Friday, October 27, 2006
elizabeth taylor


I just love Elizabeth Taylor. Always have, always will. She is an amazing woman in so very many ways. She is an inspiration to any and all of us who are "of a certain age"....and for me it's mostly because she has suffered in so many ways, yet, perseveres...and always has.

I remember when Mike Todd, her then husband who she seemed truly crazy about, was killed in a plane crash. I cried for her. No, I don't know her...(but I sure wish I did)....
Elizabeth Taylor has been in my life almost as long as I have been alive. She was a stunning child, and a stunning child actress...starting at 5 or 6 years old...a beautiful child who grew into an even more beautiful woman. And when Mike Todd died...it just seemed so truly tragic that when this 'icon' even then, had finally been swept away by the love of her life...she should lose him. She herself was almost on that plane that crashed. If that had been the case...what I'm writing now would have absolutely no meaning whatsoever! If that had happened, most of you wouldn't even know who I was writing about...in fact, you may not know now...since Taylor's Movie Star status was a long time ago....but just to give you a context: She was bigger than anyone you can name today, and I mean anyone! Trust me on this!


But, Elizabeth Taylor was not on that plane because she was sick and didn't think she should go...Was this fate? I don't know. I just know she didn't die in that plane crash as everyone who was on that plane did....
Elizebeth Taylor went on to make God knows how many movies...marry, all together as of this writing, 8 times....She went on to win two Academy Awards....And then later went on to bring AIDS to the forefront as no other person had been able to do up to that time. And it was because somebody she dearly loved died of this dreaded disease. What she did when her dear friend Rock Hudson died was incredibly wonderful and completely selflessly brave. She used her "celebrity" to put a real face to a disease that up to that time had been treated as if it was the piriah of our age because it was then associated with mostly gay men. (And unfortunately it still is by many people when that is not the case at all, at this point in time....). God Bless Elizabeth Taylor. She is a survivor and just recently even, appeared at an AMFAR Benefit and I understand from people who were there that she was in a wheelchair but rose up out of it by herself, not accepting the help that was offered to her, and spoke once again with great passion saying...'it's still out there and it is not over by any means so must keep fighting....', inspsiring all who were there at that event with her continued dedication to this cause in spite of her own health problems.

To be so incredibly beautiful and talented and smart and funny and real, in a town that thrives on a lot of 'unreal' and on cutting people down when this 'business of show' feels they have gotten too big for their britches...and to know so clearly who she was and is in spite of the tabloids, the leeches, and the hangers on who will shoot you down at every turn just to make themselves feel better----this, is a great broad. (I can say that being a broad, myself. )
To raise four...count them...4 children, all of whom are decent productive caring sensitive human beings....in the eye of all the tabloid malarky.....this is a terrific woman!And, Miss Taylor has always been 'true to herself'...and I quote for the umpteenth time..."This above all to thine own self be true, And it nust follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man..." William Shakespeare, from "Hamlet"...Polonius to his son Leartes....Elizabeth Taylor personifies this being "true to yourself", God Bless Her.To be as big a movie star as she has been for...what.....almost 70 years? And to survive in 'the eye of the celebrity storm'....well my God, I wish I did know her. I just posted my 214th post...(well, somethimg like that...) And being only eight months older than her and living with the health problems I live with....I read about her and the incredible things she has survived physically and she still continues to press on and show up for the important things in this life....Well, this inspires me.


That story I reported in my Andy Warhol post, says so very much about Elizabeth Taylor and the truth of her life, and the misconceptions that abound! It took one of her dear sons who loves her and has a close relationship with her, to set the record straight on her feelings about Andy Warhol and the series of paintings he did of her. I'm sure it made a good story to certain people to believe she had no interest in those paintings, but to me, the better story is that she has one of the paintings hanging in her bedroom.


Often great great beauty is given a 'free pass'. Well, Elizabeth Taylor never got a free pass. (Oh I can hear the naysayers and the cynical among you doubting this....). Well, you are wrong, truly. She never ever really got a free pass. She was vilified and practically strung up and hung by the press, "back in the day", (except for the time she almost died of pneumonia and then she was given the Academy Award for "Butterfield 8" when she should have gotten it for "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof", but didn't...)....And guess what...(Paraphrasing Stephen Sondheim) She's still here! Yeah! (I smile...) She is still here!!!
And I say...LONG MAY SHE WAVE!

I LOVE YOU, ELIZABETH....I always have and I always will.




More To Come.....













39 Comments:
Blogger srp
had this to say:

Elizabeth Taylor has the most unique and gorgeous violet eyes. I don't think anyone else has ever had these. National Velvet is a favorite of mine.

Naomi, how far are you from this horrible wildfire? They said last night it was headed west and LA and hills and Santa Annas and I wondered if your location was safe.

I hope they catch the criminal who started this horrible fire!

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 5:18:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

What a beautiful tribute. She's one of those rare people who has always been beautiful on the outside, and has demonstrated to the world, she's just as beautiful on the inside with her work for AIDS research.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 6:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She is such a beautiful lady...so tragic, in her own way.
I enjoyed all the pictures you posted of her, I hadn't seen many of them. :)

Kendra

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 7:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She is a beautiful woman, and a great actress. I wish you had known her too Naomi! Such a shame your paths didn't cross. I had wondered how her health was these days as I haven't heard anything about her in a long time. I had posted back in August about a B&B only a few miles from here where they shot part of "Raintree Inn" that she starred in.

Wonderful post as usual Naomi!!

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 7:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I admire her too and always have. The biggest memory to me was when she chose to be with her soul mate, Richard Burton, and accepted being pilloried in the press and by the public rather than turn away from what she felt was true to herself. She has indeed been a woman who lived by her own rules and she has been very loyal to her family and friends.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 9:01:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Ahhh, Liz. What a beautiful woman. Not only because of her looks!

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 9:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful post, Naomi! I agree with you, Elizabeth Taylor is marvelous! I love so much the film "Butterfield 8", with Laurence Harvey and Eddie Fisher!
Isn't a great movie?

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 1:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely write up. You always tell these stories so well. I always love the way you tell us so much about the person but also make it personal to you as well. Absolutely wonderful.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 2:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a nice tribute :)

She certainly has led an exciting life.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 2:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that last photo of her especially.

I would be surprised if anyone thought her life was "easy." Anyone rational, anyway.

With all she's done to raise awareness for aids, she should be the role model to which others aspire.

~S

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 2:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, she has been my favorite actress for 60+ years. There has never been anyone with a more beautiful face, in my estimation. And I think her compassion must equal her beauty.

Of all the actors and actresses who have ever been in movies, I would like to know her the most.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 4:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

beautiful tribute to a very deserving lady/ actress!
Wasn't she just the most gorgeous actress?!! I too always have admired and really loved her acting abilities... she's had more sadness and health issues in her life then one person deserves.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 4:28:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wonderful post :) Those eyes have always been amazing for sure!

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 4:50:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think she's great. Truly a one of a kind...and they say she has a perfect face...one that lines up with no hint of distortion.

She was once married to our Republican Senator...Warner! I think it was before I lived here. I also thought THAT must have been an interesting mix.

I did think she was loopy at last year's academy awards...was it last year? Pain medication maybe? I also loved the way she stood up for Hudson and helped bring the AIDS epdemic to the forfront when it was shrouded still.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 5:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful tribute - I don't know enough about her to make a judgment, but I certainly remember her movies, particularly "Cleopatra" - she was wonderful in that one.
Michele sent me

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 10:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh yes, my Lil Sis and I agree that Liz is the prettiest one there ever was.

Friday, October 27, 2006 at 10:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great tribute to a great actress and Lady!!!

Here from Michele.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 1:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

beautiful template.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 2:07:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

She has persevered through so many heart breaks and health problems. She has and will always be on of the most beautiful women in the world ever.
I have always admired her too for sticking to her beliefs and not wavering....and so helpful to her friends when they are down and out.

Great tribute...and I want to steal your little "feeling witching" sign...that is darling.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 6:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She really IS an amazing icon -- and no - I don't believe she was EVER given a free ride! As a matter of fact, at the time that I was growing up, it always seemed like she was NEVER given her DUE! She was always being chastized for her many marriages instead of honored for her talent and her heart! This is a beautiful tribute to a truly beautiful lady! (with the most GORGEOUS violet eyes that ever were!) Great job (again) Naomi!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 8:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for your tribute; I've never been a fan of ET, but it's nice to read someone else's perspective of this Hollywood legend.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

She was amazingly beautiful! I wish you had known her too, because we'd get some great stories!

I've often thought that people like her, Liza Minelli, Michael Jackson, etc. hang out together because they all had no childhood. It makes them sort of frozen in time... having never been able to grow up in a healthy way.

Just an observation...

Glad you liked the Halloween pics! I'm not giving away this year's costume. I'll post pictures on Wednesday!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 11:00:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Very sweet. I wish she could see this. ; )
Did you hear that she is rumored to be getting ready to marry #9 and he's supposedly 17 years younger than her? I'd say, you go girl! But she's saying it's not true.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 1:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I totally agree with you. She was a movie star to end all movie stars. Beautiful and bigger than life. I hate when I hear people make comments about her appearance now because we're all getting older and none of us are as stunning as we used to be. She does seem like a gentle soul. And I've always wondered whether she truly did have violet eyes.

Michele sent me back here Naomi. Hope you're having a great day!

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 1:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

here from Michele's.

I remember my mother joking with my dad about Elizabeth Taylor--I was probably in the first or second grade--in the mid-60s.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Few people write with as much passion as you do, Naomi.

When I was a child, I remember how reverently my parents spoke of Ms. Taylor. I didn't really understand what made her different at first, but as I became more media savvy over the years, I was amazed at how she interacted with the camera, how she commanded an interview, how her words didn't just float on air like so many celebs. Her words hit home, and continue to do so.

I fear there will never be another like her. Thankfully, we have you to help us understand why she matters so much.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 5:18:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a wonderful tribute to such an amazing and talented actress.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

nice to drop by this evening! hello

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 7:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love her, she's truly a star, gorgeous and talented from the time she was a little girl.
(And didn't need plastic surgery like ALL the stars today ALL have had something done, I swear.)
She has such a beautiful speaking voice, too.
I was just watching "A Place in the Sun" last week. I think my favorite, though, was "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe". She made herself QUITE UN-glamorous for that part, didn't she?
Well, it won her an Oscar.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 7:32:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Here from Michele this time.

Do you ever wonder how her life would have been different if Michael Todd had not been killed in that crash? We all learn to live with what life gives us.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 8:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for the visit. I have not heard of Manzu or his Doors, but I wish I had. If I see that book, I'll read it. I am happy to know that you are enjoying my photos; I always love yours too, and I also love your mini-bios, such as this one on Elizabeth.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 9:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That's a wonderful introduction to her. What a cute little kid she was too. :)

Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 10:03:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That's a wonderful introduction to her. What a cute little kid she was too. :)

I got an error. this may be a double comment.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 10:04:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love Elizabeth Taylor, too. Everything about her says Star. I saw her once when she was in a parade with her then husband, John Warner.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 11:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely tribute from a beautiful woman about a beautiful woman.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 12:43:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

back in the days parents used to brag "my beautiful daughter looks just like Elizabeth Tay-lah" But, of course they didn't. However, you, Naomi, really did resemble her. I'd cast you as her sister in a minute. Even now, the two of you would be great in a print ad or spot for a "cause".

Monday, October 30, 2006 at 1:46:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Like you, I have always, always, admired Elizabeth Taylor. In my opinion, she was the epitome of the word beautiful. But in addition to her extraordinary beauty, she was/is a good person. Thanks for the memories about her, Naomi. I enjoyed it a lot.

Monday, October 30, 2006 at 7:17:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

i love elizabeth taylor, too, even if she was a star way before my time. i love watching her old movies. you could see "star quality" stamped on her even as a child wonder in national velvet. what is so great about this woman is her compassion and generosity. to be so giving and still full of life despite the many setbacks dealt her by the hand of fate is truly amazing.

did i ever tell you you look a bit like her? ;)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 9:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Great post! She truly is beautiful.
Her performances over the years have been wonderful. She has been through a great deal in life and is a survivor for sure!!
I wish you knew her personally too. I think the two of you would get along well. Maybe she would let you borrow some of her gorgeous jewelry. :-)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 10:04:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.