Thursday, September 23, 2010
more about gordon

Here is my dear brother at about a year old....Isn't he cute? I am continuing my Birthday Post Tribute to Gordon...hoping my Modem is working right now.....We'll See! Anyway......this picture above was taken, I believe, in Florida, in 1930......Below, Florida again, but a few years later........Gordon is the second from the right---there in the forefront, or one could say, in the middle in the forefront....I believe this was at the Lear School in Miami Beach......And below....Gordon and me. Around 1934-35.....Weren't we cute? I know I have posted this picture before. But....many of you may not have seen it........I have always loved this picture. Gordon is two years older than me, and always acted as my protector when we were young. It made us very close and we still are...... Here we are....the four siblings. Me, far left. My oldest sister Robin, who was eight years older than me and who died in February, 2005. Next sister, Gene, who will turn 84 in October, and Gordon, who, as I said, is two years older than me. Losing Robin was a hole that has never been filled nor will it ever be---I know Gordon feels the same way....Robin was the "unconditional love" giver for me and for Gordon too. I'm not sure if Gene feels that way, but I know both Gordon and I do. When I look at a picture like the one above and this one below, I think how young we all were and how everything was 'ahead'. And now, here we are---I'm almost 80 years old...(WHAT?????), and Gordon is 81 and Gene will be 84! How the hell did that happen? Here are the four of us on a funny little balcony that was outside my mother's bedroom in the house in Great Neck, where we all grew up and where my mother lived for 40 years until she died in April, 1966. My parents bought that house in 1926. That is Robin, Gordon, me, and Gene.... This picture above was taken, I think, at Christmas time, 1960. Gordon, Gene, Daddy Joe, and me. I'm not sure why Robin isn't in this picture, but it may be that Robin and Bobby hadn't arrived yet....This was at Daddy Joe's house in Greenwich, Conn. Soon after this---on February 1st, 1961---I moved to Los Angeles. I've written before how Gordon has always loved being out on the water---even as a tiny little boy. He made himself a 'pretend' boat out of a big cardboard box---it sank, of course, but soon after that he had a little dingy....And he has always had a small boat, ever since....Below, me on Gordon's Boat....One of my favorite pictures, taken by Gordon.....In the late 1950's, we used to go from Long Island Sound in Port Washington where Gordon kept his boat, to the East River and and then around the bottom of Manhattan and up The Hudson and then back to Port Washington...... It was pretty daunting going around The Battery, etc....The currents were pretty rough and Gordon's boat was very small...But, we always got through it and then, it was smooth sailing going up The Hudson.....Below...one of my very favorite pictures of Gordon, much later....At The Marina where he kept his boat in Connecticut....... This was taken sometime in the late '90's or early 2000's......Gordon still loves the water, and even though he has very limited mobility he doesn't let that stop him....Being out on the water is healing to him--it's like a deep meditation and something he needs as much as he needs air to breathe..... Gene, Robin and Gordon, at Gordon's 75th Birthday Party....I wasn't able to be there---my Health problems already prohibiting my getting on a plane and traveling, etc.....His party was in Connecticut, of course.....
Below......One last picture that is a favorite of mine---Gordon must have been Eleven, maybe.....Such a sweet face...... So....a very Happy Birthday, dear dear brother.....And I pray you will have oodles and oodles more, my dear Gorga.......




More To Come........





Note: Hooray! My Modem problems are finally solved and so here above is the Birthday Post I wanted to write....







22 Comments:
had this to say:

I REALLY enjoyed those pictures and commentary. What a handsome boy and man Gordon is, and brave to have survived 3 sisters.
Loved that picture of you on the boat looking intent and of him in the yellow slicker on the pier.
I do hope he got to enjoy the water on his birthday.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 4:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love your family posts and I never tire of looking at older photos. I love the one of you and Gordon as children. I always wanted an older brother (protector), and I think you're lucky to have him!

Port Washington was the site of a restaurant I went to with mr. kenju's family back in 1964. I think I told you about it.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 5:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

your photo's always say so much! I hope your brother had a most marvelous Birthday!!! :o)

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 5:32:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These posts are always so much fun. That portrait of you on the boat is indeed a good one. I especially like the black and white.

Cheers.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a handsome boy and man~and a sailor, oo-la-la!! That IS a wonderful photo of you.

How did we eve survive without computers? HA! When we were young and healthy, we were way too busy. Now...almost a must-have. Glad you are up and running.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What great photos, Naomi! I love the one of you on the boat, and the one's of the rest of your family,too. Photos are precious. Thanks so much for posting them.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 7:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

you have the most wonderful expression on your face in the shot where you're all sitting
and the balcony shot is so fantastic

Gordon was a beautiful baby
and he's a fine looking man

beauty clearly runs in the family

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 6:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It warms my soul to see how you write about your brother. I wish I could capture your family spirit in a bottle, Naomi.

The way you describe his boating is so vivid that I can practically feel what it's like to be onboard with you both.

Always a delight to e-see you!

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 11:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

*sigh* i so love learning your story especially through the photographs. i could look through them all day long! i'm sorry to hear about your sister. and it warms my heart that you and gordon are so close to this day! i wish the same for my own children! happy birthday to gordon! :)

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, I loved reading about your dear brother Gordon. It is amazing how we are younger and then it seems suddenly we are older, and how does that happen?? :) Time just passes so quickly.

I loved both posts and all the photos. I hope he had a wonderful birthday!!

Hope you and Sweetie are doing well. xxoxx

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 1:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A wonderful post! :)

It's my brother's birthday soon too!

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 2:46:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I have a soft spot for Gordon because he has the great good taste to be older then me - (6 months but who's counting?)
It must have been so exciting sailing in Long Island Sound and a bit scary. My sister's last house overlooked the Hudson. Now she has joined her son in Thailand.
Like you it is almost impossible for both MTL and I to meet up with our siblings. His brother is in New York State and just had surgery. Shame.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 12:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I had no idea about your brother and sisters. It's so great to see these wonderful family shots and you look so close.

Where do the years go?

I hope Gordon had a wonderful birthday and it makes me sad that your health issues force you to miss out on social events.

I'm so glad you have this blog so we can all join in and celebrate online!

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 7:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have a very special family and I loved all the photo's of you all when you were very young till now. I wish I would have grown up with my half siblings.. but I didnt and we are making the most of it now with my dad. We are going to go spend his b-day with him Oct 16th.. Cant wait..

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 8:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your photos are delightful! I enjoy traveling with you down your familial memory lane. Thanks!

Nancy in Iowa

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 11:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

A beautiful post among beautiful posts. Yours has been a life well-lived. I pray you know how much your readers appreciate the window into your family.
You are right about the wind in the face. It is magic for the soul.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 10:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well I am back from all my trips and am catching up with my favorite blogs. On the flight back from Norway there was a choice of several films. I choose Valentine’s Day because of your recommendation and liked it a lot. I enjoyed going back through all your posts. Gordon is a handsome man and you are so fortunate to have brothers and sisters. I loved the pictures of your childhood. It seems that time goes so quickly – a day is done, a week, a month and it keeps running. This is why we travel a lot now while we can, as who knows when we will have to stop. I enjoyed all your pictures.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful photos! What a bunch of beautiful children you guys were. Gordon was a handsome young man and still is! Awesome!

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm always very touched looking at your old photos. Gordon was handsome then and now. I love you cat's eyes glasses and pensive look.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That last picture is Matinee Idol, for sure. Lovely eyes.

Your whole blog is a visual delight.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 2:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
Love this post about your dear brother Gordon! It's wonderful that you have so many photos of your childhood and of your youth too. I enjoy seeing all photos, but the photo of you both (around 1934-35) and the photo of "the four siblings" are specially lovely!
Gordon is really very handsome!
Thanks for sharing this wonderful post!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 7:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How heartwarming that you have such a great relationship with your brother. I have seen you write about him before and it always gives me pleasure to hear how your family was and the love you shared even when some of that family life wasn't the image we have of perfect. It was the image of love as it really is.

Friday, October 1, 2010 at 3:41:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.