Sunday, September 17, 2006
a hopper

Look who came to visit me this afternoon....Isn't he cute? I went outside for a minute and stopped to smell the beautiful flowers on this Pachypodum, and there he was....He is only about an inch and a half long...amazingly little...

I moved around to his front so I could try to get a picture of his eyes....I wish I had a macro lens because if I did have one I could have gotten in much closer...but, considering, I think this is pretty good.... This time of year there seems to be a lot of little creatures that are coming to visit....I see so very many spider webs...especially ones that have been built between plants....I don't have any really good pictures of these webs....but, here is what I got the other day... Not very good, I know....I'll keep trying to get some better ones...

So, back to my little 'hopper' guy...I went into the house for a little while and when I came out to visit him again, he had turned around and I took some other pictures of him from this angle... You can see that there was more light on him after he turned around...I love the eyes, of course, but also the design on his body, too....And how delicate his itty bitty legs are and those antenna-like things coming out of his head...gee, they are long, aren't they?

And just so you get some idea of how small he is, here is the head of the beautiful plant he decided to get on...You may remember it....I posted the flowers and also the trunk about a week or so ago, and all those lethal spikes that are on the trunk... That little teeny tiny hopper is there, but it is very hard to see him cause he is so small in this picture...you can't see the trunk in this picture but in case you've forgotten, here is another picture and a close up, at that...so, take a look at it! And here is the whole plant---trunk, head and flowers, as it stands near my front door....This is one of the Pachpodums from Madagascar that are in my garden...I have about 6 or 7 of them....But this is the only one in the Front Garden..... So this was my wonderment for today....A little "hopper" visitor that allowed me to photograph him...which I think was very generous and kind of him, so thank you dear little "hopper"...and please do come and visit again, soon....




More To Come.....







23 Comments:
had this to say:

Lovely pictures of the hopper. I have taken the liberty to zoom on the 'face' and its here in my flickr account (theres a couple of attempts)

Best!

rashbre

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 1:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the grasshopper pics. They're so close, it almost looks like the little guy has facial expressions.

Mike

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 2:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful little surprise Mother Nature sent your way!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 3:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You were lucky to be able to take its picture. Maybe he really wanted you to post him on your blog. I remember when I was kid, I use to catch hoppers. I played with them and when I was done playing I would let them go. They're so little but they can eat a lot of leaves. Their appetite are enormous.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 6:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope your hopper decides to take up residence in your garden, Naomi. He is a good photo subject!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 7:09:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

great pictures, naomi! and how fortunate to have captured your little "visitor" on film. ;)

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 7:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely hopper, Naomi! Beautiful photos as always.
In Portuguese we call this tiny creature "gafanhoto". There is also a similar species we call them “esperança”, translated to English, “hope”. Isn’t curious?

This site show up the “Mata Atlântica” or Rain Forests, and worth to take a look on: http://fcbs.org/articles/Mata_Atlantica.htm
You can see many images of the richest and most endangered habitats on earth: the forests of eastern coastal Brazil.

Have a nice Sunday!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 7:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fate works in neat and wonderful ways. You were absolutely meant to be there at that moment, and you were absolutely meant to have a camera in your hand so that you could share it with all of us.

You really ought to give lessons in macro photography. Your work is unbelievably powerful.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 10:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely pics Naomi. My son loves them. He is at that age where he is fascinated by all types of bugs.

Thanks for checking in on me and not forgetting about me. Means a lot.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 11:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you should have put the hopper in the spider web. that woulda made more some real fun. heh heh

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Your little hopper is adorable, maybe a kadydid but I can see why he loves that plant. The flowers are exquisite!!! However, I surely wouldn't want to accidently run into those thorns in the dark.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 12:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great pictures! My favorite was the last one. The white flowers are just beautiful...
I am so glad you did not eat the hopper...
Thanks for sharing..
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Cool Raggedy one

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 12:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That little hopper is a katydid and they come out here at night here and come to the outside light. Then Chunky Monkey (cat) chases and tortures them unless I see her and catch them and move them away to safety! I wish she wouldn't bother the katydids, but then did you ever know a cat to take any advice you gave them? LOL

Nice pictures and post as usual Naomi!!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 3:38:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love his little face. Great pics! You didn't need the macro lens to capture his looks.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 6:24:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I have spider webs everywhere! I recently figured out why people use the spider web to denote Halloween...because there are so many in the fall!

This little guy reminds me of Jimminy Crickett!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 8:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello. Your photos of your hopper are wonderful. I love that you captured so much detail despite not having a macro lens. He is so delicate adn such a beautiful colour too.

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 1:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi. Cute photos!!
Hope you had a great weekend.

Michele sent me

xox

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 3:01:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

your green visitor is darling and I love your pics! I think I could use a better camera than my current one...but don't know what to look for. May the little guy show up again for more fun pics! oh, and I just posted some of mine :)

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 10:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't think I've seen one in person since I moved here. Great that he/she let you photograph. Really nice photos.
~S

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 3:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He's so cute! Your shots of him so clear! I love it! Your garden is so awesome and full of life! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 4:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We have many of the grasshoppers here and they're not thought of as cute! They can really tare up stuff.
(I like the photo, though) :)

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 8:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful flowers and isn't the grasshoppers neat to watch?. :-). Some creatures I can do without though:-). Spider UGH!! But they can spin some of the coolest webs.

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 9:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So much fun to see the pictures. It's kind of like seeing the world through someone elses eyes. I love spiderwebs, especially when they have dew on them from the night. They always look so magical.

I don't like them when I can't see them and they end up all over my face. *shudder*

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 9:53:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.