Saturday, September 11, 2010
hollywood oddities

I thought this was one of those "Only In Hollywood" things that one sees......It turns out it has something to do with a movie.....Well, still.....only in Hollywood......Another oddity......I thought this was a very clever way to make the side of a boring building, more interesting.....The boring side faces Hollywood Boulevard near Vine street, and it used to be just this empty uninteresting nothing-side-of-a-building. Now, well....it has 'character'......I think it is fun. Sorry that tree is in the way...It couldn't be helped. I love that it is supposed to be a Theatre Curtain.....! It is hard to explain what this next oddity is...... These things are out in front of what may or may not be part of The W Hotel And Condos---on the Vine Street side of Hollywood & Vine. This is all part of the upgrading of Hollywood. This huge complex was built at Hollywood & Vine---going through to the next street going east.....These strange columns are out in front of the Vine Street side and the flower thingy's are in constant movement....Here is a little short Video, showing the actual movement of these flowers.....I am not sure I would say it was "pretty", but it is kind of interesting. I must say, I sometimes wonder about the taste of some of what is passed off as Sculpture, in Hollywood...... Personally, I think this is a truly horrible display. It stand on the corner of La Brea Ave., and Hollywood Blvd. It depicts four movie Queens, though in all honesty you really cannot tell who they are.... People stop and take pictures of this monstrosity----and sometimes some people are seen doing lewd things to these women....(help!!)...I think it is so cheap and un-classy looking. And it is located where the "Hollywood" part of Hollywood Boulevard starts....It is sometimes called the Gateway to Hollywood....Trust me, you cannot tell who these four women are, or that, in fact, these four silver statues are Mae West, Dorothy Dandridge, Anna May Wong and Dolores Del Rio.....names which many of you may have never even heard of or even know about. They all look pretty much alike, which they didn't--in life---and I just never "got" the beauty of this Sculptural monstrosity, at all. Personally, I think the whole think is pretty ugly, and as I said, really cheap looking. So much for The Gateway to Hollywood....lol Above, this is "Linda", and what she is doing you truly DO only see in Hollywood.....Maps to The Stars Homes. Linda is the third generation seller of "Maps To The Stars Homes". Her Grandmother started this business and that is her Grandmother's picture on the front of the Map.....Linda's "corner" is Carolwood and Sunset Blvd, Holmby Hills---In between Beverly Hills and Bel Air----Any day of the week you will find her there....There is another Map seller further West on Sunset Blvd., at Mapleton and Sunset on the South side of the street.....(Linda is on the North side). I love his hat....It protects him from the sun and it is very patriotic, too.....His Map is $10 bucks.....Linda's Map is $22.
I'm not exactly sure why, but.....that is the way it is. I bought my very first "Map To The Stars Homes" in 1947.....I think it was $3. This man is a very sweet guy.....Not an easy way to earn a living, let me tell you. And the terrible thing is, the Maps are often inaccurate and out of date and hard to read...... But it can be a really fun way to spend an afternoon---Exploring the Hills of Beverly and Bel Air and Hollywood, too......These are just some of the Oddities of Hollywood. There will be others, I promise.......



More To Come........

Note: Today is the Anniversary of 9/11 and I didn't want this day to go by without saying 'we will never forget all those who were lost so tragically'. We send Blessings to all their loved ones on this 9th Anniversary.









22 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Just dropped in to see what you have been up to.
I would dearly love to explore the hills of Beverly, Bel air and Holly wood with - ideally - you as guide. Maybe in the next life:)
I think the floating flowers would make me dizzy and I agree with you about the 'Queens'.
Dolores del Rio was so beautiful.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 3:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I really had to laugh out loud at the billboard. I thought it was an enterprising young man or woman drumming up business but it makes sense it is movie related.
The four ladies at least encompassed a varitey of races and yes I have heard of them all.
Thanks again for a trip I can never make in person. You are a good tour guide.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 3:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't say I like those female statues very much either !

One odditie you missed was "star polishers" (which I was one of lol) Although we (another lady and I) did it very early on a weekend morning, of the few that drove or walked past us ..many took photo's. I remember once a Limo pulled up by us and we looked at each other wondering "utoh, now what?".. the top of the car opened and an oriental man stood out of it and began taking our picture! LOL... Hollywood certainly has it's share of "characters" ! haha

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 4:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't really like the 4 queens either. Does look tacky

I love Linda and the guy with the hat

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 9:18:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love the dressed up pink building it does give character. Your right the statues of the ladies are terrible it always amazes me as to what some believe equate to art.

I've been thinking about 9.11 as well, it's still hard to believe.

Nice post.

Dorothy from grammology

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 10:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I especially enjoyed the first and second photos and they go well together. I wonder if I'll ever buy a star map. It's a fantasy of mine to visit Hollywood but never seem to make any effort to go all that way just to see movie sights and stars.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 10:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love to see "dressed up" buildings, but have only seen them in photos. Yours was great! As for the 4 stars - they are tacky and I couldn't tell one from the other. I recognized only 2 of the names. I suppose to the stars it was a great homage....

Nancy in Iowa

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 11:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those oddities are pretty cool.. thanks for sharing your California life..Its a beautiful place but I dont think I could live there.. to many people..

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 12:01:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I can't help, but laugh when I saw the first picture. Hmmm that really gives me an idea. I should print some of my t-shirts with that sign. Hhahaha

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 2:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It had crossed my mind to go to Hollywood, in my younger days, and I NEVER would have bought a map to homes of stars. It feels intrusive to me. They are not zoo animals. That sclupture, hmm, well, art, to each his own.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 6:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great post!!! I really loved it.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 8:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Can I just say you have a great talking voice. :) Deep and tuneful and very expressive.

I really hate the Sculpture too! Are the women carrying the top part on their heads??

I love the painting on the side of the building, that is very clever.

Maybe someone should sell a new and updated map, I bet that would do well. Are you on it?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 11:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The "curtain" on the building made me smile. Too bad those statues of movie queens can't just come to life one night and walk off into the forest...

Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 8:40:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I really like the flowers in front of that building. I think it's interesting. As for the statue of the Hollywood stars, from a distance it looks Art Deco and kinda cool, up close, I don't like the look of the metal the women are sculpted out of. It looks a little creepy, don't know why.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 9:46:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Speaking of your first photo, I had a college buddy who printed up business cards with the title . . . well, I probably shouldn't type the whole think but his title was two words, the last of which was "reprogrammer."

Cheers, dear. I need to catch up.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 12:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've been to LA twice and have never visited Beverly Hills :*( So I must be an 'odd' tourist heheheheh...never mind, it just means that I'll have some place to visit if ever I travel to US again :D

Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I like the flowered columns in motion, Naomi! Very interesting to see in person, I bet.

I agree with you about the silver statuary.

Monday, September 13, 2010 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love it when you show us around town! All the good inside stuff a tourist would never catch on their own. The first sign cracked me up. Hope you and Sweetie are both feeling much much better.

Monday, September 13, 2010 at 12:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
I would love to be there and explore LA with you!
Really the building with the
flowers in constant movement is curious. Thanks for sharing this tour and the video too!

About September 11, the World will never forget! As I told you by e-mail, here in Brazil we see many documentaries on TV about this ominous attack...

Thanks for your nice words on my current post. Phivos Nicolaides has a blog with many photos of Cyprus and other countries too.

Have a nice day with your lovely Sweetie!

Monday, September 13, 2010 at 5:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I do love the building with the curtain but the monstrosity, as you call it, is a bit gawdy, isn't it? Not the best tribute to these actresses, but interesting nevertheless, like those moving flowers (your eyes are drawn to them but more out of wonder).

I've always wondered what the map to the stars homes looked like. It's interesting as well. We should sell something like this around Miami's Star Island (across from the port). I know Julio Iglesias, Gloria Estefan, Barry Gibb and a few others live or have lived there but I only know Julio Iglesias house on the corner.

I'd love to see more of Hollywood and learn more facts about your city, my friend. I'll be back.

Hope all's well with you. It's been a while since we spoke. Feel free to call me anytime. Hugs to you and Sweetie! xo

PS - Life's been hectic with travel hockey, my new job at the ALF and my third dose of antibiotics, but I'm finally getting it all together.

Monday, September 13, 2010 at 7:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You've got me whooping with laughter at those signs. I'm still trying to figure out what kinda "help" virgins are going to get. Oh yeah, and when I next come into L.A. I only want a map for the "hot" stars. Are you one???

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 9:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As I said on the previous post - you live in a fascinating town. That first billboard certainly gets your attention - I would like to know what kind fo reaction they got to it, he he. The flowers? Spellbinding.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 12:03:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.