Tuesday, July 27, 2010
a sweet movie

"I'm a sentimental sap, that's all.....", as the song line goes....The point is, I just saw "Valentine's Day", and I enjoyed it so very much. I like Garry Marshall films. I like that he uses many of the same actors all the time, along with people he hasn't used before---they are all terrific talents and always serve him well....I like some of the inside humor---in this case the film takes place in Los Angeles and once again, as he did in "Pretty Woman", the Beverly Wilshire Hotel is featured somewhat, though it has been completely renovated since 'Pretty Woman'. Part of his Repertory Company are actors Hector Elizondro and Larry Miller.....Both were in 'Pretty Woman' and both were in "The Princess Diaries" as was Anne Hathaway Here above with Queen Latifah......And of course, the always wonderful Julia Roberts is in this film too, as she was in 'Pretty Woman'.Even Garry Marshall, himself, appears in this film, as a Violinist---he has no lines and appears very briefly, but he is there as he usually is in just about every one of his films....And his wife is in the film too, playing a small role...plus a lot of other Marshall's----I like that, too......The film itself has lots of other actors in it----all doing their bit to make this an entertaining and very sweet film. Julia Roberts actually made me cry....And I never saw it coming...call me stupid, call me sentimental....I had a good time! And sometimes, that is all I want from a film. Oh yes, and both 'McDreamy' and 'McSteamy' (at least I think those are their names) are in the film.....Jennifer Garner and the two 'Jessica's'...Beal and Alba; Julia R.'s niece Emma is in the film, too....And the always wonderful Shirley MacLaine.....And there is Ashton Kutcher and George Lopez and Topher Grace and Jamie Foxx....and Queen Latifah, who really doesn't have very much to do but is always a presence. Oh yes...and the two 'Taylors', as well---Swift and Lautner, playing girlfriend and boyfriend....Kathy Bates---someone else who has little to do, but brings a certain solidness to whatever she does......Joe Montagne makes an uncredited appearance in one little quick moment---and he too is always good....Oh dear, who am I leaving out......Oh, and there is this adorable little boy, Bryce Robinson, who you just want to hug and hug and then, hug some more......And Bradley Cooper, (up above with Julia Roberts..) who is always good in whatever he does! It's all about Love--all kinds of love---and Friendship and it is funny and sweet and has something to say, too. Frankly, I think it got a bad rap from the "critics"...If no one gets chased or shot or bleeds, these days, the critics are so damn cynical---they don't seem to care about a simple film like this...Well, I think they are Sooooo wrong! If you haven't seen it--it's worth renting. No, it won't win any Awards and it may seem sappy to a lot of people...but I had a wonderful time and I was so glad I rented it. Do be sure to watch all the way through to the credits---there is one little "bit" with the ever wonderful 'Julia' that truly had me laughing out loud! Now how bad could that be? It's called "entertainment".....and it truly was entertaining to me....And here below, three lovely women at the 'Opening'---two of whom are Oscar winners, as are Jamie Foxx and Kathy Bates.....And you know What? I watched this film twice! And I could watch it again......Like I said.....'I'm a sentimental sap, that's all.........'


More To Come.........

Note: I got my computer back late today.....And it has been overhauled and updated and I am so happy to have it back.....Hooray for 'The Computer Wizard'.........







24 Comments:
had this to say:

Glad you got your computer back!!

I have to say I hated this film! :D But I'm so glad you loved it!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 2:02:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for the review. I'm saving this one for one of those "I'm In The Doghouse With The EMBLOS" evenings.

Cheers.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 4:32:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I simply loved, loved this movie, Naomi!! I went to see it the very first day it started showing in Spain !
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So glad your computer is back. Hope the withdrawal wasn't too bad. We missed you though.
The critics were rough on it but I really enjoyed it. Glad you did too.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 10:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My husband watched this film WHILE I WAS SLEEPING!!!! THEN he RETURNED IT TO NETFLIX!!!!

After your review, I'm going to have to try watching it online or possibly re-renting it. I love all these actors and Julia Roberts is good in just about everything she gets her hands on.

Btw, I'm so glad to hear you have your computer back. I DID get your e-mail (you had sent it to my old e-mail address...the one I rarely check, so I got it late). I loved you in the blue jumpsuit. It was a black and white photo w/ Picasso in it, of all people. What a beautiful shot! Thanks for sharing. I may try to find an outfit like that to wear for the "Saturday Night Fever" retro movie/dance party next month! Thanks for the inspiration.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 6:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I haven't seen this film, but on your recommendation, I think I'll have to watch it. I have always liked Queen Latifah, but you say she has a very small role in this film.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 7:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I also enjoyed this film especially some of the delightful surprises. It's one that there might be more someday in a director's cut that would make it even better. I didn't like it quite as well as He's Just Not that Into you because I loved Justin Long in it, but this was an enjoyable film and fun. I am becoming a fan of Bradley Cooper and he was in both.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 7:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I watched it three times, cried evey time, AND I PAID for it on Comcast, even though I pay for Netflix---just couldn't wait. So many of my favorite actors, Kathy Bates, Shirley McClain, any movie they are in I'm checking out. I am a proud uncurable romantic.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 9:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I still need to watch that film. It was on one of the channels on my flight to Dubai, but I was tired so I slept through it. I do want to see it though.

Glad you have your computer back. I;m in London now.Speak soon

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 2:15:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Your word is good enough for me and I shall look out for it. He must be a highly respected director to get all those names to do tiny parts - always a good sign.
Critics schmitics! What do they know about the price of fish?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 2:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've never seen this movie, but looks like one to rent. I'll probably watch it with my daughter. Perfect summer fare!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm going to rent it pronto! I'm so happy to see Shirley McClaine is in it as well as others. It sounds like a movie I would like. xo

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 6:56:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Yeah! I'm so glad you got your computer back! I missed you! I love good, simple movies sometimes too. I meant to see this one when it was in the theatre, but didn't make it. I'm going to put it on Netflix right now.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 12:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have to admit that I enjoyed it, too, even though I'm not a huge Ashton Kutcher fan. Fun fluff and I didn't see the end coming, either! But what I really want to comment is that picture of the stars at the opening. Wow, that photo of Shirley MacLaine could practically be a still from her appearance in "The Apartment" 50 years ago. Do you think she's been under the knife or did she just have a great make-up artist that day? Of course her genes and her lifestyle seem to be excellent, too!

P.S. That program IS in the mail--I dropped it at the post office yesterday (gulp!).

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 1:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You're back woo hoo! This film looks good and I am an unashamed sap too! Will definitely go and see it.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 8:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sentimental?
A good film should touch your inner feelings. Engage.
If not, it's like junk food.
Right?

I'm not afraid to admit I show feelings when seeing great movie scenes.
The first time I cried was when I saw Bambi - the scene when Bambi realized her Mother has died during the Forest Fire. I was inconsorable. Whatever my Parents tried to say and gave me sweeties. It was so unjustice.....

btw. I'm partly back again after 5 days summer cold - fever and &&%#%, Sleeping and some minutes awake and then back to sleep - Now I feel like I have a jet-lag. What time of day is it?
Not so strange, due to the very light summer nights we have here up North..
But Monday - back to work again.

hugs
Tor

and thanks for sharing all your great memories.

ps.Yes, Julia Roberts was really great in Pretty Woman and the song... woooow

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 8:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wow.. excellent line up! I can see where this is a good movie before I even see it! it is on my list of movies to watch!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 3:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I seldom see movies any more, but I will try to find that one, on your recommendation. It sounds right up my alley! I admit to being very sentimental about movies.

I need a computer wizard here!! Mine is getting worse everyday, and still, I try.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 4:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I am glad you got your computer! It's too bad don't have a computer ok. I can't live without my pc... LOL!

I saw this movie last week and I like it too!

Have a nice day!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 8:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So good to see you back!!

I need a "feel good" film and this looks as if it will do the trick.

You sound like me with "Crazy Heart" -- I think I've seen it five times!!!!!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 10:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sure I'd love this film, well I better as I have a copy of it on my 'films to watch pile'.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 10:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for the recommendation! It is now next in my Netflix queue.

Sunday, August 1, 2010 at 12:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This was a very good review. I will watch this movie now. Thanks.

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 6:37:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I haven't seen that movie yet but I always wanted to see it!
I'm definitely gonna buy a DVD copy of this movie!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 3:49:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.