Wednesday, January 13, 2010
on the eve of....part 3

And so, here are some of the "gifts" that were part of The Game. There are two parts to this game....Both parts are played with dice. In the first part, if you get a "7" or an "11" you can open a gift and then roll again--and the dice go around the circle from one person to the next....When everything is finally opened, we start the timer and as we continue going around the circle if you get a "7" or an "11" you get to take any one gift you want from any of the other people, and then, you get to roll again....We play for a specific amount of time so that when 'times up' the game is over. And then, whatever you end up with---you take home!
Here above.....a few things had been opened, and Katy got these Glasses......That book on the floor---a Cookbook about Pasta----was very popular and moved around the room quite a bit during the 'timed' part of the game....the Glasses? Not so much. Below, a closer look at those Glasses...... There was quite a mixture of good things and lousy---but funny---things. And this is always the case. If memory serves, those Glasses never left Katy's side..... Maddy rolled a "7" or maybe an "11", and got to open this box that had three or four very pretty glass birds..... Then, Karen rolled a "7" and opened a rather big box, with the help of her dear husband, Garrett......Inside was this Cookie Jar, which we all laughed at quite heartily---but then......some of us promptly fell in love with it....lol! You need to see this close-up....It really is beautifully made and kind of fun, too! The bottom of the jar is supposed to be Carrots and that is a ribbon and bow around the rim....The top was like some Cabbage leaves with the 'pull' a small purple Eggplant....Just what everyone needs! In this first part of the game, the Parks Clan seemed to be getting a lot of winning numbers....our side of the room wasn't doing as well...But of course, it only really counts after everything is opened! I asked Andy to hold up this next gift that he opened....it was making a return visit to the game...... We have a two-year rule....If you win something you really can't stand, you can bring it back in two years.....(Not the next year---that would be too boring....lol). Below a closer look at this special ceramic box..... This, no doubt, will be a "collector's" item---if it isn't already....! Finally, someone on our side of the room--Mark T. got to open something and it was a doozey....A little book on doing and saying mean things to just about anyone you can think of....! If memory serves, Mark went home with this. Nobody wanted it....lol.....not even him....! By this time, The Parks side of the room had lots and lots of gift goodies....Katy had many books in front of her and everyone was watching to see what she had chosen now.....You have to put everything out in front of you so that people can kind of scope out what they might want to take from you later....... I honestly don't remember what was in that box that Katy is packing up---but you can see a lovely small tray sitting on the floor which came with a book of recipes for God knew what....Meanwhile, Maddy rolled another "7" or "11" and chose this very heavy and fairly good size box...... It was, for some reason, not an easy package to open.....And everyone waited with baited breath and anxious anticipation---you can see her Mom behind her......And Earl, Gene and Betty...all waiting to see what was in this heavy package.........And then...... Oh.....Great!!! A Jar Of Russian Pickles! Look at Maddy's Mom now....Holding her head.....lol! Then, Maddy got to roll again and she got another winning number and this time she opened this below..... She loved this gift so much that there was no way she was not going home with it. (Oh and see the Farmer's Almanac sitting there...? That was quite popular too) There were a-gazillion little squares of Make-up in that clever tiered box, and some brushes to go with them all, too....! Here is a closer look at some of those little squares..... Then, Mark rolled another winning number and he got a treasure trove of CD's. All kinds of music, including Broadway Shows and Pop, etc.....I think there were 25 CD's in all---someone did a major cleaning.....This went around the room a little bit once we started the timer part...... Then.....if memory serves....Mark rolled another 'winner' and opened this Home Made Fudge.....I tasted it and I thought it was delicious....! But, in all honesty I didn't really want anything and I think I rolled one "7" all night, which was just fine with me....lol! Everything was open and we began the 'timed' part of the game. And because it was getting close to Midnight and by tradition we go out on my deck with some Champagne and some Martinson's Sparkling Cider---(this is not a big drinking group...), where we see the New Year in, watching Fireworks all over the city.....we finished up the game about 11:55pm.....
The most popular item in the game was this, below:
We are a group of Actors and other related Show Business people, and this moved around the room more than anything else! I alreadsy had this so I didn't need a second copy.....
The least popular item was this lovely thing, below...... And dear Earl went home with this inventive broom!
And that, my dear readers, was New Years Eve. I think everyone had a really wonderful time and the icing on the cake was Betty being there.....Amen and Happy New Year!


More To Come.........

















25 Comments:
had this to say:

I just love that game. We play "Dirty Santa" which is very close and such fun. Think I may lobby for 7-11 next year.
It took several years before I could "steal" a gift from someone.
Looking forward to more.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 4:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

how fun. you sure know how to whoop it up Naomi.

I have to remember to send you a photo of Earl I took just a few weeks back in LA.

Speak soon
Rick

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 5:58:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Aww, that looked like such a fun time! We do something similar with friends and it's always a lively and funny exchange.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 6:21:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I don't know. I think I would've appreciated the pickles, actually.

Cheers.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 6:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Looks like a lot of fun, Naomi. We've bee to white elephant parties that work in a similar fashion. I once took home an orange electric wok.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 9:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I think I will suggest your dice game to my neighborhood group to do next December, instead of the one we do now. Yours sounds like more fun!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 12:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I hope Earl used the broom to sweep out the old year and welcome the new!

What fun!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 1:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

such fun!!! and so good to see Betty healing so fast! She's so incredible! And I have to say I can't see a photo of Earl with remembering that he is on the list of Tippi Hedrens Shambala Preserve! People who love animals are always nice people...and I totally loved volunteering there for the years that I could.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 1:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I would've loved to have joined in all that fun! I ALWAYS roll sevens...and I would've been happy with anything but the jar of pickles! Seriously.

I love the photos! Everyone looks like they're having a grand old time. I would try this game at home, but with my family, a few fights might break out over some of the gifts! lol

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 7:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like a fun game and reminds me of the one my family used to 'play' when they stopped giving everybody Christmas presents. Everyone brought one and it could be from previous years. Then you could take someone else's or a new unwrapped one but no dice attached. This sounds like more fun. Some things returned year after year but some (like the year I got a thunderpot that had a hole drilled to make it a planter) disappeared to never return because white elephants are all in the eye of the beholder.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 8:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi...always the wonderful hostess.
The photos depict the fun, the warmth and frivolity that prevailed among friends. A wonderful way to hearken the new year and a new decade. May you continue to have your friends close at your side.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 9:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful post, a great party (you're such a wonderful host Naomi!) and a fun game! With your story in all it's details (and yes, I have red all three of them!) and the pics, one can really tell you had a wonderful time!

We also went out at 24 to enjoy the fireworks, but you know in Norway, we shoot up our own :-)

Btw: We got a special snail mail surprise today - thanks (see our note to you about it)!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 12:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh dear Naomi,
first of all:
Thanks for what we received in the Post today. I'll reveal during the weekend on my blog.
I only say: We admire the beauty and are very humble to have received such a package in the Post.
Big hugs from Anna and me

Then:
I love this Game, which you so very well have described in words and pictures.

We don't know such a tradition here in Norway, but we have exprienced something similar in Brazil, i.e. in the village of Paraty in the Rio de Janeiro state:

On Dec 26 friends meets to give gifts and thankfulness to each other.
Each friends brings a gift. Which they keep in their hands.
But they write their name on a piece of Paper and put the paper with the name into a bowl.
It starts like this:
First name picked had to dedicate hers/his gift to one of the present friend and declare why.
Then the person that receives the first gift have to give his/hers gift to another by saying it loudly:
My X-Mas Gift this year goes to ----
If, and that happens, that one in the row of gifts are not able to decide within a short time:
Then the Gift goes to a person who's name is written on a paper in the Bowl, unless have had a gift before.
etc etc.

When the Painter artist was on tour to give away her gift, she asked me to pick up a name from the Bowl:
And the winner is: Magda.
Hurray
That was a great evening with great friends and people in Paraty.

PS. We were the only ones not in the this group of friends and the only "outsiders" invited.
We are very grateful.

btw. More about the crazy kittens posted today

Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 12:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I've played Pirate Bingo which I think is a bit like this

seems to me with this group of people anything would be fun

I caught up on all the other parts as well
so sorry about the lost post!! that's why I do everything in word and then bring it over
can't trust blogger

Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 9:27:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

These days I often go to bed before midnight on New Year's Eve but I would have stayed up for that delightful party. Good food, good talk AND presents. Who could ask for more?

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 3:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a brilliant idea! I love the game, it looks like a load of fun and much better than the boring board games we played on New Years Evening!

Not sure I would have wanted to take the broom home but the cd's would have been cool!

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 12:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, looks like a delightful New Years Eve! Oh my but in the 'pickle picture' Maddy looks a LOT like Grandma Betty! I've taken a break from blogging but i'll still swing by and comment i'm sure!

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 2:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sounds like a fun game!

And there were some interesting prizes. Gord would have loved winning the pickles. Ha!

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 5:39:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, that seems like such a fun way to spend New Year's Eve!

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 6:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

NYE always starts the year off right at your party Naomi.
:)
So glad Jeff won the Critics Choice award tonight,well deserved !! :)
Maddy is getting more and more gorgeous every time I see new pictures. Beautiful girl :)

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 10:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Fun times Naomi!! I love the look on Maddy's face holding the big jar of pickles!! There were some really nice items going around!

I really enjoyed reading this and seeing all the photos. Thank you so much dear Naomi for sharing!!

Love and hugs,
Rachel

Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 8:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What fun!!!! What prizes!!!!! What a hostess you are!!!!

Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 10:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I like this version of a kind of Dirty Santa...and what great gifts. I loved the cookie jar, and that makeup would've been too much fun! What a great night this was.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 5:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So you can open more than one present if you throw a 7 or 11 more than once?

As you may know, I got candy canes this year. They were organic! Even so no one wanted them and I never get much "play" time during our swap game because I never get anything other people want.

Also, all the bad gifts get left at our house!

Monday, January 18, 2010 at 6:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, you sure know how to make a fun and nice party!
Love all photos and really I would love to be there with you and your lovely friends.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 4:12:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.