Monday, February 26, 2007
oscar pre show & show

One of the helicopters circling the wagons today had this flowing behind it for all to see.....A message that I happen to agree with....Not a political statement, but a human statement.

Here is the Blimp for this year.....last year it was very colorful and kind of decorated in abstract images.....This year, as you can see below, it's "business" as usual, lest we forget who sponsers these beautiful blimps....And by the way, it's not just for show....There are camera's on the blimp for those overhead pictures of the festivities at The Kodak Theatre and the surrounding area....Can you see those cables hanging down....? Must be for the needed broadcast signal.... You do see them, don't you? They are hanging down from the front...and it looks like they are attached right there at that little nipple. I'm pretty sure they have something to do with those signals......but I would love to know, for sure..... I mean, it is 'up there' high in the sky, as you can see....And you can also see how bizarro the weather was here today....I really thought it might rain, but it didn't, well, not here in Hollywood anyway, but it certainly looked quite threatening though the sun kept trying to come on out....And, it was 'cold' again....And I use the term in a relative way. Cold for here. (lol)

As we got closer to the gathering of 'the Stars', this is what La Brea Avenue looked like with all the arriving limo's This is actually a close-up of some of the traffic....I thought it was interesting that you can see the sun trying to come out, here and there....You see that one little patch towards the top of the picture right in the center?

Okay. Enough of this pre-pre pre show....

On to the meat of the afternoon, almost evening....!The meat being "The Oscar Show" itself. I loved it. I felt it had a warm and loving 'family' feeling about it and that it was very classy, too.
I thought that Ellen DeGeneres was terrific! She set the tone for that warm 'family' feeling that continued throughtout the show for me, and I laughed out loud a lot, which is unusual for me with a show like this....Also, I am easily moved by the Oscars....I get very emotional, you know? And there were any number of times I was moved to tears....

In fact it began for me right at the top of the show....I loved that little film of all the nominees---it was funny and endearing and was a great way to begin the show and then having all the nominees stand up there in the theatre as the audience applauded....Oh, I found that very moving....

There were many moments for me, not the least of which was Alan Arkin winning the Best Supporting Actor Award....
Well deserved on every level. Yes, that performance in "Little Miss Sunshine" was fabulous, but here is an actor that has never given a bad performance and the last time he was nominated was over 40 years ago....He did not win then. But he won tonight and his speech was truly moving to me, too. Times like that, that moment of his speech, it makes me feel so proud to be a small part of a profession where people care so very much about what they do and how they do it, and who bring so much intelligence and heart to their work....Mr. Arkin is a perfect example of the marriage of talent and a caring heart mixed with a fierce intelligence. I was thrilled that he won tonight.

Moving on....I very much enjoyed the number with Jack Black, Will Farrell and John C. Reilly....It made a point that is true---Comedy performances rarely if ever win Oscars----and the point was made with humor...(laugh out loud humor....!) Plus, I loved the idea of including the different nominees for us visually, as well as lyrically, like Peter O'Toole and Mark Walhberg, and of course particularly Helen Mirren, who the three guys were pointing at here..... And she loved it, too, as did her very talented husband Taylor Hackford...two such incredibly talented people....Isn't this just Helen Mirren's year....three wins.....I think it is fabulous....(More about that later....)

And were these two little people cute or what? (I loved that the orchestra played "Short People" to play them on....)For those of you who do not watch any television or/or do not go see movies, these darlings are, Abigale Breslin from "Little Miss Sunshine"...(She is Little Miss Sunshine in the film of the same name and was nominated for Best Supporting Actress....), and he is the son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith---Jaden Christopher Smith, who is in "The Pursuit Of Happyness" with his father....They were, in a word, adorable tonight! Well okay, two words...Absolutely Adorable!

Another favorite section for me was the short film put together by Nancy Meyers, ("Something's Gotta Give"...Writer/Director) showing the process through film, that writer's go through more often than not....It was very clever and funny.....I loved all the clips.... Starting with the typewriter itself----which is what people use to write on before the computer, for those of you too young to remember---well, if they didn't write by hand, of course.... And Nicholas Cage as the alcoholic writer in "Leaving Las Vegas"..(Among many semi-and not so semi-alcoholic writers as played by a host of wonderful actors in the clips she used...).And I loved that one of the very last images was the last page of her screenplay for "Something's Gotta Give", (a movie I absolutely loved....) and I also loved that Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton who starred in this delightful film were the two presenters tonight for The Best Picture Award....and again for those that live a sheltered life, "The Departed" won this last award of the night...and it was a great great moment. I was thrilled to catch this special gesture from Speilberg to Scorsese when they announced that "The Departed" had won...This fabulous news followed probably the most exciting moments of the night when Scorsese finally won his Best Director Oscar! Hooray, Hooray.....




(I am very very tired and though there is much more to my Oscar Post....I will have to continue part two, next time....forgive me, but it is going on 3:40am, here....also if there are spelling errors, etc...do forgive me that, too....Thanks In Advance.....)


More To Come......













30 Comments:
had this to say:

I watched every minute of it, Naomi. I am interested to see what else you will say - I didn't think it was the best show ever.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 5:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I couldn't stay up and watch it after all - far too late for this blogger....

But wasn't Jaden just the sweetest, most polite little man in his Junior Hollywood Star tux? Will and Jada must be ever so proud :-)

And I loved the way they were introduced as 'Hollywood's First Family'......

cq

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 5:32:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I thought the Will Ferrell, Jack Black skit was just a hoot. I loved it. I was thrilled Scorsese finally won his Oscar and the Departed really was an excellent movie so I agree with that choice too. I thought the little girl from Sunshine was so sweet in her pretty little dress. One of the cutest things there. And Helen, that lady is so classy and Hot!

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 6:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Believe it or not I watched most of the Oscar's. I kept switching back and forth between it and a movie on Lifetime that caught my interest. Most of those people (Oscar's) I did not know. I was looking at the ones this morning that they think are best dressed and the worst dressed. I can't agree with them on those. Who decides that?? For example they have Will Smith's wife on the worst dressed list and I see nothing wrong with her dress.

I was curious about that line hanging off the Goodyear blimp as well!!

I'll be looking forward to your second part!!

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 7:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I wouldn't miss the Oscars! I enjoy watching all of the award shows.
I was really glad that Scorsese finally got an oscar..

The "comedy doesn't win awards" is so true! That and Sci-Fi Fantasy. They get the sets and makeup awards but they never put the actors into an award type catagory.. it's a shame. There's acting worth merit in all catagories.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 8:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've been looking forward to your posts on the Oscars! I knew you'd be able to add an extra depth to what I already enjoyed so much!

I agree with you completely, they really pulled it off, this year~ from the clothes to the presentation and setup, it was warm, entertaining, a class act.
Loved it.~

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 9:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well my dear your post was wonderful! I am almost tempted to watch the tele again.
I do watch the movies that you mention in your posts. When a blogger mentions the name of a good flick my hubby finds them and downloads them and we watch them on the computer. We have to have a movie title to do a search. We have absolutely no knowledge of what movies are playing, have played or what is good. We watched Departed, The Guardian, and The Pursuit Of Happyness. We really liked them!
I can't describe how great it feels to be here reading. I feel energized and excited when I read your posts. Your energy comes through your posts and hits me every time.
Great pictures!
I have seen a few vid clips with Ellen and Gladys on the phone. I think Ellen is darling.
I know I have said this before.
Thank you for sharing your world with me. I appreciate your blogging.
Have a fabulous day!
Hugs and Love,
Raggedy

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 11:08:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I got to see "The Queen" and "Little Miss Sunshine" on the plane on my way back from Chile early this month, when I was upgraded to business class, will never forget those movies!!!
I have only watched a short Oscar report, it was too late last night (some 8-hr difference was on my way!). Waiting for your Part II!

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 12:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed the Oscars, did wish that Peter O'Toole had gotten it for best actor even though a good actor, Forrest Whitaker, was chosen. It just might be O'Toole's last chance and the younger actor will have more opportunities-- although you never really know. I was very happy about Helen Mirren. She brings a lot to any performance and is such an example of grace and beauty. and her dress was beautiful, a great example of sexy and mature-- something some older actresses never seem to pull off-- although all three of those older female nominees do it well.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 1:03:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I flipped back and forth. I was glad that Arkin won, but I have to agree with Barbara Walters this morning that in a sense, Eddie Murphy was robbed. I don't think a half an hour of the F word earns an OSCAR. I agree he should have earned one years ago, but it seemed like favoritism. Just my opinion.

What the heck were you doing up at 3:40?? Holy cow!

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 1:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The lifetime presentation to Scorsese was great, Naomi. Especially since it was presented by 3 directors of comparable caliber. Not an easy threesome to come up with--and the joking with Lucas at his not having an Academy Award was cute too. I guess SF films don't get any more respect than comedies do.

On a different subject, tonight's going to be the first week of Sudio 60 being canceled. I think it's just terrible. I really liked the writing on that show--so much talent from The West Wing had come over to Studio 60 that I was hoping it'd have a similar run.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 1:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Who brought a tear to my eye was Forrest Whittaker. The man has such a way with words they are like poetry coming from him :-). I was happy for Forrest:-).One of the cute parts to me was the 3 directors up there presenting. (Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Speilberg and George Lucas) *giggles*. I just love Ellen Degeneres. She just has one of those wonderful, loving, funny, personalitites.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 1:37:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

A friend of ours works in a spa in Hollywood, and she said the limos were lined so far down La Brea, no one was bothering to try to get by them.

Must be amazing to think you can look out your window, and all that is going on just "right down there." :)

We thoroughly enjoyed Ellen (in fact, we wanted more).

~S

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 1:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I didn't see but the last two hours of the show but I thought Ellen did a great job. Thanks for your take on the show.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 3:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

hi there! nice post on the Oscars...I have two short posts you might find amusing...stop by and say hi sometime

www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 3:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I didn't watch any of the show ... thanks for giving me the highlights :)

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 5:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You said nipple. (ha, ha, hee, hee, snort!)

My family filled out our predictions for the Oscars, and I got the most right! My hubby was out of town, and still is, but he gave us his predictions by phone.
My daughter and I watched the whole thing, but my son pooped out after a short while.
I thought Ellen did a terrific job. She is a very funny lady!
I was glad that Alan Arkin won, and also Scorsese.
The little kids were darlings. So cute!
I did not enjoy the entire show. It was too long, and it was dull at times for me. I'm just not as into it as you are, my dear Naomi. :)
One of my favorite parts was Celine Dion's singing. She is terrific.
My daughter is studying the arts, including film which is her VERY special interest. She likes to keep tabs on what's going on in the biz. :)
I haven't seen The Departed, but I will when it comes to Pay Per View.
Wasn't Jack Nicholson's bald head a HOOT?!!
He's such a character!!

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 5:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Amazingly I actually DID see Little Miss Sunshine -- my Amanda made me watch it one night because when SHE was 3 I had gotten conned into entering her in a children's beauty pageant. (having NO IDEA what I was getting into -- I thought just some little thing for FUN!) OY! First one -- LAST ONE!!! NEVER again! She's heard stories all her life about what a nightmare that experience was - because, of course, she doesn't remember ANY of it -- or maybe just a few parts that WERE actually fun! But really she only remembers what she has seen in the pictures I took. Which WASN'T many - because I was SO.FED.UP. by the time the pageant actually happened! LOL! But I ramble! ... Of course that little girl in the movie was just a DOLL and played the part so adorably! And I love Will Smith -- though I have not seen the movie with his son... But the boy is surely as cute as his father!

You know what I love Naomi? I love that EVEN THOUGH I don't do tv, and I haven't seen these movies, you STILL make it interesting for me to come here and READ about it!

And I wonder on that Blimp - if that cable on the front isn't maybe just there to help guide it down when it get's close to landing? I don't know how those things are steared or flown -- but I've gotta think they would be filled with technology that would not require a cable hanging from the nose... No??? LOL!

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 6:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I watched the whole thing, and most of the preshow stuff on E all day as well.
I was home alone but really wishing I could watch it with someone who I could at least comment with LoL
Thanks for the blimp pic btw.
As soon as Coppola, Spielberg and Lucas came out I knew Marty was finally getting his gold LOL

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 7:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I really enjoyed the show, too. Ellen was really funny, I particularly loved when she asked Spielberg to take her picture with Clint Eastwood for her Myspace account. And then she had him do it again for "even spacing on either side". LOL -- so funny.

It was just really good. :)

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 8:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

do you by any chance have shots of those acrobats? i only caught the gun and the shoe, and they were brilliant... i missed all the others. i don't know how i stumbled upon your site, but its great.

Monday, February 26, 2007 at 9:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like it really is an emotional rollercoaster of a ride for you. No wonder you were tired when you wnet to bed!

Some well deserved Oscars there and it sounds like it was a great show though it was on too late for me. I aprticularly like the back stage microphone so that people can do their extended thank yous there and keep their speeches short..though as ever apparently one person couldn't take the hint from the orchestra LOL!

A great commentary on the event adn I am looking forward to more...

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 6:55:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I wasn't feeling well and didn't watch any of the Awards. However, I "feel" like I did. I certainly have caught all the highlights on Today, Extra, etc.
I'm wondering what you thought of Alan Arkin saying he didn't want the little girl in Little Miss Sunshine to win...he thought it was all too much for a 10 year old.
Maybe you can comment on that in another blog entry.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 8:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

my hubby and i watched a movie that night, but i did tune in during a commercial and saw the jack black/will ferrell number...hilarious! and i was actually impressed that they had pretty good singing voices. i tend to not watch most award shows b/c they seem to be political and somewhat over-the-top. the oscar's tend to be more classy, though.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 8:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I laughed at your Art's Chicken Soup suggestion. Studio City's not far at all; we go there all the time.
But you know who has the best Mazzo Ball Soup we've had in LA? We've tried Art's, Jerry's and Canter's. None of them beat the MB soup in that small deli in Beverly Hills, Nate & Al's. :) I love MB soup, so I'm pretty picky! lol

~S

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 9:35:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I must say it was one of the better ones. I still think a lot of the extra stuff they put in could be cut out. The acrobat dancers and their shadow puppet things just took up time.

I most look forward to the remembrance film and am always surprised to hear of the passing of a favorite that for some reason I didn't hear about. Some entertained for so long and left such a great film legacy and others who left too soon.

Ellen did OK.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 12:29:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Ellen did such a great job. She seemed very at ease & more comfortable than anybody else I've seen lately.
Overall, it was one of the best Oscar's I've seen in years.
I thought of you when they were showing the movie stars that have passed away this year. I wondered what it must be like for you, as you undoubtedly knew a few of them.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 1:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I enjoyed the whole show and thought Ellen did a terrific job. Like you I can get pretty emotional at things my partner would screw his nose up at. I really thought the beginning was wonderful with the nominees all standing up.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 11:07:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Did you go, Naomi??! I'm so late in getting here. I thought that was Nicolas Cage from "Adaptation" where he played a writer. Was he a writer in Leaving Las Vegas? All I remember him doing in that movie was drinking. I kept waiting them for them to show a laptop and that bit did make me miss the typewriter.

Friday, March 2, 2007 at 5:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I loved reading all of your Oscar posts but I, too, am wondering if you went?? I can't tell if you took those pics of your TV screen or if you were there with a camera phone!

Friday, March 9, 2007 at 6:28:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.