Thursday, May 23, 2013
better days

Hummingbirds are so very dear.
They come unexpectedly, and are so very precious as they drink from the flower that has drawn them so close to you.....
How do they find these plants that are on my deck? Is it the smell? Is it that they can see these flowers, no matter where they are?
Whatever it is----I just love that they know where their next meal is coming from----especially when it's close to me!
Here is a stunning Cactus Flower----It is a lovely example of the Beauty that these varied plants are capable of producing.....
And above....a Flower that is only open for one day a year.....So lovely and delicate....the color is exquisite.....I know I have posted this before.  But it is worth seeing again, since it only appears once a year for one very special day!
I LOVE THIS PLANT!!!!
This is a truly special succulent. These little knobs are so fantastic! Bulbous and yet sensitive---covered in this amazing textured softness---like 'felt' cloth.....And the color.....WOW!  One might just pass this by without seeing the incredible Artistry of nature. Do click to make it larger and see all of these lovely things-of-nature, in all their beauty.
I don't have any new pictures of my Garden because I am unable to get down in there anymore.....
But, I do have lots and lots of pictures from days gone by-----pictures of some of the truly amazing plants and flowers that nature has created.
Here is a succulent just bursting with little flowers---but you might just pass it by; never seeing the complexity of beauty that is right there for the seeing......
You have to look closely.
Here below.....another great Beauty!
Everything about these plants is perfection-in-design!
A closer look below......
And below.....another angle......
Simply Sublime..........

Below, more teeny tiny flowers, and in such abundance when they open up......
These are very tiny flowers, too....This is a Euphorbia---one of about 1,500  Varieties----I only have about 30 or so Varieties in my Garden.......
Below.....another picture of another Flowering Euphorbia.....You can see how tiny the flowers are by the fact that some ones finger is right next to them......
My Garden, in better days.......



More To Come.........


NOTE: It took me all these many months to figure out how to make my pictures X-Large.......DUH!!!!

NOTE 2:  May 23rd.....My dearest friend Betty G.'s Birthday.....She would have been 94!  So, in honor of her "special" day.....here is a special picture of the two of us....Opening Night on Broadway, November, 1989, of "MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS"....Betty danced on top of a table in this show, and sang her dear heart out---and was pretty astounding, among other wonderful things.....
Better Days, Indeed!







23 Comments:
had this to say:

What a glorious photo of you and Betty!!!!!

AND I'm always delighted to see your breath-taking gardens!!!!!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my, such wonderful plants in your garden. The colours and shapes are stunning. Nice to see the humming birds too. I have a feeder but haven't hung it up yet, I need to install another bracket with a hook on my deck.
Have you seen a British TV programme called "Around the World in 80 Gardens"? It showed a wonderful garden in the Hollywood Hills.... and I wondered if it was near you!

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 6:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You and your marvelous photos have turned me on to a group of plants I would have normally ignored and wouldn't have known how stunning their flowers are. Thank you.
I know you still miss your dear friend so very much but I hope now days, your thoughts of Betty are full of warm smiles and wonderful memories.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 8:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I never could have seen the beauty of such plants, being a product of the Midwest (Indiana) and now Seattle. Thank you for opening my eyes to, well, so MANY things. Your blog is a true treasure.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So beautiful! You have such a wonderful garden :)

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:55:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Oh dear I have just done a garden post and then see your magnificent photos and plants.
I kneel at your feet in homage to such talent :)
Such a lovely photo of you both.

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 2:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

If I didn't already know you were an artist, I'd know it from your photos of these beautiful plants. YOu notice every little detail of them, and I love thast you point them out to others in such a special way.

That photo of Betty and you is gorgeous!! I'm so glad you learned how to make them larger!

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 7:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That photo of you and Betty is wonderful. You both look so happy.

The plant that only opens for one day a year is amazing. Blink and you'll miss it!

That photo of the plant with the furry balls is so unusual. I've never seen anything like it.

I tried to take a photo of a humming bird in AZ and I just couldn't capture it at all! You've done it so well!

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such beautiful pictures, Naomi! x

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 12:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful photo of you and Betty! You both looks gorgeous! Lovely and precious memories, dear Naomi.

Your garden looks a paradise! You took stunning and breathtaking pictures, as always.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend!
Many hugs and much love!

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 3:49:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love, love, love your close ups on flowers, especially the one with dew. I also love the hummingbirds.

Friday, May 24, 2013 at 7:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

the garden photo's are gorgeous the second time around too! I love the photo of you and Betty. I don't know why I didn't realize her birthday is the same day as my mothers ..my mom would have been 93!

oh naomi I wish I lived in sherman oaks again... I would come over and take photo's of your garden for you! :o( I certainly hope you have binoculars so that you can still look close at some of your gorgeous flowering cactus's!

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 4:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful picture of you and Betty! You look like sisters in this one and so very happy. I bet it brings back some sweet memories for you.

Btw, I love all the plant pics and especially the felt one...it looks like it's coated with sugar crystals from here (or it could just be my eyes going bad). Beautiful birds, too!

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 6:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Stunning pictures of your wonderful garden. The humming birds are spectacular! such great photography.
And a lovely shot of you and your dear friend! ((Hugs))

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such lovely photos of your flowers, Naomi. So reminiscent of your paintings. Thank you for sharing them.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 12:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those pics are from your deck? No way! Fantastic. I used to get hummingbirds when I lived in Phoenix. Beautiful, delicate creatures.

Cactus Flower. Film with the marginally-talented Goldie Hawn adapted from the stage play starring the mega-talented Lauren Bacall. No charge for the extra tidbit.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 6:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love all of the pics! That one of you two is great, and your garden flowers are gorgeous. And it looks like you have an amazing view!

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 10:36:00 PM PDT 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Naomi, your cactus garden is totally awesome. I have never seen such beautiful cactus flowers. I have always thought of cactus a prickly "things", but now I see their beauty. Thanks for giving me that pleasure.

I scrolled and read about your gardner's helper. It is sad, but think of it as he could not have been in a more beautiful place to let his spirit go.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 5:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I came back to see the beautiful pictures again and found the picture of you and Betty! A nice surprise.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 6:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely, lovely cactus flowers! I love hummingbirds, too. I catch glimpses of them as they go to my neighbor's feeder. My dad used to have several feeders for them.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 8:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

All spectacular photos. I especially love the hummingbird as they aren't easy to capture so detailed.

Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 7:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Spectacular photos. I have never been able to nail a good hummingbird shot. And the cacti are splendid!

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 8:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Some great pictures and my belated comment!

I was particularly taken with that second photo and have come back to it a few times.

The one with the humming bird and a background of L.A.

Stunning.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 10:26:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.