Friday, June 12, 2009
france - 1969 part 10

One morning, after our breakfast out on the little deck at Lou Miradou, Olga called The Picasso's. (Yes, Pablo and Jacqueline Picasso), and reaching Jacqueline, she said; "Joe's daughter is here visiting from America and we would love her to meet you and Pablo...". Jacqueline was very gracious and said that they would be delighted....Olga did good!So, a date was made and a few days later in the mid-afternoon, we went to the Picasso's home in Mougins. To say I was excited was putting it mildly. I never dreamed that I would get to actually meet Pablo Picasso....so, this was, needless to say, a very very special moment---to meet one of the greatest and most famous Artists of The 20th Century was the absolute highlight of highlights....So, I was beyond ecstatic!We arrived at the gate of their Villa and drove up to the house, where there was a small area for parking cars. We parked and then went into this little house---not the main house but a kind of annex-house right across from the main building----into a very comfortable living-room-study-like area where they often entertained, and there they were.
Jacqueline and Pablo Picasso (and a friend of Jacqueline's was there, too...)....I think they were all surprised to see that I was a grown woman and not a little girl. (Somehow they had gotten the idea that I was a young child.) Picasso seemed quite delighted at this fact and was very complementary to me..."Tres Belle!", he said, looking directly into my eyes. He truly seemed quite taken with me when he saw I was a mature women. I realized later that in actuality I looked a lot like many of the different women he had lived with or had been married to throughout his lifetime....He also seemed quite thrilled that I wasn't married---he actually clapped his hands and smiled very broadly.....lol! I have no idea what that meant.


He had these very piercing eyes that really took you in and he looked you straight in the eyes when he spoke to you, which I found very disarming....and also, he seemed to take great delight in just about everything he saw---and he looked very closely at everything.....
He was very interested in my earrings---saying they were 'Tres Jolie', so I took one of them off so he could study it more closely. It truly wasn't anything special...but, he was fascinated by it. He was also incredibly interested in my Cleopatra ring, which I was wearing that day. It is a beautiful lavender carved Intaglio stone that I had found in a shop back in Los Angeles and had had it made into a ring, sometime in 1962....It was a ring I wore almost every tine I went anywhere....I just loved it so much, and still do. So I was thrilled that Picasso noticed it and asked me about it.....You know how there are some things that you have that have such special meaning to you? So for an artist like Picasso to be interested in this ring of mine....well, it meant a lot to me......
It was probably my most favorite piece of jewelry, ever, and I wore it for years and years and years until just recently, because now, it no longer fits over my knuckles (thank you 'Golden Years'....), plus, I don't go anywhere anymore.....Because Picasso was so interested in it, I took it off so he could study it more carefully. Watching him look at this ring with such great interest was quite amazing in and of itself. He was also fascinated by my camera and the 'camera light bulb cubes' that we had at that time....I handed one of those cubes to him so he could study it---which he did, and very very carefully, too....It was as if he was possibly going to paint it. He was as interested in that little 'light cube' cube, as he had been in my ring and my earring....His whole attitude in life was wonderfully child-like and enthusiastic! I was very taken with him---I mean, who wouldn't be and how could you not be. And Jacqueline was fantastic, too!
There was something about her---a peacefulness and a quiet strength that was very very attractive. Somewhere along the way Daddy and Olga must have told the Picasso's that I was a singer and so, at one point I sang sixteen bars or so of a German song that I had learned, having heard Marlene Dietrich sing it and having fallen in love with it...."Frag Nicht Varoom Ich Gaya" .....('Don't Ask Me Why I Leave You'.....). Picasso seemed particularly moved by this wonderful little song.....Then, it was time for me to get a few pictures of him. We went outside and I took as many snapshots as I could of Picasso holding this picture of himself.
I love the way he just stood there---feet planted firmly---just "being" himself..... And here below, a third picture, a little closer, in this same position......Olga then took this one picture of me with Picasso....it is not a great great picture, but I'm happy to have anything at all with him! And below---moving in a little closer.......My camera was a half-frame Olympus, which was a really wonderfully compact little camera, at the time and for that time......It was a great little camera to travel with because of it's light weight---not that common back in 1969....But the Half-framed slides were more difficult to work with when attempting to make prints. All the pictures I took there in the South of France were taken with this terrific little camera.


We then went inside again and Picasso signed some books to Daddy and then.....the most wonderful thing happened.I had brought the Madoura Gallerie Poster with me that Mme Remie had given me and which she had signed. (You can see she signed it over on the far right, under the picture of the ceramic.....) Well, while we were there, Picasso signed it for me, as well, and he even drew a cute little face on it......That shadow on the picture of his signature and little drawing below, is me taking this picture.....lol.I mean, this was FANTASTIC to me! To have an "original" Picasso drawing of any size was such a sweet sweet gift....It was all quite heady, as you can imagine......It was so very hot that afternoon that Picasso took off his very colorful shirt and was then just in his undershirt....And I got to take some more pictures of everyone...... I love this picture. Picasso is still inside looking out through the window, and Daddy and Jacqueline are standing outside....It was great to capture the three of them in this way.....Then, below, Daddy is dancing with Jacqueline.....D.J. loved to dance..... And then below....another shot of the two of them...... That is Jacqueline's friend in the background....I don't remember her name, but she was a delightful person....And she spoke a little English, so we were able to converse a bit. And that was the one thing that was not too great. Unfortunately my French was not very good, and Picasso spoke no English at all.....And Daddy spoke not a word of French. Olga's French was the best of all three of us, Thank God. But the communication was on some other level that was really kind of unexplainable and rather magical. To see Daddy Joe and Picasso together......well, from the pictures I took, one would never know that they did not speak the same language. They sure look cute together, don't they? And my favorite of just the two of them is this one, below..... And below, here is Picasso with Olga.....He did like women.....a lot! And another picture with Olga, below...... I love this next picture of Picasso.....there is this wonderful 'Cheshire cat' look on his face....he certainly was a man who enjoyed life to the fullest..... And below...a slightly closer look at the same picture.... This next picture is interesting because Picasso is in the forefront with Jacqueline talking to Olga in the background...... We were getting ready to leave....and I wanted to get a picture looking out that window that Picasso had been standing in...... Actually, I think it was one of the first pictures I took before we went outside to take all the others....I'm afraid it was reversed in the scanning....the shutter was really on the other side....This was such a charming house and the grounds were wonderfully charming, too..... And above....the group. Daddy Joe, Jacqueline, Olga, Jacqueline's friend, and Pablo......It was quite a fantastic afternoon in every way.....We then got into the car and I took one last shot looking out the window of the car from the backseat...... That is Daddy's arm leaning on the open car window....Jacqueline is standing in front of that gate and Picasso is waving 'Goodbye' from behind the gate, just barely visible......There is something quite wonderful about this picture.

We left there around 7pm, and went back home and had our dinner at home that evening and talked about the very rare and special afternoon we had just experienced.....As my dear friend Hanna used to say about a fun evening or a party or a special afternoon..."You have collected a special memory...". The entire visit there at The Picasso's home, Notre-Dame-de-Vie, in Mougins, was memorable in every way possible........



More To Come.........



Note: Sorry I haven't been around.....I'm just trying to take care of me as best I can.....I will try to get around over this weekend, if I am able.......












37 Comments:
had this to say:

What a wonderful memory! To meet the world famous artist himself at his lovely home, and you still have the poster he signed for you, what a treasure. Your father and Olga must have been thrilled to meet Picasso and his wife too.... was that the first time that they had met? I am so glad you have recorded your memories of that trip to France all those years ago.... I have so enjoyed reading all about it.
meanwhile.... take care of yourself, Naomi. I'm sending you positive vibes....

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 5:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a story and great pictures to help tell it. I loved every detail and studied the pictures that brought the story to life. I love how fascinated he was with everything and I was intrigued by his shoes. I think my brother Danny had a pair like that when he was a little boy, brown with a white center, and they had a special meaning to me.

I'm also amazed at how good your pictures came out back in the day and how many you took. What a gracious man he was. I do remember those cubes.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 6:05:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Sorry you haven't been around lately. Hope you're feeling alright. Okay, so this is the first post where I am actually jealous! Picasso for Pete's sake! How awesome! You should print out this post and put it in the back of the frame of that poster, so years from now people will know the story behind the poster and the original Picasso drawn on it. How truly amazing.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 6:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A very, very, very special memory indeed!!!
I love your daddy's shorts and knee socks.

:-)

Thanks for sharing this with us. It is truly a rare experience and one to be cherished.
How fascinating to have interacted so personally with Picasso!!! He thought you were quite something, didn't he? You caught his eye, I am sure! I like that he was so interested in small things such as your earrings and ring, and he saw their value and delighted in them.
That signed print is a treasure for sure! What makes it so remarkable is that he signed it right there just for YOU!!!!
Your daddy really did rub shoulders with some exquisite artists.

I've not been on the computer much lately since my dad is here. It is funny how you are writing about your dad and I am writing about mine too. I haven't gone to France like you did... YET... but I hope to some day. My mom is home from her trip. She was overwhelmed by the beauty and opulence of Monaco. She said it was incredible.

:-)

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 7:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You really have had the most amazing experiences, Naomi - what a treat to meet Picasso and his wife !
Why not send your ring out to be risized so it will still fit ?
Sorry that you are still not feeling well - my empathy, dearest...

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 8:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow. Just when I think you've already told me the coolest thing ever, you come up with something else. And no matter how much you may have loved that great lttle camera, today I love it just as much! Thanks for sharing this awesome experience.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 11:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Picasso.

Wow.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 12:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful photographs and what a memory to have met a great master. As for not getting around, take care of yourself and do what helps you. Nothing else you could do would matter as much *hugs* Grief must take its time.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 12:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Have to agree with Vancouver Voyeur. The story behind the signature is so special and needs recorded.
What a day you had. I was interested in how he noticed every detail.
Also it had to be flattering to have captured his attention so well. Pretty sure he was flirting with you which would have been a wonderful memory by itself.
Thank you again for letting us come along.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 2:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful post and wonderful memories. I loved the way you told this story. I was just visiting Loving Annie and thought I would click on your blog. So glad I did.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 6:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

"You have collected a special memory..."

Very special, indeed. :)

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 6:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, wow, what a wonderful experience. I am so enjoying the pictures and reading the story of your trip. You are so beautiful! Looks like Picasso had an eye for dark-haired beauties. Your daddy and Picasso look like they could be brothers.

I sure hope the sunshine comes back into your life soon. I know it takes time for your heart to heal after such a loss.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 7:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You've hung out with some amazing people!

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 8:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This was such a delightful treat to read your story and see these most fabulous pictures! Thank you so much for sharing such a unique and beautiful experience.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 11:10:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Very, very cool. Thanks for the memory and photos. Oh and "Tres Belle?" "Oui!"

Cheers.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The way you described meeting Picasso is like something from a fairytale, a naughty one, maybe. ;)

What is it with Spanish men and the women they meet? I don't think it would've made much of a difference if you were married; he found you and your jewels fascinating and that was all there was to it.

What a thrill it must've been to spend time with such a wonderfully talented artist...and to have him look into your eyes. Wow...it doesn't matter that he could be my grandfather in those pics. He's Picasso and he's hot!! :)

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos as well. I love the one of your father w/ Picasso. They look like brothers.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 1:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm speechless. Everyone says it, but again--thank you for sharing. What a life you've led.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 7:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fantastic day you had!! and how special to meet Picasso! I think had he been younger, he would have made a pass at you, Naomi. Perhaps he did anyway? LOL

Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 10:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm enjoying reading your France posts and seeing the pictures. Nice of you to share your memories. Can only imagine the thrill you experienced meeting all of your father's interesting friends. I'm sure as the years have passed your reflections take on varying perspectives. How delightful for you to have met Picasso on such an informal intimate level. Enjoyed your impressions of him and your accounts of the trip.

I wish you comfort as you cope with your feelings for your friend and hope you can enjoy loving memories. Enclosed in warm hugs are healing thoughts I send to you.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 4:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
you are unbeatable.
While other people rarly visit a Museum with Pablo Picasso's orginal's, you met him. And did even sing for him. That's you in a Nut Shell.
You are incredible when come to, as blogger, to write facinating stories
about people you have met.
(Why did I not bring a Camera along those days? Too late to think about now)

btw. Everything OK?

hugs from
Tor
Norway

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 10:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, wow. What a fantastic meeting!

Take care of yourself, sweet woman.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 10:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

To say this is fascinating is putting it mildly. What an occasion meeting Picasso! And to have special photos with him! I can see why you love the one with him inside and your dad out so much, that is a superb photo in every way!

Lots of love to you Naomi. Hang in there sweetheart.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 11:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for continuing the story, Naomi. I always look forward to hte next installment.
xox

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 8:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How very wonderful to meet this famous artist in person and go to his home to visit!! I love that picture of him standing in the window. I love the way the vines are growing up the sides of the house like that!

I agree with what Vancouver Voyeur said about that autograph of his! Most definitely would be interesting for future generations to know the whole story.

Thinking of you and dear Sweetie. You take care of yourself. Hugs!!

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 8:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Please continue to take good care of yourself. What would the Blogosphere be without Naomi?

I learn more from a brief visit to your blog than I learned in all my years of college. You hold so much magic and culture in your head! I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing with the rest of us.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 10:39:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a treat for a Monday morning. Bless you Naomi for doing this for us when I know how you are struggling. I knew you had met Picasso but had no idea you had such treasures. No wonder he looks happy - surrounded by four beautiful women and I can imagine his delight at seeing you instead of a child. I think you have captured his childlike- ness (if there is such a word) perfectly - I think that is why his work is so amazing in all its different forms. You know the book I told you about 'Goodbye Picasso' that last photograph would be the perfect illustration for it IMO.
A quite wonderful post.

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 1:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That is an awsome story Niaomi. Beautiful post thanks for sharing.

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 3:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! What a great post, Naomi! Just amazing to meet the Great Picasso! Wonderful photos, great narrative! You look very, very beautiful with Picasso. I agree with your friend, Loving Annie, you really have had the most amazing experiences!
Thanks so much for sharing your memories and pictures.

I hope you will be fine soon! A big hug to you.

PS: Here a news: I just return to my blog Leaves of Grass.

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 10:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love people who look you directly in the eye, especially men

when you're Picasso I guess all you need to do is just stand there LOL

this is another fantastic episode, thanks!!

hope you're feeling better

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 1:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks my dear Naomi for your nice and kind words on Leaves of Grass. I am glad you like my return and also enjoy my photos and mention my photo with the kids. Seeing my old photos I see that I was so slim...LOL!

I am looking forward to see another Picasso's post!
Have a nice day!

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Came over via Scarlet,

What an awesome post! Thanks so much for sharing such an intimate time and a great life experience with us! I really really appreciated it!

John

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 10:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Such an awesome post Naomi, I could seriously cry! Wow. Now I knw over your lifetime you have met some wonderful people, many famous and many not, but I think for the fact you met Picasso, has seriously blown me away.

Simply awesome. There is no other word for it!

Keep well Naomi, as I go on to read France - 1969 part 11...

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 3:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I was WOW-ing over your Part 11. This is even more amazing and I just can't imagine how you must have felt meeting Picasso. I would have been so star struck! But it does seem as though he was warm, welcoming and fun, which I *think* would have allowed me to open up and do as you did, take and pose for photos. What a great time you were able to capture! This series has been so amazing to read, and I truly thank you for sharing.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 6:33:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Okay....I admit it....I'm blown away by this one! WOW! Not only to have "rubbed elbows" with Picasso, but to actually spend time with him. My God, what an incredible experience to have!
Oh, yeah...he loved the ladies and there's NO doubt, after seeing your photos, that he was MUCH more interested in YOU than that ring and ear ring.....lol But why not? Gosh, you looked like one of the Parisian models and I bet he'd have given anything to have you pose for him!
Terrific post, Naomi! I sure did enjoy it! I had visited his Picasso's museum in Paris a couple of times....but to think, YOU actually spent TIME with him. Amazing!

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 2:13:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My name is Adam. Just a random reader from Tel Aviv. You look like someone who could help me with something I think about a fair bit.

I love Picasso. I often wonder about the way people talk about his attitude to women. Do you think he loved women in a kind way. A way we would think of as good all these many years later? Would you have known and been able to tell back in te day?

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 9:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, Naomi -- how incredible to have this experience! Do you know how many people would give anything to meet Picasso in such a way? How very fortunate! And it looks like the loveliest day in every way with wonderful camaraderie and great joy. The photos here are fantastic.

I would suggest you have someone take that Cleopatra ring to a jeweler and ask them to turn it into a pin or a pendant. Or you could frame it in a wee shadow box. It really is a treasure, especially with all the extra memories attached!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 9:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Mwah! Kiss kiss! I love these old posts and your stories. Keep going!

Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 10:22:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.