Wednesday, August 20, 2008
a visit with jamie & jason

The wonderful Jamie Dawn, who lives in Arkansas, was here in L.A. to visit her brother Jason, and before they drove up to Northern California to visit their dear parents, I was lucky enough to see them both, twice! They were scheduled to come to my house for a bit of Lunch on the Thursday of that week, but I noticed that those magical Night Blooming Cereus Flowers that only bloom for one night once a year....Were....to my amazement and delight......going to be open on Wednesday night---the night before our Lunch date.....So....When we spoke on the phone I told them about this rather "special" happening, and I urged them---if possible---to come by on Wednesday night at around 10:30pm. They were pretty excited....And, they said not only could they come, but that they indeed, would come on by....! So there, in the picture above is dear Jamie taking pictures of these amazing blooms....(I'm sure she will post some of her pictures too, once she returns to Arkansas.....) Meanwhile.....This is part of what they saw. There were 9 flowers that opened that night....And it is really very exciting to see this many wide open and know that in the morning they will be completely closed up.....Here below is brother Jason looking at the flowers and taking pictures, too..... And here is a closer look at the very handsome Jason concentrating on those wonderfully magical flowers..... And below is another example of what is so special about these wonderful flowers.......I will be doing a post soon showing more of these and showing them closer-up, too...... And there was a "bonus" that night.....Jamie and Jason got to see another Night Blooming Cereus that is blooming at this time. This plant lives in the 'bed' next to my Garage and is quite filled with flowers this time of year....When those flowers die, they drop off and what is left turns into this delicious fruit, which the birds---specifically The Finches----"sup" on when the fruit is ripe! These flowers are smaller and the centers are quite different and they have a lovely gentle fragrance......After we had our fill of all this fantastic 'night' activity, we then went into the house and out on my Deck, which you may recall faces the city, and sat and talked for quite a while.....They both took some pictures of the city at night and then, they took their leave, coming back to my house about twelve hours later. We had a lovely lunch and I think Jamie took some pictures of that....And then both Jamie and Jason went down into the Garden....I stayed up on the deck and took pictures of them down there on that steep but beautiful hill....... And then, we took pictures of each other 'taking' pictures...lol.... Then Jamie and Jason began taking lots of pictures of the plants in the garden....I haven't seen any yet, but I know I will after Jamie gets back home to Arkansas, or, as she calls it 'Hicksville'. (That is so funny to me because out on Long Island, N. Y., where I grew up, there is an actual town called Hicksville.....) Then, they began to explore a bit....... Though Jamie changed her mind about going down that path because there is a plant that almost covers the walkway.....But here us a closer look at Jason---kind of hidden behind those Euphorbia Amak Variegated plants...... You can kind of see how tall these Amak's are, knowing that Jason is quite a tall man.....Meanwhile, Jamie went to a different path---One that was less cluttered..... But then she decided to stay where she was and take a lot of pictures right there....Then Jason came back and they both went onto the Deck that is there, close to the bottom of my property.... They both were just snapping away like crazy...I love that! Jason saw something once he was down there that he wanted to show his sister.....So......I meant to ask them what it was he was pointing out to Jamie....Was it the City? Was it a Hummingbird, possibly....(He did say he saw one down there)....Once there, Jason took some close-ups of some of the plants.....And then he checked what he photographed..... And I got a close-up of him, from way up above on my deck.....Then....they began going towards the other side of the garden, where they would be out of sight to me from my vantage point......So before they went out of sight completely, I got a lovely closeup of dear Jamie.....And so, another lovely special visit with Jamie Dawn came to a close, (She was here last year about the same time, and that was when I got to meet her and her dear brother for the very first time.....) Jason and Jamie came up stairs from the garden below, and we sat out on the Patio in the front for a little while and then they left these Hills on their way back to Pasadena. And then they left early the next morning for Northern California. It is such an amazing thing to know that without blogging, I would never have had this very special and lovely friendship.....Isn't Blogging the most fantastically amazing thing?





More To Come...........







33 Comments:
had this to say:

the "trail" through your garden is always so spectacular!! How lucky can you company get to be there the one night a year that your plant blooms!! My luck runs that I'd be there the day AFTER it bloomed lol..

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 3:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great garden! I once had a giant euphorbia when I lived in La Habra Heights. It was my favorite house --the garden and all. We used to go out at night and shine the flashlights on the flowers. It really was something magical.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 5:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Jamie Dawn and her brother were lucky to be able to see the cereus! And lucky to see you again, Naomi. Wonderful photos, as usual. I met some new bloggers last week, too. YOu can see their photos in my post today and yesterday.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 7:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a nice visit with Jamie and Jason! I'm glad they got to see those lovely flowers blooming. Also getting to explore your garden I'm sure was a thrill to them! I met Jason and he is such a nice guy and of course JD is such a sweetheart!

Yes, blogging friends are great!!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 7:58:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a special double visit. Great that you can both renew your friendship and give then such a rewarding time. I love Jason's hair.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 8:54:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a beautiful garden! Do you belong to a garden club? Because your garden is worthy of awards.

Nice to see fellow bloggers making friendships outside of blogland. Jamie and her brother look wonderful.

Now, get your nose back to the grindstone with the videos about those Emmy's! LOL

Take care,
Anne

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 9:15:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love the garden, and I'm glad you had a great day with friends.

Cheers.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 9:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It's no wonder they couldn't stop taking photos, your garden is so beautiful and begs to be photographed!

How lovely to meet up like this. I have only met one blogger so far but I hope to meet others if the chance arises :) Glad you had such a lovely visit.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 10:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It only blooms only bloom for one night once a year?! Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Your garden looks amazing, Naomi!

It sounds like you had a lovely visit!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 11:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

those flowers are amazing! I love that they only bloom one night, there's something so determined to be who they are about that!

I love the pics of everyone taking pics lol

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 1:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely visit, Naomi! I am glad to seeing Jamie Dawn and her brother in your beautiful garden. Nice photos, too! Sounds you all had a wonderful time!
Sure, I agree, blogging is the most fantastical and amazing thing!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 3:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like Jamie and Jason had a wonderful time visiting you and your garden.....Your once a year blooming flower is just beautiful. It is a shame that it doesn't bloom more than that. Maybe I can come see you, one of these days, and see your garden "in the real".

I have met one of my blogging friends and he is really nice. I love my blogging friends, they add demension to my life.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 3:31:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Great flower pix. I would have loved being able to take close up shots of the plants too. We just got back from a trip to San Francisco and I told M, I wish we could have swung a trip down to L.A., I would have loved to visit you along with a number of dear friends who live nearby. Maybe someday.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 3:40:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Long time, no blog!

Wow...those flowers (and photos) are just fantastic. And it's nice to see some wider shots of your garden, too. The difference in foliage between the coasts is always startling to this Virginia gal.

Great catching back up...I am finally back in the swing of things if you want to stop by.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Look at their focus on taking the pictures :) Love them all!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 8:34:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great ocassion, night blooming and dear blogging friends!!!
Lovely shots as always :)

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 12:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

once again your photos dazzle me, Naomi. Not just the night bloomers, but how you captured your guests exploring the garden as well. tw- tomorrow night I'm in LA attending the Alzheimer's benefit- I'll tell you more later!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Whenever I have been in Tucson at the right time, I have loved the way you drive into a wash and it will be like out of Arabian nights as the scent permeates the air completely. You don't see them but you know they are out there. Your photos were beautiful of the flowers and your friends

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 10:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How great they were able to be there for the opening night ( hehe little showbiz joke for you)

It is almost exactly 2 years ago you took pictures off your deck of Mark and I down in the garden too :D
Hope the Emmy watching is going well, John Adams was meant to have been fantastic from what I hear.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 2:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm home, safe and sound. I took the day yesterday to get rested and unpacked and settled back into life here in AR.
I just wrote my first post, and came over to read yours.
We had a storm come through which caused the internet to go wacky off & on, so I was kind of miffed over that. I'm eager to read more blogs tonight, so I'll be MAD if the weather interferes any more with the internet connection. You might hear me cursing all the way from AR!!!
I enjoyed your post and pics from our visits. Jason and I had such a wonderful time. We chatted much of the way back to his place about how wonderful it was to meet you and also to meet up again with Doug, another blog buddy. The ease of conversation is just like we've known each other well for a long time - and I guess through blogging, I've known you for well over two years now.
It is such a joy!!
Thank You for being such a kind hostess and for allowing us to come see you TWICE this time!!
You are a beautiful lady and a dear, dear friend. I am truly blessed to know you.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

:)

So glad you got to share the night flowers with Jamie and Jason. The sharing of special things makes them even more meaningful, doesn't it? :)

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 9:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm so glad you were able to share the blooming experience with some friends. Those flowers are so beautiful.
Naomi, I love how you know each of your plants as though each were your child.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 9:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My blogger friend Jazz did a post about blogger friends today. She lives in Montreal and we met last year. Although you and I haven't met, we are blogger friends once removed as we have both met Jeanette. And I have a new blogger friend Scarlet, that found me through your blog. It is a great and wonderful world this blogger universe.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 11:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I am so jealous of Jamie Dawn! I really am. I want to come visit you and take pictures in that extraordinary garden of yours! And meet Sweetie too!!!!

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 6:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I wouldn't want to fall into a cactus. Those night flowers are out of this world and Jamie looks like a pink bloom in the last shot.

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 7:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That's just a bit of all right, Lady. Thanks for all the pictures.

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 6:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so jealous!! I would love to meet a fellow blogger one day and Jamie Dawn is just wonderful. I'm sure she was just as thrilled to meet you last year.

It looks like the three of you had a great time again. The flowers are spectacular, and I can't wait to read JD's take on this experience on her blog.

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 7:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your garden is a magical place. How lucky you are to have it.

I was telling my son about your post because I had never heard of a flower that blooms for one night only. He said he knew all about them. When I asked him how he knew about them, he said from the movie Dennis the Mennace! So I said, what did they have to do with Dennis? And He said,"Dennis ruined them all and got into trouble." I missed the movie... but I sure enjoyed the pictures on your blog!!! Beautiful.

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 4:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love those flowers... so exotic and yet simple too. So Pretty.
~S :)

Monday, August 25, 2008 at 7:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, I know if I visited your place I would be snapping away too and let me tell you, if my dad visited we wouldn't see him for a few hours!!! (Crazy photographer he is!)

How lucky for you to have some blogging mates pop by. I hope to visit one day!

Thanks for your words on my blog. I have had some bad news last week but we're coping with what may be at the moment. I have just done a post so you may want to read it. Thanks again Naomi.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 5:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful garden. I've always wanted to try Bonzi trees but never had the guts to.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 5:58:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You had told me when we spoke that she was coming, so I've been wondering where the blog was...lol
What a great visit all of you had. And how fortunate for them to see those incredible flowers in bloom at night. (I'm jealous..lol)
And yes....blogging is indeed a wonderful way to meet and make new and great friends. So glad you shared all of this with us.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 4:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just popped by from Jamie's blog. Great pictures...the flowers are beautiful!

Monday, September 1, 2008 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.