Wednesday, March 21, 2012
garden wonders

I first posted this back in 2007.....Since Spring seems to be "springing", I thought it would be fun for you to see it again...And for many of you, for the first time.....Enjoy! So...here above is an Aloe in 'flower' with this dear little Bird sitting right on top of one of the amazing flower stalks.....the orange of these flowers is just stunning.....! There are many kinds of Aloe's and this is just one of them....and the thing is, the flowers are different on every one of them. This is not an Aloe flower...it is a flower on "George", who I have posted about exstensivly in the past, like last year all through the Winter and Spring....but as you can see above, a dear Bee was enjoying a bit of a snack here....And this was just this spring....And below, a wonderful side view of a flower on "George", again, this spring.... The furry fuzz on the side is very important as it becomes the outside of the fruit...yes, the flower turns into a wonderful amazing fruit. But it goes through quite a metamorphesis before it is ready....I know some of you will remember seeing the fruits last year....well, soon again, there will be some more....just like this one, below. I will show you this metamorphasis in another post, because it is pretty amazing how that flower can get to be this fruit....And what's even more amazing is how the flower gets to be a flower, in the first place...but, that is for another day....I promise. Here are some Agave flowers....from a small agave....What I love is the variations of colors....These flowers are very popular with all the birds, but particularly the Hummingbirds and the Finches.....Here below is another view..... This picture reminds us that the city is right out there...You can forget sometimes because you can get 'lost', (in a good way), in the garden itself.... But from this point of view that city is all 'out there'. Here above is where you get 'lost' in the garden....or here below, too....
This is a small Opuntia....each of those little brown fuzzy dots contains hundreds of little sticker thingy's....trying to pick up one of the pads without wearing gloves is a couple of hours with a tweezers ....!

I think this is a very beautiful plant....living sculpture right here in my garden..... And above, a closer look at those little tufts of brown.....so evenly spaced....Natures Designs.....there is nothing like them. These are the flower pods on a Dracena Drago....A beautiful plant that starts out with one 'head' and then keeps creating new heads every year or so....And here below, the flowers that were inside those little round pods.... Lush and gorgeous.....they look good enough to eat, don't they? I wonder if people might eat these in 'the wild'....I'll have to look that up.......





More To Come.....







27 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I have always thought your garden a wonderful oasis.
It's great to see those plants again.
BTW I have often wondered when i see the famous Hollywood sign where you are in relation to it?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 4:17:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I remember this one. I liked it then, too.

BTW, don't worry. I'll be visiting to check on you and get my fix of flowers, Hollywood, and reviews! Where else would I go?

Cheers.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 6:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always love the photos of your garden and these are truly outstanding!!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 8:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos, Naomi! I've just put some on mine.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 8:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Libby
had this to say:

Great pictures - thanks!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 3:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have never seen aloe in bloom! I love when you post photos of plants in your area---especially the macro shots. Thank you!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 5:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I had never seen an aloe flowers. I had not seen many of the other flowers either – it is not likely that I would see them in Georgia. I enjoyed this post.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 6:31:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

It's fun to see that I have some of those plants in my garden, too. We had to move our opuntia after a child got too close to it...talk about hours with a tweezer, you are right!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 1:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Spring is just awesome in your garden. I love the diversity of plants you have and my what wonderful blossoms.
I have a small converted octagonal fish tank that I planted it in succulents. I did try cactus but they didn't thrive. I'll just enjoy yours.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 2:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi: all I can say is Wow, your garden plants are so interesting, and so different. Nothing like the plants that grow in gardens here in the Great White North! Do these cactus and succulents need a lot of care, or do they manage on their own? I assume that they grow quite slowly? The flowers are fascinating, and it seems that the birds love them too.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 5:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the aloe flower, with its visitor, is wonderful
and I love the flat flowers with the dots, I already forgot the name
I'm terrible with flower and plant names

beautiful post lady

Hope sends hugs

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 5:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So pretty Naomi, and such unusual flowers. There are so many species of flowers that one can never get enough! The Opuntia is pretty with all the red dots, and I'll bet that would be painful if you bumped against it! Hugs to you and hope you are doing well.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 3:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm not kidding. These are so off the chart exotic that they gave me a chill and brought tears to my eyes! I love the way they all look together too.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 6:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the contrast of the flowers with the city behind. It seems that you get the best of both worlds where you live. Your garden is a delight, and all the colour and variations must be amazing. I love the way you managed to captured both the bird and the bee in your shots. You are an excellent photographer as well as all your other skills and gifts!

Friday, March 23, 2012 at 1:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is not my first time seeing the photo's but it is just as enjoyable a second time because you have such an eye for the photo's that you take!... but then only you really know where to look in your very special garden.

Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh, naomi, how i love dropping by your place and always being greeted with such beauty! and it IS that time finally - spring - even here! and i've this incredible yearning to be spending saturdays at local nurseries picking out my sun room plants - this will be the first full spring/summer in this house - the sun room crosses the front of the house - direct northern exposure - from my "space" there is a door opening onto this long sunroom - so far i've only a few nice chairs in it but i'm thinking a complete "room" [including a daybed] in the end - a room filled with plants - anyway, dropping by and seeing your wonderful green friends was just the thing! thanks so much!

Friday, March 23, 2012 at 11:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely haven this garden is -- I'm so glad you reposted it, as I hadn't discovered your blog back with the original. Simply beautiful photos -- hard to believe it is right in the city!

Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an eye you have! Thank you

Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 7:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the various flowers in your garden,Naomi,they are so different than what I am used to seeing.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 4:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Good gardens are like good books and good moview. Worth seeing again.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Yes dear Naomi, I remember well these photos of your wonderful garden. Really your garden looks a Paradise. Love the macros pictures too and Opuntia is gorgeous. I'm so glad that you reposted these photos. Thanks for sharing.

Wishing you a pleasant Sunday!

Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 11:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ah, I remember this post as I always love your garden posts. The pic of the flower and the bee is wonderful. Thanks for drawing our attention to this again :)

~ Bobkat

Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 12:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing like usual. They are beautiful.. I love them all. that one plant is type of catus? I believe its spelled.. Hope all is good with you.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 1:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the photos, some of these which I've never seen before and it is gorgeous :D

Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 7:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All the photos are lovely but I especially like the ones with the city in the background. It's such a contrast to the flowers!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am glad you are revisiting some of your earlier posts, those from before I knew you! These are beautiful!

Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have a lovely garden Naomi but even more lovely are the photos you take. You really are so talented and make everything look so interesting and beautiful. Wish I lived closer you could take my picture lol

My daughter is in Columbia, can you believe it? She spent some time in New York then went to Cartegena at the same time the President was there. Glad she didnt run into those Secret Service men though - they all sounded a bit dodgy according to the news reports.

I would like to pack up and go for a trip too but it certainly wont be to south America - those days are gone. I am too much of a chicken now and like to be as safe as I can. I think its called old age, lol

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 6:47:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.