Saturday, June 11, 2011
back alley

In the "flats" of Beverly Hills, the houses are big and sometimes bigger than big. And behind these houses---right in the middle between the streets---There is a rather wide alley. That alley is where the houses of the "flats" of Beverly Hills keep their Garbage Cans....And they have these huge Garbage Cans, and usually, as you can see, they have these HUGE Trees in the back of each property, facing the alley on both sides, for privacy....There is something about these alleys that fascinates me......! Maybe it is related to the film, "Down & Out In Beverly Hills" (1986) where we see Nick Nolte, playing a homeless man, living in Beverly Hills---well, "living" as best he can----going from hand to mouth, as they say....And one of the things he does is go through the Garbage Cans in the alleys behind these homes ---at least, that is what I remember him doing.....It is a really good film, 1986, so if you have never seen it, do rent it from Netflix.....Bette Midler and Richard Dreyfuss are married to each other, living in one of these houses in the 'flats' of B.H., and they proceed to take in poor dear homeless Nick Nolte. And that is when the fun begins! As a bonus, we have 'Little Richard', among many other wonderful people in this mid-80's film. It is really fun and it also has a message---a message handed to you in a very easy manner......Anyway....back to the alleys........Well, first....here below is a portion of a Map-To-The-Stars-Homes that just happens to show the very streets of the 'flats' that I am talking about...... This section which goes from Santa Monica Blvd. to Sunset Blvd. goes from South to North, and from not quite Doheny all the way to Wilshire Blvd., going East to West. There are about 20 Streets in this section if you count the shorter one over on the far left.....And of course there are a number of cross streets, as well----three, to be exact, till you get to that spot in the upper center where quite a few streets converge---After that---after Sunset Blvd., continuing North, the streets kind of begin to look like Spaghetti as thry go into The Hills....... Here above we see the sign for Carmelita---the very first cross street above the City Of Beverly Hills.....You can actually walk down the street to the great shopping in Beverly Hills or see your doctor or dentist, if you live on one of these lovely wide streets. Hidden behind the trees that line the streets of the 'flats' are homes like these below....... You see every kind of Architecture there is in this area-----(I did not take the photo's of these houses----I found them on the Internet)....And, these homes are built very very close together. I believe 20 feet is the legal limit, and let me tell you, it is taken and used.....And, behind all of these homes going from Santa Monica almost up to Sunset, are the wonderfully fascinating Alley's...... The above is somewhere fairly close to Sunset Blvd. I don't remember what streets it was between, but most of these alleys resemble one another in one way or another.......Here below, an alley much closer to Santa Monica Blvd........You can see the 'city' of Beverly Hills beyond......I think what unites most of the alleys are the very tall Trees and the Garbage Cans.....The thing is, you never know what you might find sticking out of one of these Garbage Cans, and that is one of things that makes them fascinating to me......So, recently, while out for one of my Jacaranda Tree runs, we went down this alley below....... I couldn't believe the size of that stuffed animal hanging out of that huge garbage can......We thought it was a Teddy Bear maybe.....We moved closer. It was really really big! So we moved even closer........Then, the wonderful brave Shawn, moved the stuffed animal so we could see it better---it was rather wet and not too pretty to the touch, but he did it anyway, Bless him...... Such a sad sweet face. What had his life been in that house behind the wall of Garbage Cans? Did he belong to some dear little girl who grew up and felt she was now beyond childish things like Big Stuffed Animals? Was there a divorce and this animal became, 'no-longer-needed....moving on'? Were the people moving and found they had no room in the new home for this forlorn creature?Awwwwwwww. And then we realized that this was a Big Dog, and not a Teddy Bear at all.....And it turned out that there were two of these big stuffed dogs in that over-stuffed Garbage Can.....One wonders where they came from---Who made them? How expensive were they? Were they well loved? Gee, I hope so........ One never knows what one might find in those back alleys of Beverly Hills, does one? Poor soul. There he is, laid out in all his bigness.....I hope that somebody once treasured him and his brother/sister/partner........










More To Come..........













33 Comments:
had this to say:

I had no idea about those alleys! I love LA, beautiful homes and good food! Poor puppy! One good wash and good as new!

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 6:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is really too bad that big dog was not given to a charity, so that some other kid could love it.

I enjoy seeing your photos, Naomi. You always put an interesting twist to things.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 7:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Maybe someone found these big animals after you left. My daughter, the one who lives in Long Beach, told me that when she lived in an apartment in Belmont Shore people would come and check all the garbage cans to see if anything could be salvaged. But also I wonder why the owners did not give these toys to Goodwill or other charities – they look still good. Maybe very rich people give to big charities, like to Bill Gates, but not to the smaller charities like the Kidney Foundation? Your photos were good though – the alleys have this little air or mystery and finding the dogs must have be a bit strange. But it’s sad too.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 7:55:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Is this a subject I love! I have always been fascinated by back alleys...ever since I was a small child. They seem so peaceful and serene...so private. I especially love alleys that remind one of a country lane, with lots of trees.
Here in Forest Hills, we have a number of blocks with shared alleys.
I bet my Congressman, Anthony Weiner, wishes he had an alley to use. He lives down the block from me, and for the past two weeks CNN and MSNBC have been staked out in front of his apartment--they are there right now. Poor Anthony.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 8:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Interesting post but sad about the stuffed animal. One wonders why it wasn't donated because surely someone would have loved to have it. Reminds me of the Toy Story movies.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 8:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That is a Patrick Pup from FAO Schwarz.
http://www.fao.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3776365
He's $299.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

There's a lot to be learned from the back alleys. People's discards are as much a statement of how they live their lives as are the things they choose to keep.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 11:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh that poor dog, I bet some child would love him!

I loved the film Down & Out In Beverly Hills! Bette Middler was wonderful and I loved the soundtrack featuring Little Richard. Great Gosh Almighty is a great rocker!!

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 12:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great tour, Naomi! I had no idea about those alleys. Very interesting.
I will see if I could to rent this film. I like so much Nick Nolte, Bette Midler and Richard Dreyfuss.

I agree with Justice, a good wash and he will be new again...

I hope you have a nice weekend.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:21:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just wanted to comment about the stuffed animal. Because of the ongoing problem of bed bugs in the U.S., I would never take or sell a used stuffed animal from the trash.
It could be the most costly thing you've ever done.
My friend's building (a luxury condo on the upper east side) had recently been infested with bed bugs. His apartment was hit (they travel through the walls) and it ended up costing him thousands of dollars to rid the place of them. Many apartments were infested. Not only is it costly, but the entire home must be cleaned out. Every closet and drawer had to be emptied and fumigated. Every book, magazine and knick knack had to be taken down and wrapped away in boxes. It took three fumigations to finally rid the apartment of the bugs. It was an unbelievable amount of work, truly.

If I even see a mattress on the sidewalk, I keep my distance. They can jump onto your person. Any bedding material, stuffed animals, etc...can carry them.

You had to see it to appreciate just how awful the situation can be.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ahh, alleys, the other side of the good life. :)

Those dogs remind me of Toy Story 3 -- shouldn't they be ruling the nights at a daycare center or something? heh

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 8:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi... I didn't know you had a secret career as a dumpster diver!
I agree with you, those poor doggies deserve someone to love them. maybe the garbage man will take them home to his children on collection day. The houses you have shown are magnificent, but I think I'd like to wander those back alleys, far more interesting..... and I might meet Nick Nolte!

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 5:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I never knew of the back alley's but it sure makes sense since on the main roads you don't see garbage cans lol.. awwwwwww that poor doggie!!! I agree with others ..to bad it wasn't donated somewhere...

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 5:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a shame the doggies were dumped when there are children who might have benefited from joy they might bring. Bet those alleys see some interesting traffic.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful houses and architecture, Naomi, and we have similar alleys with such dumpsters behind our homes here in Miami (some of us).

Btw, my son has the same pup in his room. It's over his bed as a decoration and keeps him warm in the winter and when the a/c is on too high in the summer.

Loved that 80s movie with Nick Nolte although I don't remember what the overall message was about. I get that one confused with "Ruthless People," although I know they are totally different films. Bette Midler had a few movies back to back during that time period and those were two good ones!

Much love and big hugs to you, my friend! Hope to chat again with you soon! xo

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 8:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi again Naomi... thank you for pointing out the amazing coincidence in the dates on the timers for the grandboys on my blog, I hadn't noticed. The stars must be in alignment!!! Perhaps it's a good omen, I'd better rush out and buy a lottery ticket!!

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

A very interesting post.
Actually garbage bins are a sore subject after trying to master the conventions of the place where we were holidaying and follow the conflicting and varied instructions. Fortunately a kindly neighbour helped out.
I wonder if children actually enjoy those enormous toys. They almost need their own quarters:)

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 9:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It was SUCH a joy to chat with you on the phone yesterday! And you WERE right...I loved this post! That dog is too cute for words....maybe he got tossed out because they were going broke trying to FEED him? LOL

Gorgeous trees....I saw one of these alley's for the first time a couple wk. ago in WA....in back of ALL the homes and they're called "service alleys" for the garbage cans and easy pick-up.
Take care, my dear friend...I'll be back here more often. Promise!

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 1:57:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

My thought is they were won at a carnival or boardwalk by the ex-boyfriend.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 4:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Over 20 years ago when I lived in Dallas, we had an alley behind our house. I thought it was creepy. I did find a small bag of marijuana back there once. I figured it fell out of the garbage man's pocket. Poor guy.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 11:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for taking us somewhere the tour buses wouldn't. I too find it interesting and agree with Judy. I am sure those stuff animals could have been cleaned up and given to some child who could only dream of such a toy.
Thanks for the reminder of that film. I didn't see it first time and am always looking for a good movie. You never disappoint.

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 4:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oooo I remember that film. Thanks for the 'in-sight'.

In regards to that big puppy dog - thank goodness that neither of my girls were with you - I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to pass up not taking him home....

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 9:18:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

On top of my dumptruck
I'm getting my thrills
Collecting the garbage in Beverly Hills
Everyone's on a diet in Beverly Hills
I'd hate to be paying their grocery bills
The bones of the roast are stacked by the red wine
The leftover fish by the bottles of white.....
This gem is from "The wonderful world of Irving Taylor c. 1958.
When I lived in the "slums" of B> H>(south of Wilshire) this was our theme song. When we put it on, the party ended! Ah, the good old days!
50 years of wanton waste in a when in doubt throw it out society have come to logical fruition in the financial instability and recesson we are experiencing.
the fat lady

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 2:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, as others have said, the dog looks fine to me, and why they didn't donate it to charity! Some people can't be bothered; just get rid of it the easiest way possible.

Interesting about the alleys. I had no idea! I would not like the houses being so close together, even though they are beautiful!

As always, an interesting post dear Naomi!! xxoxx

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 8:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

LOL, I have always had a fascination with alleys. When I go to cities, I ask, "Where are the alleys?" At first I spied "toters" but, no, a BH breed of can. BIG. I worked 8 years for Seattle Solid Waste Dept., in 1982 you could EAT off of our clean downtown alleys. Poor dog...will wonder...what COULD he have been? He could have been a contender.

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 8:36:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I just had to stop in after reading Terris blog today. I hate to admit that I use to come by your blog more often but got lazy plus work got in the way of my fun time lol! Anyway, I know Terri and she was here for a book signing last week,I'm sure you know all the details. But I just wanted to say it was an amazing evening and meeting the folks you know there gave me chills (good ones!). I'm going to try to stop by more often to say HI. Oh love the landscape and the pup, yes he needs to go in the washer & dryer then he will be good as new. Take care,
Joyce

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 9:52:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Flash! "The garbage Collector in Beverly Hills" is on youtube! Google it and listen to all the correct lyrics! Irving Taylor is actually a big time song writer--check out his credits. For sure he was a guy with a great sense of humor.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 2:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I always enjoy the randomness of your anecdotes. It's like I'm a kid again, listening to a story I've never heard before. Your post makes think of Toy Story 3, except the dogs on your pics did not end up in a day-care center. Even as an adult, I don't think I would ever be able to throw any stuffed animal away. The child in me could not allow that! :-)

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 5:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

"Down And Out In Beverly Hills" is a really really funny movie. There's one scene with the dog that's hilarious! Next time I want to have a good laugh I'll have to watch it again as I haven't seen it since it came out.

Yeah, we all have trash. You know the saying, "What's one person's trash is another's treasure." I wonder if people go through the trash bins there, like Nolte did, or if they're kept out somehow?

Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 7:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

For so many reasons, those cuddly big dogs being discarded makes me incredibly sad.

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 5:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Very cool! The pictures are great and really give a look into a part of Beverly Hills that nobody knows about. I'm going to rent that movie from Netflix, today, by the way!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 11:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh My dear, who need wikipedia and google to search for real entertainment US history: It's all here on your blog, and better written than anyone else can do it.

I'm really amazed.

btw. Thanks for the wonderful photos of the Flowers Van arranged for you from us here in Oslo. He is really doing a great job - please tell him;-)

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 5:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi, I'm with ABC News! We're actually looking to interview a garbage man for an upcoming segment of 20/20. Do you know any garbage men, or friends of garbage men in BH? Thanks!
JB

Friday, September 27, 2013 at 3:00:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.