Tuesday, September 30, 2008
paul newman 1925 - 2008

In a certain way, it is hard for me to think of Paul Newman no longer being alive. He was such a big part of my life, for so long. This solid presence. He was like an Oak Tree. You just felt he would always be there. I think of two performances that were particularly meaningful to me in his later film career. The character in "Absence Of Malice", and the drunken lawyer in "The Verdict"....these were from the more mature Oak Tree, and both were fine fine performances in very fine pictures that had great integrity, just like the man himself.I remember the first time I saw Paul Newman on the stage was in the Broadway play, "Picnic" by William Inge. The year was 1953, and it was Paul Newman's Broadway debut! I had seen him in some television shows before that, but I honestly hadn't registered what a really good actor he was, until "Picnic". There was an incandescence. The next time I saw him on Broadway was in 1959, (He was already a great screen presence by that time....) in one of Tennessee Williams most memorable and stunning plays, "Sweet Bird Of Youth". (He had previously starred in another great play of Williams, adapted for the screen---"Cat On A Hot Tin Roof", with Elizabeth Taylor in 1956.....) The great great Geraldine Page playing The Princess Kosmonopolis, starred in this beautiful play along with Mr. Newman, and when it was made into a film in 1962, both these stars were actually 'starring' in the film version as well---not a very common thing in those days----and they were both superb on stage and on film! I can still see him standing there on the apron of the stage, as the play began---talk about unforgettable. Paul Newman was one of those important touchstones of talented actors who's career will always be remembered as long as there is a film industry and people around to watch his pictures. A Superb Actor, And A True "Star".I didn't know Paul Newman personally, but I know many people who did, and I have never heard any of these people say one bad word about him professionally or personally. And though I did not know him, I had great respect for his talent and for him as a person, too....His generosity was legendary here in this country and all over the world, as well. The food company, 'Newman's Own', established in 1982---every dollar of the over $250 Million raised by this Salad Dressing, Popcorn and Tomato Sauce business has gone to Charity. The 'Hole In The Wall Gang', is a wonderful Camp he created for children with severe life-threatening illnesses---eventually, there were and are 11 of these fabulous Camps, throughout the world....This was a good and kind man, who personified the word integrity. His big and generous heart touched thousands and thousands of people. That legacy alone is really quite remarkable.Many years ago I was in Sardi's Restaurant one night, quite late in the evening, and he was there with a group of gentlemen having dinner after a long days film shoot of "Fort Apache, The Bronx"....as I left, I walked by his table, and our eyes met. He had the most beautiful blue eyes of any man I have ever seen....and there was this 'something' that passed between us....a moment. I never forgot it because Paul Newman was an icon of Sex Appeal in my day. I'm sure that every woman who ever locked eyes with him felt this visceral thing----this animal magnetism....This was a man!To this day, when I describe my cat Sweetie's eyes, I always say---'He has Blue Eyes like Paul Newman'.....And he truly does......! This memory just flooded back: Sitting in a movie theatre in Westwood, CA. with a date, watching the film "The Hustler"---it had just come out. The man next to me began swearing under his breath because he was so caught up in Paul Newman's performance---I thought it was terrific that he was so caught up in the film and in the intensity of Newman's performance. My date, out of nowhere, started a fist fight with this guy because he said these words in front of me. It was a nightmare, and we missed quite a bit of the next two or three scenes because of it....My date was not speaking for me, at all, and in fact, that incident changed my perception of him and that was the end of that for us! The realness of Paul Newman's acting---one of 'the greats'----caused a fist fight! I had forgotten all about that till just this minute......!My heart goes out to his dear wife of over 50 years, Joanne Woodward, and to his children as well as to the rest of his family and his legion of friends....He will be dearly missed.....And what a body of work he left us----what great gifts he left us: To have so many wonderful film performances available of his on DVD to watch anytime we want. With more than 65 plus films to his credit, he was a true Movie Star and everything that that used to mean.....The last of a certain breed, I think....Bless You On Your Journey, Dear Paul. You brought such a lot of joy to so very many people in your lifetime. Rest In Peace, dear man.


More To Come...... .











37 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

We have lost a great man and a great humanitarian. All should take a page from his book and "give back" like he did, not matter how big or small.

Thanks for this wonderful tribute.

Anne

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 2:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, my dear, I was waiting for your comments on him. I'm completely bowled over not only by his acting, but how he lived his life. $240 million made and given away, 135,000 children sent to camp --gratis, charities well known and small all given to in the name of the common good.

And he did it quietly, unlike others who barter to have their name thrown across a building, or want their photo in the page every time they sneeze.

He was a humble philanthropist to who lived his life to the fullest.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 3:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Naomi!! I knew you'd do him justice!..

my heart immediately went out to Joanne, after all those years to loose the love of your life.. i can't even imagine the pain.

He's one of the greats for sure, and is missed already.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 5:34:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Obviously, he was a fine, fine actor who provided many hours of enjoyment for the rest of us. Every thing I've ever read about him indicates that he was better person than actor. I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

He'll *definitely* be missed. He was one of the greatest actors of his generation.

A sad day indeed.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 7:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful tribute! And I love his Italian dressing!!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 8:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It IS hard to believe that he is gone, isn't it. He was a good man.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It was very strange that Friday night I was watching him in Torn Curtain and I said I had seen very few of his movies and wow - was he gorgeous AND a good actor and then the next morning I saw that he had dies. Weird.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 2:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your tribute to him is lovely.
That part about the fist fight really threw me!
His charity was well known, and it really speaks volumes about the man. He could have easily kept those funds for himself, but he gave them all away and has helped many, many people. His charity will go on and on.
I hope his dear wife and family and loved ones are handling their grief okay. Loss can really be so devastating that it's hard to get back on track with life. Their lives will never be the same without him, that's for sure.
I've seen Sweetie's Paul Newman blue eyes in person, and they are VERY blue!!!
Thanks for checking in on me. I have only been posting about once a week or so lately. I hope to get back to posting twice a week, but for now, it's too much. I had a cross necklace order to fill for a local church. It's my third big order from them, so I got those delivered last week. Whew!
Life is busy, but I'm not complaining.
:-)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 4:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You did him justice,Naomi I think your post was better than all the media posts.

He was a beautiful man..inside and out!

Thank you for sharing this.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 4:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh wasn't he handsome?? And when you lock eyes like that - oh gee...That happened to me 8 years ago in London when I saw Robbie Williams in the street (do you know him? He is a successful pop singer). We 'locked eyes' and I will never forget it!! Lol!! But to lock eyes with Paul Newman really is something else!!

Great tribute Naomi. It is a pity you have to write so many of them (it seems.) The world is losing a lot of 'greats'.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 7:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He was a wonderful man! Nice tribute to him!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He will go down in history as a great man for his accomplishments; not only on the stage and screen, but his philanthropy is unbounded and unmatched. He is one whom we should all emulate.

Not to mention the gorgeous face! I would have done anything for him (had I the chance).

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 8:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Paul Newman was one of those rare people that everyone loves like they do Carol Burnett. He really was a great star and a great person. I remember when Butch Cassidy... came out and everyone was gaga over Redford and I kept saying, "I think the other man is cuter." You were very lucky to have seen him onstage. You know, when your eyes met that time, I bet he knew who you were.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 10:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Family man, legend, sex symbol, a phenomenal actor...what can I say about Paul Newman that hasn't been said before? You're right, I've never heard a bad thing said about this man. He will be missed.

Btw, you found some incredibly sexy shots of him. He was a very attractive man!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 6:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

what a wonderful tribute to the 'Oak Tree'

I wish I could have experienced sharing the same air with him for a moment.

and Joanne! what a fabulous woman. the 2 photos of her show how beautiful she was across the years.

peace journey Mr. Newman

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 9:03:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I just got back from a 9-day trip where I wasn't watching news nor reading papers. I am slowly catching up and read about Paul Newman and knew you would have posted about him... what a great post, what a loss, he was a true Movie Star and everything that that used to mean. That's so true, Naomi!!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 1:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

that was a great post, i understand he was very generous, as well.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 5:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely tribute to Sir Paul Newman and yes, I have not read anything negative him at all infact I think celebrities of today ought and should learn from you.

May he rest in peace indeed :D

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 6:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My mom and I both had a crush on Paul Newman, what a man! He was a great actor and a good person in general. I loved the movie "The Verdict" too, he was soooo good in that movie.

I have been buying his salad dressings for a long time. He was so well rounded and talented in many areas. I also loved his wife, Joanne Woodward was is also an excellent actress. I am sure his wife and family will miss him greatly. Thanks for this tribute, Naomi.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 7:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You named my two favorite Newman movies right off the bat. I can't go without his salad dressing either. It's the only one on the market without sugar.

I hate the hole left behind when people die, especially the bigger than life ones. What a gorgeous man and wonderful and real human being.

I haven't heard much about his wife lately. Maybe she's retired.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 7:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He was a class act. As you said, all man. Seems like a lot of men could learn from him.

Now, would someone please turn the oven outside off? It needs to cool down in these parts!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 11:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Amen.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 12:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Rest In Peace indeed.
When I heard that Paul Newman had passed away, I couldn't believe it. Paul Newman? Dead? Impossible! He was one of those people who is here with us for ever, surely?
What a superb man, actor, husband, humanitarian and salad dressing king! And what a hot looker too!
Bye Paul, I'll miss you living in the same world as me.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 9:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great eulogy for a great man. I don't think anyone ever has had anything bad to say about him and that is rare in that world. So many opportunities to blow their lives and he sailed past them all with class. A beautiful man and he led a beautiful life. None of us could ask for more.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 12:26:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

An Unforgetable Man who gave so much to so many. He will forever be remembered as the truly great person he was. There is so much to admire about the kind of life he lived and the joy he brought to those he was always devoted to.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A wonderful man, person, actor, father and husband.

I hope they give hima great tribute at The Academy Awards next year.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 5:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just a really good man. How rare to find such integrity and humility in Hollywood...or anywhere these days. I love that he was with Joanne for 50 years. That was one of my favorite things about him along with all this charitable donations. I think though my favorite Newman movie would be "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid."

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 5:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you did a lovely homage to Paul Newman, a great actor and a remarkable human been too! I love his movies and I am sad he is no longer with us.

Thanks for your nice comment on my lichens's post.
Many hugs and have a lovely weekend.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 11:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

great tribute

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He was very special - both as actor, person and not to forget as a giving and dedicated person.
I was a fan of him from his first movie.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 12:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful tribute Naomi! He certainly will be missed.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 1:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A wonderful tribute, I feel so for his poor wife and family.
We have bottles of his salad dressing in our fridge as well, yes all the way over here in NZ :)

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 4:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

He seemed like a nice man :)

Sunday, October 5, 2008 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I always felt Paul would be there for ever- certainly longer than me. He felt like part of the family - not least because MTL's brother looked just like him in his younger days. May he rest in peace and may Joanna find solace.
Once when she was over here she was very taken with the Albert Memorial built by Queen Victoria for her beloved husband Albert and said - jokingly - she would do the same for Paul.

Monday, October 6, 2008 at 1:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've read this post several times, and can't form words to exprress how I feel. Such a beautful man inside and out; he came out my way to Wash St. and started one of his camps here. He touched so many lives. We need more men like himm.

Monday, October 6, 2008 at 6:27:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was deeply saddened to hear of Paul Newman's passing. A fine actor, a family man, a great husband. He's what everyone in Hollywood today should try and emulate.

Friday, October 10, 2008 at 4:47:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.