Tuesday, July 21, 2015
The birthday celebration

Finally, here are some photos of my Birthday Dinner.
I didn't take any of them, at all, but three friends who were there took quite a few pictures, for which I am very very grateful.
That Orchid on the Piano near the Balloons was given to me by my Gardener, Seven.....It is absolutely Gorgeous!

We started fairly early and it was still light outside and a pretty clear day in L.A., so we could see things outside my floor to ceiling windows that aren't always visible......
That is the lovely Bridget Hanley with yours truly----with my 84 shirt and the city behind us.....It was a lovely warm evening, but not too hot like it is now.......
My dear friend Glenn was one of the people taking pictures.......
I was showing him how to use my camera.....And he took a lot of terrific pictures! 
The wonderful Dianne Travis took a lot of pictures, too....In fact she took the one above of Glenn and me......
And there on the left is the lovely Dianne, talking "Horse" talk with the beautiful Karen Culliver Parks......They both love horses and in fact, Dianne has a Beautiful horse named Chisholm who she calls Chis, for short....
And above, there are Karen and Garrett Parks.......it is always lovely for me to be with Betty G.'s boys and their wonderful wives.....This year, daughter Maddy was not her because she is in New York working----of course, it's the family business----Show Business. 
She has the most Beautiful voice and has 
"IT"!
That elusive special quality that some people have, called 'Star Quality'.
Any of you who have been reading my blog for a long time have watched Maddy grow up.....
Well, here is a picture Garrett emailed me the other day----this is the Beautiful Maddy now!

We missed her, but it is thrilling to know she has begun her New York career......I'll keep you updated!
And above, the wonderful Annie Guilbert with Andy Parks, betty G.'s younger son.....
Annie is on an HBO series called "Getting On".....she is such a wonderful actress---stage and TV and film----And what a career! The neighbor on "The Dick Van Dyke" show.....and many years later playing Yetta, The Grandmother, on "The Nanny", and now "Getting On", plus all sorts of plays and films and TV shows all along the way.....She has been in two plays of mine and won an Award for one of them.....It was fabulous to work with her!
And of all the people at this party, I've known Annie, the longest!
 I met her in the early summer of 1962.....when I was singing at this little Piano Bar called Verney's.....Annie was in a show called "Billy Barnes, L.A."....it was a terrific 'review' right next door at The Coronet Theatre.  And Billy played the piano in Verney's, and I sang there.

And just a few months later I met the dear sweet Lee Meriwether when I joined Theatre West, and of course, that's where I met Betty G., too......
It's wonderful to have such dear sweet friends for 53 years. And wonderful that they were celebrating my 84th Birthday with me......
And above, there is Lee with her darling talented husband, Marshal Borden---a superb actor and a fabulous writer, too.
They met doing a play at a Theatre that my sweet friend Earl Holliman ran many years ago.
And there is Earl, arriving-----I've known him for 50 years!  It doesn't seem possible.......And over on the left, the Beautiful Seemah Wilder.....!
I love this picture of Earl---still a handsome devil----with Annie and Bridget.....it was such a fun happy night.
I love that you can see those two Rollators in the background----one is Annie's and one is mine!  We are falling apart but still having fun! LOL!


Part Two will be along sooner than later----


(I hope!)


More To Come........

 







25 Comments:
had this to say:

Such a fun celebration! Happy belated!! Can't wait to see part two!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 3:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I've been waiting to see your birthday celebration photos! Love the 84 t-shirt you are wearing! There seem to be quite a few new faces at your birthday bash this year or am I just going mad?

I also love the view out of your windows. What an amazing view. I don't think I've seen night time shots before. Or dusk shots.

It must be good that someone else was taking all the photos for you too, I would imagine it means you can relax a bit more.

I look forward to seeing more photos of you and all your wonderful friends!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 9:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, you always have the best parties. So glad you had such wonderful friends to share your day with you. We have gotten to recognize most of them through you.
So glad you had the picture of Earl. I kind of had a crush on him when I was younger. He is still handsome.
Belated Happy Birthday my friend. Looking forward to "more".

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 2:55:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Lee
had this to say:

How wonderful to hear about your birthday celebration spent with valued, good friends, Naomi. There's nothing quite like the friends we have for so many years...they're the true friends, I believe...they are the ones who know who we are...and love us for who we are...warts and all...and vice versa. :)

I'm glad you had a great birthday. And, wow! Earl Holliman...I used to love him in movies...he always had something mischievous about him, playful, harmless mischievousness. He still is a fine-looking man, too.

Thanks for sharing your day and your friends with us, Naomi...take good care of yourself....hugs. :)

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 5:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Lee
had this to say:

And I meant to say...keep celebration, Naomi! :)

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 5:26:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Lee
had this to say:

Celebrating, even...I'll get it right eventually! :)

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 3:59:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

What a wonderful life to have so many friends for such a long time. They all look so happy, and you're right, Mr. Holliman is still handsome. I don't remember if I realized it before and forgot it, but just now I realized why Bridget Hanley looked so familiar. I remember her from "Here Come the Brides." I love that show. Glad you had a lovely birthday dinner surrounded by friends.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 3:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like another excellent party. I like your special tee-shirt too - and its good to see you having such a grand time! As others commented, beyond the party, there's that stunning background view too!

It's lovely to catch up like this!

Best wishes and looking forward to "More to come"!

Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 6:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy late birthday, doll!! It looks like a wonderful time.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 10:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It looks like a wonderful party and it's nice to see that you're enjoying it :) You are glowing there and who wouldn't when you are surrounded by good friends and loved ones :) Wishing you all the best Naomi! Hugs from us here in Bergen :)

Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 12:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My dear Naomi! What a beautiful Birthday Party and Celebration Dinner!
You look great and very happy too! Sounds you all had a great and fun time!
As always love to see you and your wonderful friends to sharing your special day!
I wish so much I could to be there with you to embrace you with much love!
Love your special tee-shirt too!

Wow! Maddy looks gorgeous! I remember well when she was a beautiful little kid. Yes, I have watched lovely Maddy grow up.

What a beautiful and amazing view to LA from your veranda and windows.
Your house is always so beautiful and so charming!

I am looking forward to see more photos of you and all your wonderful friends!
Sending to you lots of HUGS and much LOVE!!!

Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 8:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So sorry to be late commenting! And what a wonderful gathering of your friends. Your view is gorgeous!

I remember Annie from The Dick Van Dyke show! That's awesome that you are friends. And Earl Holliman - of course I remember him, but mostly from Gunsmoke - my late father's favorite show. So course, we all watched it.

I'm so glad to see you pictures and delighted you had such a nice gathering.

Hugs!

Monday, July 27, 2015 at 9:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Best parties ever are at your chateau! Happy Happy Birthday Naomi...I was about to say my friend and you know what? I think of you that way. So Happy Birthday my friend and many more. So wonderful to have such a great core of long time dear friends with whom to celebrate. Looking forward to part 2.. party on

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 2:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Everyone looks great! I'm thrilled that you were surrounded by friends for your birthday. Maddy's looks stunning, all grown up. I look for her. I remember Annie's character Millie on the DVD show and I see Earl Holliman in so many things, a cowboy most recently on some older show. Happy Birthday Well Wishes to you!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 8:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday (a little late) ...for some reason when i look at my sidebar of blogs yours doesn't show an update... anyway enjoyed reading about your birthday with friends and some of your memories and enjoyed the pics! You look marvelous by the way - 84...no way would I have believed that.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 12:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm looking forward to seeing part 2, Naomi, so I hope you can post it soon. I may have a surprise for you on my blog soon.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 8:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm insanely late, but I wish you the absolute best, dear Lady! I'm looking for ward to Part 2! Much love from Savannah, GA! ;) xxoxoo

Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 7:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your party looks marvellous! So important to be surrounded by good friends and neighbours on your special day. I love your 84 T-shirt, you look lovely in blue but I think you must have the number wrong as you certainly don't look 84 years old! I'm so glad you had a lovely gathering, and I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

Monday, August 3, 2015 at 6:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am glad you mentioned this post in your email!! YOu man not feel all that well but you look great! And so does everyone else, who I have grown accustomed to seeing at your gatherings! Lee is beautiful as ever and you are right that photo of Earl smiling is a good one! He looks great too!
I am so sorry I missed this.. I haven't been blog hopping much lately..busy with doctors and such..such fun.. NOT! lol

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 11:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy birthday, that is a very beautiful orchid.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 2:34:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

A real star studded party. Lovely to see your old friends obviously having a ball and you looking vibrant in blue.
Such a lovely room for entertaining and even prettier when the lights come on.
So glad to see you surrounded by loving friends.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 9:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happpy belated birthday. I haven't been around the blogs much; so glad when I got here to see good news and the lovely photos. Those flowers in the other blog were just gorgeous. Glad you have such wonderful friends and yes, Earl Holliman is still a hunk :)

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 3:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy belated birthday Naomi. I have not blogged since December 2014 so just thought I would check on yours on the off chance that you have posted. What a lovely surprise. I do love your parties and what fabulous guests and wonderful photos. You look great. You really do. And I agree with you and everyone else - Earl Holliman still has IT. As for Maddie - wowza, what a gorgeous young woman. Its all in the genes clearly!. Now off to read part two of your celebrations. xx

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 3:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful to have such dear old friends gathering for your birthday celebration. I cannot believe you are in your 80s! You really look fantastic. I love that first pic of you! Your eyes speak in that photo. I'm enjoying all the stories and background info. I feel like I know these people, I see them through the years as you share these moments and they seem so familiar to me. Thanks for sharing all the memories and stories of long-lasting friendships. It makes life so much sweeter to have these people around, especially for special celebrations. Can't wait to see and read more! Hugs and all the best...Ily xo

Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 1:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, first of all, you look marvelous! I think they got the numbers reversed on your birthday shirt! And that view is to die for!

It's fun to see your party and OK, I'll say I'm a little starstruck by your guest list. But what I love most about this is that people I have admired for years are, by the nature of being your longtime good friends, must indeed be wonderful people, wonderful human beings and individuals for I don't think you'd "allow" anything else. I've especially followed Anne M.G's career since my favorite Dick Van Dyke show and I'm especially pleased to find she is a dear friend and therefore by association, a lovely person. And it warms my heart that Betty's family is still right there with you!

What a glorious way to celebrate a birthday!

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 6:14:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.