Tuesday, February 19, 2013
amour

"AMOUR"
This is a beautiful, painful, touching film.
It is about the twilight years of a long-time married couple, and the declining health of the wife. The collaboration of the two leading actors and the director is inspiring and truly shows when there is trust in the material and all those trying to bring something special and truthful to the screen---miraculous things can happen.
First....the two actors: Both, longtime stars in the French Cinema, Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant....are sublime!
What they bring to this extraordinary film is a history of performance and an understanding that goes way beyond being actors. It is who they are as people----the weight and depth of who they are and who they were, 'back in the day'. To cast these two people was genius, on the part of Writer/Director Michael Haneke!
Emmanuelle Riva was best known in America for the great great film, "Hiroshima, Mon Amour"
And Jean-Louis Trintignant was known here in The United States for "A Man And A Woman", as well as a number of other films: "Umberto D" and "The Conformist"..... 


Two brilliant actors, each of whose careers span close to 60 years. And this is a huge part of what they bring to this remarkable work of art! 
And this film is a true work of Art!
Everything about it is perfection.  It is deep and thoughtful and filled with love and what it means to love.
Part of the great beauty of this film is the economy of movement that the director has chosen in which to tell his story. 
The way the film is shot, he often leaves the camera in one place for an entire scene. The result of this is an intimacy that makes you feel that you are sitting in the room, with them.
This film is up for Best Picture and Best Foreign Film, as well----it deserves both these Awards, and Emmanuelle Riva is up for Best Actress---at 85 years old, the oldest Nominee, ever! (She turns 86 on Oscar Sunday, February 24th....I hope she wins!)
The great Michael Haneke is Nominated for Best Director as well as for his Original Screenplay.
"AMOUR" won the highest honor at The Cannes Film Festival and it has garnered many other Awards, including, Ms. Riva winning the Best Actress at the BAFTA'S, just days ago.

This is not an easy picture to watch in many respects because it deals with very hard and painful things.
I urge you to see it in spite of that. The rewards are great. "AMOUR"  is all about Life and Love and Loyalty.
You can't go wrong with these precious things.




More To Come.......
 


 

  







25 Comments:
had this to say:

Wonderful review Naomi of the performances but I may just have to pass on this one due to content. I think it hits too close to home for too many of us old codgers.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 2:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

only a few more days until the Oscars! I hope you have seen all the movies! :o) this one sounds like a tear jerker...i cry so much as it is I am not sure I could watch one like this..but it does sound beautiful. I have found when a movie is mostly with and about old people that the stories are always worth watching.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 2:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I wouldn't have known about this one - I hope Ms. Riva wins on her birthday. Definitely adding to Netflix queue.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 2:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your reviews always make me want to see the movie, and this one is no exception. Plus I think the subject matter will be interesting, since I am in that age group.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 5:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Great review, Naomi!
I must to see this film for sure!
The aging, the illness, are so difficult issues to talk about...
I remember well Emmanuelle Riva and principally Jean Jean-Louis Trintignant. Great and beautiful actors!
"Amour" sounds really a beautiful and emotionally touching film.
I hope "Amour" wins all Awards.
Thanks dear Naomi for this great post!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 7:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Will keep an eye out for this one, thanks Naomi!!

It looks like a great film!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 3:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I imagine this is one you need to watch with a box of tissues! It sounds beautiful though so I will have to watch.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 4:31:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

This movie didn't come to our town. I will have to Netflix it.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 6:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you, I hadn't heard of this - I love foreign films and I love how directors in other countries actually let their actors look like actors, as opposed to walking ads for Botox and bad cosmetic surgery.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 9:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great review and a most compelling endorsement! I'll look for it here. xoxoxxo

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 5:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your thoughts and insights about films always interest me, Naomi. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 9:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This looks like a touching film and one I'd have to be in the mood for so I can appreciate it fully. Thanks for the review, m'dear. Hope all's well with you. Let's chat soon! ♥

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This is one I really want to see and I know it will be hard, so I'm trying to figure if I should watch with Rick or not. (For obvious reasons). It certainly sounds beautiful and I've heard amazing things about her performance.

Thanks again, Naomi. You know why.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 6:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm looking forward to the Oscars this weekend
I don't really have any predictions, I'll just enjoy being surprised

I caught up with the reviews I missed, thanks for all your insight

hugs from me and Hope

Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 7:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've not heard of this one but will keep my eye out for it, thanks :)

Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for the recommendation and I will certainly look out for it.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 4:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have not heard much about this film either Naomi but loved your review. How wonderful that the lead acress is 86 and up for an Oscar. You are never too old for anything. I am so going to watch this film as it sounds right up my alley.

Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Heard about it and forgot, now I'll be sure to see it. Must get ready now for the big night!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 2:00:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Just fiished watching the red carpet show, anxiously awaiting the Oscars!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 5:20:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I saw Emanuelle receive an award at the ?BAFTAS?
Having read what you say I hope to see it when I can ever work out how to stream to my TV. Don't ask.

Especially as my dear brother succumbed to this cruel disease.
Kudos to the team for making this film.

Monday, February 25, 2013 at 3:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
I saw the Oscar yesteday. I am looking forward to know what was your award evaluation, appreciation. I am sorry that Emmanuelle Riva did not won the Oscar...
Hope you have a lovely day!
Many hugs my dear.

Monday, February 25, 2013 at 5:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

My local theatre shows "art films" twice a month.... I am usually the volunteer to take tickets etc.... and this one looks like it would be perfect to show. I'll suggest it to the person who arranges the events.

Monday, February 25, 2013 at 7:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have been hesitant to take my husband to see this movie because of his illness. But, if it plays around here I think we’ll go. I know it is a great movie and I enjoyed your review.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 8:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Kudos to Jennifer Lawrence for being so cool and funny. I love her and she handled her fall in such a cute way. The Oscars did have some really boring dry spells this year. And while I liked Seth at first, he got old.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 5:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The comment about Jennifer Lawrence was supposed to go under the Oscars post but I think I messed up :) I ccanot watch this one. Just too sad. I don't want to think about it.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 5:27:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.