Wednesday, February 04, 2009
a movie

This is a sort of "B" post, but not really....still, the word 'boy' in the movie title does begin with a "B"......read on.....I love Netflix...I mean, I just adore it....And I have had really good luck with almost all the films I have rented over the last almost four years....There have been very few glitches----like maybe three, out of over 200 or more, films....By 'glitches', I mean where the DVD was damaged and wouldn't play, or occasionally I have to clean the disc because it is too dirty to play.....but these have been few and far between.But, a very funny thing happened when I pulled out one of my Netflix DVD's and put it in the player this past weekend.....I settled down to watch this Tyler Perry movie, and after I had fast-forwarded through all those 'trailers' that they insist on including on these DVD's and I finally got to the film itself, the images on that first "opening" page seemed to have nothing to do with the film I knew I had rented.....What the......?

I didn't have a clue to what this was, so I took the DVD out of the player and looked at the title on the disc itself and it said "Run, Fat'boy', Run"....Oy Vey, I thought. What in God's name is this crap?......What a horrible name for a film....Very Very Unappealing and this is not what I ordered...!


Well, guess what, my dears? I went ahead and watched it and I LOVED every minute of it! It is laugh-out-loud-funny with a wonderful cast of mostly English actors, because, in fact, the film takes place in London. There are two Americans involved in the film, Hank Azaria, who is a really wonderful talented actor, and David Schwimmer, (Yes, David Schwimmer from "Friends"...) who Directed this film! And he did a stupendous job. The 'star' of the film is a wonderful comedic English actor/writer named Simon Pegg....He is just fabulous! (He also was one of the writer's if this charming film, by the way....) The lady of the piece is played by the very beautiful Thandie Newton....And not only is it a very funny film, it is also quite touching, as well....I not only laughed out loud----I cried out loud, too....!
If you have not seen this film and you want to have a great time with a story that actually has a lot of depth to it, rent it...You won't be disappointed. Netflix' big mistake, was a true gift to me and a delightful surprise....I still think it is a not-so-hot name, and incredibly, the film is wonderful in spite of that awful name....All the actors are just magnificent and the humor is very British in a lot of ways, which I happen to love. I'll tell you this: I never ever would have rented this film, and so I am thrilled that Netflix screwed up. I think I got the better of the deal, quite frankly....I cannot imagine that the Tyler Perry movie would even come close to this....! But I will be finding out very soon, because Netflix is sending me the correct film which I should get today! Oh, and I personally loved all the "Extras" on this DVD, more than I can say....! Particularly the 'commentary' with David Schwimmer, Simon Pegg and Thandie Newton. It was not only very very interesting but also, they're remarks were so filled with such positive lovingly genuine words about their fellow actors and all of the other creative 'artists' in the other areas that go into 'making' a film and actually making it work----like the set designer/decorator, the editor, the costume people, etc---And I found their words such a lovely and positive experience. It enriched the whole film for me in a big way. It is obvious these people cared so much about this film.....When I get any DVD, I always watch the film without the commentary and then I will watch it a second time with the commentary if the film has moved me in some way.....Sometimes the commentary is really boring, and I just don't continue watching and listening....but, other times it can be absolutely wonderful, and add so very much to the experience of the film, as it was on this DVD. So, give yourself a real treat.... IF you haven't seen this film, do rent it. You won't be sorry. Oh, and I'm not going to tell you anything about the plot of this dear sweet movie. I knew nothing about this film, and it was really and truly, a best way for me to see it. That may not be true of a lot of films, but for me---with this particular movie....It was perfect.

A little side note on another film:
I re-watched a film on one of my cable channels this past weekend, that on second viewing I found even funnier and really quite brilliant----it was "Knocked Up". Everyone is so damn good...The script is incredibly written and it too is a laugh-out-loud picture that is quite touching, as well....All the actors are absolute perfection.....And for me, this second time round gave me a much deeper appreciation of the skill of the entire enterprise on all levels, which was a lovely surprise, because, though I liked it quite a bit the first time round, some things seemed a bit gross and stupid....Like.....I thought that house full of guys? They were really stupid and rather gross. And this time round I found them all terribly terribly funny....Maybe I'm going into my second childhood, but nothing seemed gross at all to me this time round, and in fact, I found it all, terribly funny, and I think, this is a true Classic Romantic Comedy in the spirit of this decade....! Anyone else experience anything like this with "Knocked Up"?




More To Come.......







24 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I havent seen Run Fatboy Run but I love Simon Pegg. He is really funny and all. I've seen at least two his movies like: Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

I've seen Knocked Up and I thought it was a beautiful film.

Anyway, I managed to enlarge some fonts in my blog and it wasnt the recent post that you commented on. The one with the biggest picture on my blog's mainpage is always the recent article. Thank you very much for the suggestion btw.

Take care always Naomi!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 2:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved Knocked up. It was so funny. And very realistic I thought. We liked it so much that we just rented Seth's movie "Pineapple Express" Good lord, that was just about the worst movie I've ever seen.

I like the Fatboy review you gave. I will add that to my que. We use Blockbuster online because we have a Blockbuster store and I can trade the onlines in free for movies from the store. Kinda giving me double.

We went BluRay before Christmas and I love it. If you haven't done that yet you should consider it. Espeicially for the big effect movies. It is so clear that sometimes it makes Toonces a bit dizzy!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 6:52:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I saw _Run Fat Boy Run_ because I actually ordered it from Netflix. I saw previews in the theatre and knew I wanted to see it and knew also it would never come to the theatre in my small town. I also saw _Knocked Up_ and loved it. I've only seen it once though. Another movie I ordered from Netflix was _The Visitor_. I ordered it because it had so many stars behind it, even though the description didn't really pull me in. So after it sat so long, we sent it back to Netflix without watching it. So, a couple days after we mailed it back unviewed, M read an amazing review for it plus saw it was nominated for some awards and that one of our favorite actors, Richard Jenkins, formerly on "Six Feet Under" was in it. He's now nominated for an Oscar for his role in this film. Well, without giving away the plot of the film, I want to say I was deeply touched by the film and pulled into the lives of the characters in a way that seldom happens in films. I would highly recommend this film.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 7:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good Wednesday to you, Naomi.

I haven't watched either one of them, and so rarely watch tv that I am unlikely to, unfortunately.

Glad that you enjoyed them so much !

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 9:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

well.....looks like you were meant to watch that one! I have heard good things about Fatboy from friends and will look out for it...i could use a good laugh.

so many movies i want to see and must get off my duff and do something about it....Revolutionary Rd., the Visitor, The Reader (I loved the novel which i read years ago) are my top three.

You know one of my all time favourite movies....one which surprised me because i wasn't expecting anything from it was Waking Ned Devine. Did you ever see that one Naomi? It reminded me of Bill Forsythe's movies. Very funny and touching.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 12:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I rarely watch movies anymore, mostly spend my time reading but how neat that a "mistake" turned into something you truly enjoyed!!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 1:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have watched "Knocked Up" at least 4 times! It just tickles me. Put "Role Models" in your Netflix queue. We saw it in the theater and I can't wait see it again.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 4:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I haven't seen either movie however I'll keep it in mind. We saw Taken while in Chicago and it was brilliant.

I love movies..all kinds..

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 4:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have not seen the first movie, but I tried to watch Knocked Up on HBO and fell asleep. From what you say, it deserves a second look!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 8:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I just went to Yahoo movies and watched the trailer for both of them. As it happens, my husband walked past me to the kitchen and said he's heard about Run Fatboy Run and has wanted to see it for awhile.

Then when I watched the trailer for Knocked Up, he goes, "Oh, I have that movie if you want to see it."

Of course he does. He's like my own personal Blockbuster. :)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 9:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have seen Knocked Up and it is funny. I havent seen it in a while now again. But this other one I havent heard of. I dont know if I could get Jeff my husband to watch it.. LOL.. One of those that I need to rent when he's not home I guess...

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

i havent seen them either but i love netflix we use it all the time. i will add them to my movie list thanks!

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 4:32:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I remember reading about the Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer film and I'm glad you like it because I like them both. After a series of malfunctions we are using my mother's old TV which means we can't use the other paraphanalia. It's time we did something about it but we seem to be in a sort of stasis which means it seems to take all our time to do the routine stuff without dong extras. It's the cold weather I think:)

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 7:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We could all use more mistakes like this in our lives. Imagine a movie entitled "Run Fatboy Run" being enjoyable. Had there not been that mixup with Netflix, you wouldn't have watched it...and if you wouldn't have watched it, you wouldn't have recommended it. Now that you did, I'll be looking for it. See how powerful "word of mouth" is...which is EXACTLY how I found my new job.

I'll post about that later. ;)

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 6:11:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a pleasant surprise and what a great review you gave us. I've never seen or heard of the movie, but get the urge to watch it.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 10:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I remember hearing about this. Simon Pegg is great and will be Scotty in the new Star Trek. I will add this right now to the top of my Netflix queue.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 11:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I didn't like Knocked UP, maybe I should give it a second chance, well see..

The other movie, I haven't seen....I'll watch for it.

Have you seen Romy and Michelle? or Grosse Point Blank? Those were two movies I didn't think would be good but surprised me...

Friday, February 6, 2009 at 8:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love Run Fatboy Run - it's one of my all-time favourite movies. Simon is fabulous (Brits rule!) and Hank is just SO funny - as always.
We feel righteous that Wit gets his come-uppance.

cq

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Simon Pegg is great - I've liked his stuff all the way through. I think Run Fatboy is probably the least good of his stuff - probably too much Hollywood influence LOL.

As for silly film titles - you lot gave us "Snakes on a plane" "Bulletproof Monk" and my least favourite "Happyness" spelled incorrectly for the British market.:) And lets be honest "Knocked up" is hardly the most enticing title:) I think the marketers have run out of ideas!

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 10:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Run Fatboy Run is quite a funny film and has lots of London shots in it. Simon Pegg is well known in the UK and has done some comic series like 'Spaced' which is about singles flat/apartment dwelling.

The plot of RFR is quite 'conventional' in a lot of ways but with the characterizations its still a good fun film, even if we all sort of predict how it will end.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 12:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Some of my favorite experiences in life seem to happen when I end up on an unintended path. Getting lost seems to be a precursor to discovery. You've got a soul that's open to it...which is one of the reasons you are as unique as you are.

BTW, I e-mailed you some thoughts/suggestions on resolving the font size issue you mentioned earlier this eve. Let me know if it helps.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 8:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I saw Knocked Up, and I got a lot of laughs out of it.
I haven't even heard of Run Fat Boy Run. I will have to see that one, and I will also recommend that one to Courtney. She likes to watch the director's commentary after she watches movies too. She enjoys hearing them talk about the nuts and bolts of how they made the film and also hear the commentary of the actors.
Courtney uses Netflix too.
I love movies so much that I'm surprised I've never signed up for Netflix.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 9:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Run Fat Boy Run sounds great! I'll have to rent it and see. I love British comedy!! What a nice mistake for them to make!

I have not seen Knocked Up. I love comedy though. Those are my favorite movies to watch. I do like the Tyler Perry ones and I like his shows on TV, Tyler Perry's House of Payne, and Meet the Browns. Both funny!!

Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 2:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I saw "Run, Fatboy, Run" a couple times ... it's hilarious!

And I liked "Knocked Up" too. Silly fun timewaster.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 at 5:45:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.