Tuesday, April 19, 2011
nature's miracle

I'm excited! This "stalk" that looks like an Asparagus has me very excited! Why, you might ask? Well, I'll tell you why.....Better yet, I will show you why.....! In December of 2006, two of my Green Agave's began getting a little something in the center......I knew, from experience, that this meant the plant was going to flower. By the time I took notice of the 'asparagus' looking stalk below....it had been growing for probably two months...... Believe it or not...these stalks can and do get very very tall.....In the picture at the top of this post, taken on April 15th, it has been growing since December, 2010.....So, it is still very young and relatively small....But, as in the picture below of one of these stalks back in 2007....you can see it will get pretty tall......And then, as time goes on, eventually, these "pods" began to show up on the upper sides and the top---and at a certain point, it will look like this, below...... It is fantastic how tall these Flower Stalks can and will get to be......And when the flowers start to appear...Well, it is downright thrilling! In fact, I would have to say it is Miraculous....! These flowers pods are so lush and beautiful in color and in nectar, too----they attract all kinds of birds-----but most especially, they attract Hummingbirds. Lots and lots and lots of Hummingbirds...... This is what I have to look forward to in just a few months and I am excited to think that I will have hundreds of Hummingbirds visiting me.....To see more Hummingbirds in one afternoon than I have seen for all the years of my life before this Agave Flowered---what a great gift from Nature to me.....Here below is a closer look at the kind of Agave that is on the way to flowering this summer---hopefully in time for my birthday at the end of June. I couldn't ask for a greater gift, believe me.........Such a beautiful plant.....So.....can you see why I am excited? This is like a great great 'show' that nature is providing for me....And though I am unable to go down into my garden now---I can see this fantastic show from my deck....! Here below, another view of the new stalk showing where it is right now......But it will be getting bigger and bigger as time goes on........ Above.....February 10th, 2011......And below.....April 16th, 2011...... It grows slowly, but surely. Right now it is hard to believe that in a few short months, it will turn into this, below....... But it will, I'm happy to say........











More To Come............



Note: "Vagabonde", a lovely and talented blogger that I met recently 'In person', has written a post about me! To say I am flattered, is to put it mildly. There will be a part two, as well.....so, if you get a chance, drop by her blog and while you are there, do read her very fascinating posts about her many many travels. Her pictures are superb and her research on every place she visits is incredible---I have learned so much about so very may places from this amazing women.....Enjoy!







28 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Only the other day - when I was taking photos in the garden - I thought it's been a while since we saw Naomi's garden. Must be telepathy. Thanks for that.
I'm watching new lily bulbs with the same eager anticipation:)
Just visited Vagabond to read her two posts on you and she has done a great job. I'm so glad you managed to see her even though it was a very sad time for you.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 3:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your hummingbird photos are amazing! We don't grow many varieties of the agave plant in our zone and I don't think I've ever seen one blooming. Looks like you've got a great show to look forward to.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 3:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wow fascinating! do you know how often they bloom like that???

I love the photo when it's in bloom.. it look like a mini tree! Ohhhhhh and all the hummingbirds! I can't wait for them to be there! I do miss them..they seemed to plentiful in the Valley when I lived there. I absolutely love the little critters!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 3:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Your garden is gorgeous, Naomi! I agree with you, these stalks can and do get very tall!
It's great that you have many photos of it.
The view you have to the city is stunning!
Did I told you that I would love to be there with you? Lol!
(((Many hugs)))

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 5:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well i can see why you're excited about the giant asparagus!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 10:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can see why you are so excited! It is beautiful and all those hummingbirds... what a treat! Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 5:48:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for the desert botany/ecology lesson. Do they bloom annually once they mature, or does that happen infrequently based on the amount and timing of moisture.

See, you've made me curious now!

Cheers.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love it!! I was trying to take some shots of a humming bird in AZ but I couldn't capture it well, but you have! We don't get them here in the UK.

I love all your decking!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 3:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The only agave I have seen is nectar in a bottle! What a treat to see the plant. How amazing to be able to see all of the hummingbirds. Will you continue to post photos of it as it grows?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 12:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I would love to sit with you watching HUNDREDs of hummingbirds! How exciting...I love that plant!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 12:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So luscious. LOVE hummingirds, will get some here on our patio garden, but not hundreds---I can't imagine how glorious THAT will be.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 10:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember the last agave flowering. What a wonderful bounty being served in your garden. I do hope it flowers in time for your birthday and you get lots of humming bird and bee visitors to your garden.

I am so sorry I haven't been by lately. Life has been difficult for me. I haven't really blogged about it, but my boss has been causing me so much stress that I have been feeling so poorly and tired. I have also made the hard decision to end my blog. It seemed like a natural place to stop as I have moved on from where I was when I started it. I will be visiting special bloggers like you though and I will be starting a photography blog. It would be an honour to have you visit when I have it up and running. Much hugs to you and purrs to Sweetie!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 2:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i read her post -wonderful. I'll be back to read your blog.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 8:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i'm going to enjoy coming back to read more. I love cactus...I just had one bloom several months ago and the hummingbirds loved it.

I'm in Alta Loma, Inland Empire...

wonderful blog you have.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely post as ever Naomi :)

PS, this is my new blog now so not much of a gap at all, and as you can see I have not been lost to Facebook, I just moved addresses, LoL!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 11:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I now can't wait, too! I love how everything is related -- the flowers, the hummingbirds, it's just a wonderful thing!

You have some night blooming cacti, too, don't you? What month do those bloom?

I love spring. Love spring. :)

Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 6:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I remember the posts from when it flowered before and I look forward to seeing the pix of the new blooms and the hummers it will attract!

Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 8:33:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just popping in to wish you a lovely holiday weekend, dear.

Cheers.

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 6:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How the hummers must love your plant. Has to be so much better than the sugar water they get from me. They are such fun to watch.
Hope you get some more pictures.

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 7:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad nature has the ability to uplift us so. Looks like you're going to have a front row seat to a hummingbird paradise!

Going to check out the post link...

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 10:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, I can see why you're excited! I don't think I've ever seen one of those before, so thanks for sharing these photos with us :)

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 12:33:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your excitement is contagious. Did you know the agave's pups are exact clones of the parent plant, as opposed to the offspring born from the seeds of the inflorescence.

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 12:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wow an amazing life you live out there in the warmer weather.. its a beautiful tree and again I cant wait to see photo's of it with many of your little birdies near or on it.. Have a wonderful Easter my friend and enjoy your weekend.

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Architectural spledor in a growing plant. Absolutely awe inspiring. Can't wait to see the photos you take. Thank you for caring enough to share!

Friday, April 22, 2011 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Kevin R.
had this to say:

Now that I live in a condo, I so miss gardening. I miss that wonderful feeling of the first spring day when I could start planting in my yard. I miss the satisfaction of planting something and nurturing it until it becomes full-grown. It gives one such a sense of pride and accomplishment.
There was one tree I planted 20 years ago,it wasn't doing well and I had to give it much tender care. The tree now covers that entire yard. Sometimes I go back to look and see how it is doing--it still gives me a sense of pride when I see what that tree has become.
Kevin

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 6:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Vagabonde's posts were great!

I love when hummingbirds come to visit. I rarely see them in Florida though.

I'm going to get back to blogging soon...my sister came to visit and I've been super tired all of the time.

Hugs to you.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Nature truly is amazing!! I always love reading about the plants in your garden. It does certainly remind one of asparagus!!

The hummingbirds are so pretty! I think if I were a hummer I'd want to live in your garden year round!

Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That's a lovely plant and I can see why you're excited about the blossoms.

I'm not sure if I've missed something lately...I'm sorry you're not well. I do hope you'll be better, soon.

Also, I see someone mentioned that you have a birthday coming up...when is it? I want to be sure to wish you a happy day.

Friday, April 29, 2011 at 11:30:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.