Tuesday, April 20, 2010
ladies lunch - part 2

One of the things that is so great about this group of friends is---we never run out of things to talk about. Whether serious or funny---there is always so much to share...... And I am sure that comes from having so very many interests in common and so much shared history...... I have known Lee and Betty since 1962, having met at Theatre West and then within that first year, Betty Joyce V.P. and I did "Spoon River" and Lee was the understudy for all three of us. I met Dianne in 1967-68---at Theatre West. We worked together on Tom Skerritt's two One-Act plays..."Conversations Overheard"....I was the Producer and she was the Associate Producer---we did everything, including painting the sets! I met Mark when Dianne met Mark, in the early 1970's....And Seemah I met in 1975.....And we have all worked together, played together, been through sad times and happy times together....This day was one of the 'happy' times......And, speaking of happy times....it was now time for 'The
Cake(s)"....yes...I had two cakes! This first one above was Dianne's Birthday Cake---the fabulous Lemon Meringue that everyone loves, loves, loves........! Dianne particularly loves this cake as she is careful about eating chocolate....Then, I had an Anniversary Cake for Mark & Dianne and the candles were on that cake...... They were so cute about the candles.....35 years is a true milestone! And then....they blew out the candles! And of course, this was the Chocolate cake. I cannot have a 'Ladies Who Lunch' without a beautiful yummy Chocolate cake...... Below....A closer look at the Anniversary Cake...... Believe it or not...I have about 150 pictures of Mark & Dianne's Wedding...but, they are all slides! And I am unable to scan them in to my computer with the scanner I have.....I was hoping Mark might be able to email me a picture or two that I took of their Wedding---but what with moving and such, those pictures are in one of the many boxes that they have still not unpacked....But....here below is a picture of them (from the back) on that wonderful day.......March 25th, 1975 And, that is dear Betty and her late husband Larry Parks. This was at the reception, which was in the back yard of their house, and that is Mark in the beautiful white top and Dianne with that very sweet lace on her head.....Sadly, Larry died exactly two weeks after Mark & Dianne's Wedding..... Time to open the Gift Bags.....There were a lot of goodies in these bags.....And here below, the sweet soft plush Duck....... There were a few smiley-face things---that Orange Ball---something to exercise your fingers by squeezing. Those of us of a certain age need stuff like this.....lol. There were a few Smiley-Face stampers and there were a number of other things too....A Heart shaped Pencil Sharpener and some Hershey's Chocolates..... There were some very big flashy rings....A colorful bracelet over on the left--still unopened....A really nice small Kaleidoscope, and a Key Ring with a lip shaped thingy of Lip Gloss attached, which Dianne said was really nice! Also, a deck of round cards that looked like a Beach Ball.....And of course more of those little Hershey's Chocolates.
Stay Tuned for Part 3......

More To Come........












21 Comments:
had this to say:

goodness! I didn't go visiting blogs over the weekend and look what I found!!! I almost missed a Ladies Who Lunch!!.. with a man no less!! as always I enjoy your monologue and love love love your pictures!! you have captured so much of your life in photo's!! It's so much fun to read your blog Naomi!

I can already see that Diane had a wonderful birthday (Happy Birthday!) and got to celebrate their 35th Anniversary with such good friends!..

looking forward to even more story and photo's!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 3:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely couple and such a long time to remain married in todays world.
That picture of Betty and Larry was sad, knowing what happened weeks later.
Love your suprise bags. Such fun.
You do throw the best parties.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 4:34:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I guess back in the day "producing" a play really meant producing.

The test of true friendship is never running out of things to discuss/laugh about/cry over. Those are the people are very, very valuable.

Cheers.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 5:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You all sure know how to play ...and eat! My birthday is coming up and I'm already thinking about my chef made carrot cake.

I'd love to see more old photos.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 6:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, your ladies lunch are always wonderful!
Congratulations again to the lovely couple Dianne and Mark.
Sure, 35 years is a true milestone!

Lemon Meringue and Chocolate Cake looks delicious. The Gift Bags are always an amazing surprise.
Really I would love to be there with you!

Have a nice week ahead.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 6:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That lemon meringue cake looks fabulous! I love the contrast between lemon and chocolate.
Thanks for more pictures.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:06:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Again, a wonderful (double!) celebration and happy shots, love them!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi....would I be invited to Ladies Lunch if ever I visit yo u& Seemah :D How wonderful just to be part of this celebration via your blog and I'm sure all the lovely goodies will all be treasured!!!

Cakes!!! Lemon or Chocolate I'll eat them all too hehehehhe....

What great friendship there after all these years :D

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful group you and your friends are!!!!! I love these posts!!!!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 4:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another fun party!! Isn't it wonderful to have such dear old friends close enough to come by so often!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 4:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've dreamed about that lemon cake. Holy cow, it is good!

I love that you let us peek in the goody bags!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 8:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just delightful. Friends are the best. Tom is a wonderful person and so talented. I'm glad he loves Seattle---we have great theatre here. I swear you ladies look younger each lunch. Oh, the slides, we have so many..darn technology.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 8:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love your stories... You and the ladies are lucky to get together so much and just have fun together.... Keep it up.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 12:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I want to attend one of your lunches...just so I can eat chocolate cake and have fun with my goodie bag! :) I love the bracelet and all the toys...and lipgloss...wow! How Vogue! ;)

I didn't realize you ladies went that far back...to the 60s and 70s! Amazing, and even more amazing is that you've all remained such good friends! You are all an inspiration! I should link you to my latest post!! :)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 12:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

OK, I confess - since we spell our names the same way I made believe Dianne's gift bag was really for me ;)

some people have lunch, some people do lunch
and then you - you celebrate lunch!

I love the photos
it's wonderful to see Lee and Betty - women I have admired and been impressed with on TV or in movies - in a casual and personal setting
makes me feel a wee bit famous :)

wonderful wonderful parts 1 and 2

Happy Birthday Dianne
Happy Anniversary Dianne and Mark

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 4:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The Lemon Meringue is my first choice as well.
The photos of the two beeing married for 35 years is fascinating. They looks so young when they are blowing out the candle.
By the way, I found: How to blow out candles step by step (funny i think): http://www.wikihow.com/Blow-Out-Candles

Do you know why we blow out the Birthday candles?
"We blow candles every year when we celebrate our birthday. When we blow out our candles we are following actually a tradition or custom created by the ancient Greeks. In the Greek tradition on the sixth day of every month, the birthday of Goddess of the hunt is celebrated. The ancient Greek in her honour made a honey cake which is topped with burning candles. As they blow out each candle, the people make a wish from Goddess for a present. In the same way as we blow each candle on our birthday it means that we believed that all of our wishes will be granted".

So, this is without doubt a very old tradtion.

I'll stay tuned for the end of this wonderful event.

btw. Thanks for your nice comments when I've been more or less absent from blogging.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 10:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi those Ladies Who Lunch are great memories.. I love hearing about them.. Thanks for sharing and I had tears in my eyes this time around. Realizing my hubby and I have been together 14 years in June and married 4 June 2nd.. Amazing huh??LOL..

Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 12:21:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh my what beautiful cakes you guys had. The goodies are awesome and it seems you guys really had a blast! Awesome!

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 1:40:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It must be great to have such a lovely double celebration with friends with whom you have a shared history. And two luscious cakes - Heaven!

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 7:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those cakes look delicious, especially the chocolate. You know how I am about chocolate!

The company looks divine... friends usually are. :)

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 8:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely couple, and I'm sure they had a great time visiting with everyone and enjoying those delicious cakes!! I would love to "taste test" both of them!!! (the cakes I mean!) :)

Your lunches are such fun!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 7:27:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.