Monday, August 13, 2012
art & friendship

I cannot remember if I ever showed this painting above, on my blog....This reproduction is not completely accurate--color wise, at all--but it's the best I have....I painted this in 1982-83....My deep interest in Flowers---Particularly Roses, had been in play since around 1977, when I did a series of photographs of Larry Parks' Rose Garden. Larry had died in 1975 and his dear son Garrett had continued to tend their Garden. In particular, Larry's Rose Garden. I must have taken 1000 pictures of the Roses in his special Garden. I have never shown any of them here on my blog because they are all slides and I need to get them digitized, and I cannot do that till I get a big chunk of change--it's an expensive process.....Below.....
Another Rose painting from that same period.....Of course these are abstractions of the "real" thing. It's just how I paint---it's my 'expression' of what a Rose looks like.....in acrylic. My dear dear old friend Lois Land, saw the top one of these paintings on the net and asked me about about it in an email....So I thought I would post the only two "rose" paintings I ever did, here on my blog....And speaking of Lois....she was here in Los Angeles in July, to visit me. We had a wonderful visit. I had not seen her--in person-- for many many years....She lives way up in Northern California and with work and family, it has not been easy for her to get down here.....California is a humongously big state....!I first met Lois back in 1972. She was just about to turn 21 then...but, an old soul if ever there was one.....Below, a picture of her in Hawaii, in 1974. She accompanied me there and that is where she met her dear husband John. They have four boys---well, all men, now..... Above....Lois, in Hawaii. She doesn't look all that different to me now, almost 40 years later. Unfortunately I can't say the same about me....!We were at The Kona Village, (on the Big Island) for dinner.....The darling, talented wonderful Ron Rifkin had come to visit for a week and along with some other people, we went to The Kona Village, for a lovely dinner...... Above....Ron and Lois......We were early for our dinner reservation, so we walked around and probably had some refreshments before going in to dinner.....The Kona Village was a wonderful place---a real 'get-away' place for couples and family's, too... Back to the present. My visit with Lois was so very healing for me....knowing someone so long and being so very close--she knew my father and my two sisters and of course had heard about my mother, in depth....So, although she had not ever met my dear brother Gordon, it was like she had, you know? So, having a lovely day with her where I could just be myself in all my grief, was a true gift---and we laughed a lot, too. Laughing and crying are so close, someyimes. The next day, one of her dear sons, Malachi and his lovely wife Nicole, came back from a day at Disneyland and Lois, Malachi and Nicole spent a little more time with me before they all went on their way to San Diego for a 'family' Birthday party..... Nicole, Malachi and Lois, went down into my Cactus Garden, which I am no longer able to navigate, and took a few pictures like the ones above. They really enjoyed seeing it and it is always great for me to see other people's pictures of my Garden. To see things through their eyes that I might not see----especially, since I can no longer go down into it---is always great! And, above.....Malachi, Nicole and Lois, with me, just before they left for San Diego. It was such a wonderful visit---it truly did my heart good! And speaking of hearts.......Lois took this picture of an unfinished painting of mine from the mid-to-late 1980's---around 1986-87...She thought it was finished, but I knew it wasn't.....That section that looks white, over on the left side of the heart, was to have been painted in a certain "hopeful" way---with a light in the middle---But, I just never finished it.....Still...it sits on the floor, here in my bedroom, as it has, for all these years---I really always thought I would finish it----The Puzzle of The Heart. Here below, a painting I did finish which was in my One-Person Art Show in 1987---a very very large painting, by the way--(6' X 8')----that shows that light I was talking about...... Art and Friendship. Friendship and Art. These things are intertwined in my life in a huge way. I could probably write ten more posts about how these two things are related in my life...But for now, this will suffice......!



More To Come.........












28 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

What a lovely post Naomi.
Where would we be without art and friendship.
It must have been a wonderful visit with so many bonuses.
I hope it has been a great comfort to you after all the losses you have suffered. Keep smiling:)

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 4:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The rose paintings are like mandalas that focus the attention. I love the light in the last heart and am glad you had it to show, since the blue painting is not finished and I couldn't imagine it. Lovely to hear about your visit. I wish I had gone down into your cactus garden but the short time we had together in February flew by so fast!

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 7:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are a talented lady! xx

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 9:43:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I wish I had the money to put in one of those chair elevators so you could get down to your beautiful garden. I'm glad your guests could go down and take pictures for you. As for your unfinished painting, maybe leaving those pieces unpainted makes a statement of its own, one of emptiness, lost love, unfound love, so many possibilities.

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 2:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are so talented Naomi! And it is another talent to maintain friendships in this way. thanks for sharing -- art and friendship and gardens all!

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I miss you, that is all ((((AUNTYEM))) :) I just had to speak at someones funeral last weekend and grief is a very personal journey,sending lots of love to you as you work through yours.

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 4:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How nice that you could get to visit with old friends, especially one who means so much to you. I love your rose paintings.

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 6:30:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I am so happy for you and such a lovely visit! and I am very fond of your hearts :)

Monday, August 13, 2012 at 11:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wow, I am glad you shared your painted roses!! and more happy that you had such wonderful company! reading this reminds me of the ladies that lunch...so much "history" to the friendships. I am happy for you .

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 7:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, your painting is so very beautiful -- your own style, to be sure but evoking the feeling of Georgia O'Keeffe's work. I'm very impressed.

I'm so glad you had a chance to reconnect with an old friend. It sounds like the perfect time together and we all need that. There is nothing like an old friend to laugh and cry with, who understands you so well. What a great day!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 4:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

LOVE your rose paintings! they just speak to me - absolutely lovely - as is your other work, as well - and so generous of you to share with us here in your blog that is always full of wonderful stories and beautiful images! and of you, dear lady, and of you!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 6:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What gorgeous paintings of red roses, Naomi! You are so talented! Larry Parks'Rose Garden sounds a wonderful garden and I am glad that his son Garrett had continued to tend their Garden. Wow! You took about 1000 pictures of the roses! I would love to be there with you...

It's so nice to have dear friends! Love your photo with your friend Lois. So great that you have so many photos to share with us.
I am glad that you and Lois could to talk about your dear brother Gordon... I agree with you, laughing and crying are so close, sometimes...

It's always a pleasure to see your cactus garden with amazing desert plants! Love the photo of you with your dear friends.

I enjoyed so much to see again the photo of your beautiful picture "Puzzle of The Heart."
Yes, I agree with you, "Art and Friendship" are important things in our life and make our life much better!

Hope you have a good week ahead.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 6:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful paintings. I like that piece out of the center of the heart as it's what I have heard that we can sometimes give away a piece of our heart when we love someone. Some psychics claim they can help us reclaim it but I suspect more likely they claim some of our money ;)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 2:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your friends are wonderful, as are you.

I LOVE your paintings - especially the hearts! And I completely get the light within you are talking about.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 3:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for posting photos of your paintings, Naomi. You see the detail in the world, I think. It's how you see the world.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 5:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Enjoyed seeing your lovely paintings. Like the "light" in the heart. The other heart can be interpreted in several ways just as it is dependent on the viewer. Perhaps only you would know it isn't finished as you wanted.

My, that looks like a magnificent organ pipe cactus in one picture.

Glad you could have the company of your long time friend. I always think of the words a now-deceased (lung cancer) friend living on the opposite coast once wrote me, "There's no friend like an old friend." I was much younger then, but it occurs to me now that I'm older that her words could be interpreted in two ways -- both true. She would laugh at that, as you and your friend laughed together with old memories/private jokes.

Friday, August 17, 2012 at 2:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

good heavens you're talented!!
I love the depth of detail in the roses
and the unfinished heart is lovely

I'm glad you had a good visit
the photos from the past are wonderful
everyone is so beautiful

Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 7:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You would have to be one of the most talented people I know! Those paintings are fabulous.

You're right, your friend Lois has not aged a bit! Sheesh. I hope I look that good in 20 years time.

Like you, I enjoy seeing photos other people take of my home, area I live in etc., because it is rare to see photos taken with the same eye... xx

Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 3:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I like the way the links in this story come together, with friends and your art weaving an interesting pattern. It's almost like that painting wasn't meant to be finished!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 3:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi you are so talented. And I am glad you had such a lovely visit. I just wanted to come over and say hello. I need to do a summer post on my blog to update life. We adopted a new Calico kitten. She is something else and I know you would love her. I hope you are okay, I think of you often. Still hoping for my visit one day!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello dear Naomi! You're really talented and awesome! I beg to disagree, you're gorgeous and wonderful then and NOW! Hugs from Bergen!

Sunday, August 19, 2012 at 4:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I just love your cactus garden. Cacti appeal to me because I find it hard to grow anything myself. Love visiting your blog. You look so good to my eyes! It's sure nice to see old friends and revisit memories.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, I'm so glad you got a visit from those lovely friends!! Your heart painting, even though not finished, is so beautiful! Very detailed all of your wonderful paintings. I think of you often and so glad you had this day of joy with old friends! xxoxx

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That heart painting really spoke to me, Naomi. Just beautiful! I can relate :-)

Thursday, August 23, 2012 at 10:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

First, I am so very glad you had a lovely healing visit with your friend of many years. It is so important to share the grieving process with someone who gets us and understands. Just what your heart and soul needed.

Now as for you having changed in 40years - do you really think that much? I don't. Look at you with your beautiful skin, no wrinkles and gorgeous cheekbones. We always see ourselves differently to how others do - I think I am even greyer than you too.

As for your art, wow. How I would love to see these in person. Simply exquisite. Do you paint any more? I would like to commission a Naomi painting let me tell you.

And the hearts - very symbolic of their creator I would think. You don't have a closed heart - there is always space for new people, places and things isn't there. What I love about you Naomi is that you get excited by so many things and are always open to learning something new. And from all the wonderful friendships you have had over many, many years you clearly have a huge light filled heart. That my dear certainly hasn't changed in 40 years, I bet.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 12:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The color of your rose painting is so rich – I enlarged it and looking at it made me warm all over. You are a gifted painter. So nice that your dear friends could stop Naomi – I am pleased that you had such a good time with them.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 4:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My most precious art is done by friends or family. Your heart...in your bedroom...fascinating.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 7:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You should finish that painting! You are so talented. I love the way you work.

I was sad to read that you can no longer walk through your Cactus garden, that must be hard for you.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:36:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.