Saturday, October 15, 2011
fall flowers

In the Cactus and Succulent world, something is blooming all year round---all of them are not the same plants, of course.....Above, is a beautiful tall Euphorbia....(There are thousands of different kinds of Euphorbias---I probably have 35 different varieties in my garden....). The Bees love these little yellow flowers.....There is nectar to be had here......And if you look closely, you can see it glistening right there for any and all of the bees to enjoy...... I have actually tasted the nectar and it is deeeeelicious! Sweet, sweet, sweet.....Love it! When you sit on my Patio, which is what I was doing.....you can see this very tall Euphorbia which is taller than the Streetlight, now.....There are a lot of plants on my Patio, and a lot right outside the Patio wall, planted in the bed next to the sidewalk.......The Euphorbia that is flowering in these pictures was very small when I planted it back in 1986-87........I don't have a picture of that early early bed.....Well, I have something somewhere but not scanned in......It is hard to believe that all these lovely speciman's were all planted 25 years ago.....This picture below, is of the front bed from March, 2007, while a Film-Shoot was going on across the street from me. I asked them to put those cones up so people would be more careful of these precious plants.....They graciously complied and I dearly appreciated it........ That huge light yellowish plant is amother Euphorbia---it is an Amak Variegated...it was just one little arm when I planted it......The Euphorbia that is flowering right now is a little right of center......Here below, another view, a little bit closer.....this picture was taken in April, 2007...... You can't see the Euphorbia very well, but it is there......Here below, another view where you can see it quite a bit better...... It is really a beautiful plant....but then, I think they are all beautiful plants---like "living" sculpture......From inside the Patio, where I was sitting the other day....you could see the flowering lower branches really really well...... And below.....a closer look at some of those arms---they are just so full and lush---it is always exciting to see ........ And below.....more bees......I didn't get as many really sharp ones as I wanted to, but these are pretty good........I like this first one below, because I caught him 'in flight'...... And the next ones---well, it's just Bees doing what Bees do.....Oh, they seem to enjoy this so very much......... And one last one........ If I can I am going to take some more pictures of the Bees.....I am down with some kind of upper respiratory horror---Not a good thing with my compromised lungs and with quite a lot of family coming over on Saturday......I'm a bit stressed out......Have a wonderful weekend, everyone......I hope the heat breaks here soon......




More To Come..........














20 Comments:
had this to say:

Your 'Fall' pictures are like our summer! They are lovely pictures of the cacti.

I was quite inspired when I saw the ones you've grown and when we returned to the UK after our visit to you I decided to try something here.

Unfortunately the weather would defeat the types of plants you have, so I've settled for some 'spiky alpines' instead. I'll let you know how they do!

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 3:32:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Beautiful, beautiful, love those flowering branches!!

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 3:33:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The bad thing about winter here is that we have to go six months without beautiful plants surrounding us. Thanks for sharing yours.

Cheers.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 8:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

such incredible photo's you always take! I am so glad you have all of it to wonder at and photograph each year it seems something new blossoms or a stalk comes up... it's all amazing!

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 8:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How do you get those bees in action shots?? Your nature shots are always intriguing, my friend. Wish I had that kind of beauty all around me...but at least you share yours. Thanks for that!

Happy Saturday, amiga! I'm heading to Ft. Lauderdale for a day of art walking and exhibits.

PS - Can you recommend any good art films? I'm running low on my Netfix queue and don't have any idea what to add to it. Thx! :)

Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 9:41:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I hope you are taking it easy and letting the family take care of themselves - that's what families are for.
I enjoy the sculptural plants - so different to what we have here. Those below the wall must be a deterrent for any would be trespassers. You are certainly doing your bit to help with the honey crisis.
Get well soon.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 2:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling a little under the weather, try not to get too stressed out and enjoy the time with your family, i am sure they will understand if you are not quite up to par!

Some fantastic shots again, I really do like the way you described them as 'living sculptures', especially the tall ones that you seem to have growing in abundance, they have such strong 'lines'.

We don't have anything like your heat, here in the UK, however it has been unseasonaly warm down in the South, with daytime temperatures more reminiscent of a Summer's day. There is going to be quite a drop in the night-time temperatures this week, so it looks as if it is about to break, although I can't remember the last time we had rain.

Enjoy your weekend and take care.

Yvonne

Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 4:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh, naomi, how i love coming by and sitting on your patio visiting while we watch these wonderful little creatures "bee" themselves on your magnificent plants - you are so right about how totally sculptural/architectural they are - these today remind me of ancient sentinels standing watch! and those blooms! just luscious! you are such a dear to invite us all into your world of beautiful things! i know what you mean about it being so hard to realize the ages of some of your plants - i've a ficus that is a little more than 25 yrs old - seems only yesterday it was a drooping depressed little thing that my daughter gave me and i nursed back to health! just curious, do you name your plants [i know, you have so many, but...]? talk to them etc? again, thanks for the visit, dear lady! wonderful time!

oh, and i've put up another little piece that's not quite so discombobulated as the last one! that weird one was written in the middle of a weird night, if i remember correctly! ;)

Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I have learned so very much from you about cacti, and I appreciate all that you show us and tell us about them. They are indeed beautiful, sculptural plants and as I've mentioned before, the geometry of them astounds me.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 10:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The bees are sure having a blast in your garden and you take such great photos of them!!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling bad. I hope by now that you are on the mend and feeling much better!! xxoxx

Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I am so sorry you are unwell! I hope you are improving a bit and that you coped with the family at the weekend.

I love the shots with the bees. I thought they were wasps but I have no idea what the difference is between the two. Well bees die after they sting and wasps don't, but that's about it.

You must spend hours in your garden just enjoying all your beautiful plants.

What a lovely view when you sit on your patio!

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 3:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Tropical exotic! Please take care of yourself, Naomi! I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 7:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
35 different varieties in your garden of Euphorbias, that's impressive and very different from we have in our Summer Garden.
I wonder what colors the Honey from these Flowers will be?
You will see very different colors in post from The Olive Festival in Provence
http://toraa.blogspot.com/2011/10/ollioules-21ieme-fetes-de-lolivier.html

I'm really amazed by splendour and the seize of your Euphorbias.
They are marvellous and like you wrote: Living Sculptures.

I'm habby the bees are back. Like you I've been concerned about the lack of Bees.
They are more important than most people think about.

Beautiful post

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!

Well, I live in Phoenix so this is what's around me 24/7. I did not care for them at first, but have grown to love them. The bloom on the Saquaro is incredible. The Ocotillo is my favorite. The blooms on prickly pear are pretty terrific, too.

And I get all Boy Scout with cacti now. I know the one to eat and which ones hold the most water.

And so many cacti become homes for other creatures. The list of reasons to love these plants goes on and on.

Stan
XOXO

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 9:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am fascinated by the bumble bees....they looked so 'fat' must be getting good nectar from your garden :)

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 6:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I laughed while watching at the videos you took during the Ladies Who Lunch party – you certainly had fun.

The orchid photos were stunning – the colors gorgeous.

I always enjoy reading your reviews of films, or television shows. We do not have HBO but while in Long Island we saw “Boardwalk” on TV. I liked it a lot. I’ll see if my library has the DVD for the first season.

You have such a first class garden Naomi – I know how much pleasure it gives you – and of course all your guests admire it as well.. I hope your respiratory infection goes away quickly – these things can make you feel so weak.

Monday, October 17, 2011 at 6:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

hope your day finds you sitting out on your patio soaking it all in! ;)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 7:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my, those cactus and succulents are fantastic, truly beautiful! I saw some big ones when I was visiting friends in Dana Point a few years ago, and lots when I visited Israel. So different from anything we see here in cold Canada unless I go to the big ornamental greenhouses in Toronto or in Niagara Falls.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love that shot of the cactus taller than your house. It looks like a tree! Also, let your family take care of you this weekend instead of worrying and stressing about them.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 10:11:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love the pics of the bee. "Flight of the Bumblebee." Great!

Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 8:14:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.