yummy!

I hope you are doing well and that that afternoon lifted your spirits. I know your health causes you problems, so I hope you are having some good days.

Birthdays are in the air! My baby girl turned 18 today!! Time goes by...

Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 9:58:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

It seems like a delightful time spent with good, dear friends! thanks for sharing the pictures, the food looks delicious, the ladies are pretty and elegant! My sister's 44th bday was yesterday and I dedicated my T13 to her. She was so impressed with wishes from all over the world, too! come on over to read about meeting a fellow UK blogger from Michele's blogroll, it was fun! Have a great day :)

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Just popped by from Michele's this morning, great party!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think intimate get togethers are the absolute best. How wonderful Betty looks at 87 years old & it's no wonder! I mean, she's still working & obviously doing so because she wants to, not has to.
You're so thoughtful, Naomi. I'm glad you girls had such a nice time.

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

bjThere is nothing better than celebrating a special day with friends! Your home is lovely, as well as your new template! The salad looks gorgeous and yummy too! Thanks for stopping by yesterday!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 6:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a wonderful day. There are so many years when you really don't care about birthdays and then you see something like this and everyone looks amazing. I think I want to go back and have my birthday all over again.

:)

Woman Stuff
http://www.blogcharm.com/womanstuff/

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 8:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

looks like fun to me --- :)

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 10:13:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Back again, from Michele this time.
Is that cake German Chocolate?

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 11:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks delicious! Makes me hungry. Hmmm, what to make for dinner?

Here via Michele's today.

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 12:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A great time with friends is something that should be appreciated just a little bit more.

Here via Michele's.

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 1:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

OK, Naomi, now I'm REALLY hungry! Everything looks so yummy and it sounds like you had a wonderful time with your friends. You are all so blessed to have each other.

Hope you have an equally great weekend! Michele sent me here today!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 1:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Belated Birthday, Betty!

Hi, You sent me!

Thanks for not skipping me, oldlady! I Think I just gained 10 pounds looking at that cake! It's all your fault!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 1:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thats a great photo at the top of the post. It looks as if you all had a great day. Its always good to have a sense of occasion and to make special events.

rashbre

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 2:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVE what maddie did for your web site! Did you ever see my completed one? It even has Buddy the dog in it...sigh..i love it..sniffle
Here via michele today

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 5:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what a wonderful afternoon! too bad Lee couldn't be there too.

michele sent me today!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

nice looking new format for your blog and sounds like you gave a wonderful birthday party! Here from Michele's today

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 5:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Here via Michele's weekend M&G - I had forgotten you are from my former neck of the woods - the mention of La Boheme made me homesick! The food looks out of this world, and I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. Here's to birthdays and many, many more special days to come!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 6:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, it looks as though all of you had a delightful time. I am so happy to know that you read the comments on your blog to Betty, since mine was included. She truly is a beautiful woman and I am amazed that she is still working!

Friday, May 26, 2006 at 8:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Did you save us some of that delicious looking cake??

I'm so glad you all had a good time and Betty enjoyed her birthday patry!

You are a good friend and a sweet person, Naomi.

cq

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 2:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The food looks fantastic. can i have some of that salad? And cake? please?

It sounds like a lovely day. You are a good friend, and blog are a great invention;-)

back from micheles

Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 12:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, what a wonderful birthday celebration, and I just love the idea of people from all over the world having posted birthday wishes and you reading them out - what a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do.

And then I looked at the photos again - and it clicked! Betty Garret!! The fabulous actress from My Sister Eileen and On The Town! How I loved her in those movies!! And how absolutely heartwarming to hear that she is still working at 87!!

Thank you for sharing!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 8:31:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.